How can I get more sound out of the sub in my Samsung HT in a box system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-27-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the the Samsung 7.1 home theater in a box system, model number HT-D6730W. The sub SUCKS. I barely get any bass out of it at all. It's on the highest setting volume level. It seems that all my bass is sent to my front speakers. How do I correct this? How do I prevent bass from being sent to the front speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyMonkey1 View Post

I have the the Samsung 7.1 home theater in a box system, model number HT-D6730W. The sub SUCKS. I barely get any bass out of it at all. It's on the highest setting volume level. It seems that all my bass is sent to my front speakers. How do I correct this? How do I prevent bass from being sent to the front speakers?

According to the user manual

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201202/20120202154053712/HT-D6730W_XAA_web_1226.pdf

page 35 says that there is a separate volume control for each speaker. Have you turned up the volume control for the subwoofer?

According to page 36, there is an automated calibration faclity.

Have you tried it?
post #3 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Do what Arnyk says above and then dump that subwoofer, it's not very good.

I think you have 3 different threads about the same thing. you've got a 6" passive sub that doesn't play very low.

Replace the subwoofer with a powered sub!
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-628

Afro GT
post #4 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
^^^ can he replace it? Doesn't the D6730W have an integrated blu-ray player which means that his passive sub draws its power from the blu-ray player. The wiring diagram looks like the speaker cables are proprietary and not universal (binding posts).
post #5 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

^^^ can he replace it? Doesn't the D6730W have an integrated blu-ray player which means that his passive sub draws its power from the blu-ray player. The wiring diagram looks like the speaker cables are proprietary and not universal (binding posts).

Yes, the receiver/BD player unit lacks a RCA jack for a powered subwoofer. The speaker terminals are proprietary which means that the best way to connect a third party sub would be to butcher the subwoofer cable and turn it into a pigtail.

If you had a powered sub with speaker level inputs, it might be possible to connect that pigtail to the powered subwoofer via them. The power drain on the receiver/BD player would be minimal.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ I figured there was a way to "modify" the cables but I wasn't sure about the "feeding" of two power sources to the sub and how that would, or could, affect playback. Never gave it too much though because I never had to deal with it. Is it possible to do what you suggest without affecting the audio output?
post #7 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

^^^ I figured there was a way to "modify" the cables but I wasn't sure about the "feeding" of two power sources to the sub and how that would, or could, affect playback. Never gave it too much though because I never had to deal with it. Is it possible to do what you suggest without affecting the audio output?

If one power source is the AC line and the other is a speaker connection, then there is no problem.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok. That makes sense. So there is no power sent to the existing sub via the proprietary connection or some circuitry that senses the passive sub and tells the Samsung that a sub is connected and to push the audio?
post #9 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No, I think its just plain speaker wire with a connector on it to make it easy for new HTIB users to avoid using bare wire.

I'm pretty sure he can just cut the wire and insert the bare ends into the subwoofer speaker terminals.

I still think he should just buy a real receiver whether that's now or a few months down the road. I cant stand HTIB systems like this.

Afro GT
post #10 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the added info. That's what I like about these forums, there's always something new to learn or to add to the old database wink.gif

I agree about the integrated systems. They sound good on paper.... Even though I have a HTiB I made sure the receiver did not have a built-in Blu-ray player and had 5-way binding posts as speaker terminals and a single sub cable out (among other requirements). Receivers seem to last longer than speakers so the ability to easily upgrade to what ever I want was a necessity.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Receivers seem to last longer than speakers so the ability to easily upgrade to what ever I want was a necessity.

I don't know if I agree with that. I've got some 20 year old speakers in one setup. 20 years ago you couldn't get a Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS receiver let alone anything with HDMI.

Afro GT
post #12 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I don't know if I agree with that. I've got some 20 year old speakers in one setup. 20 years ago you couldn't get a Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS receiver let alone anything with HDMI.

That is very true and maybe I shouldn't have been so general in my post, but it seems that a lot of of folks who ask questions here don't have the "age" advantage that some of us have.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page