Working around pre-installed speakers: is Sonos the way to go for 5.1? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-29-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Getting there on a Mac mini-based HTPC using a Mac mini and EyeTV with OTA using a Mohu Leaf, and a 60" Samsung 8000. I also have an Apple TV - largely but not wholly redundant for iTunes rentals and an easier Netflix experience - and I will be adding a PS3. Other devices are improbable; if OTA defeats me cable / TiVo would be a replacement, not an addition. And lastly, I need (want) a way to play music without the screen also being on.

The apartment came wired for stereo sound with ceiling speakers in three rooms. Can't see the brand but when I look at other fixtures I expect they are decent and in any case I don't want to remodel. It all has to look decent too.

The second room has an iMac I use as a secondary TV using EyeTV. Little use, but nice to know it's there.

So my question is what to put in that uses what is already there sensibly, with minimal installation.

In my old place, I had a Bose V30 and was actually very happy with it, but it was wired in and has been left. I'm not going that route again because, soundbar aside, I don't want to be installing speakers.

I am thinking of the following and would welcome thoughts.

Sonos Soundbar for front 3. (Connected to TV?)
Sonus Sub.
Sonos Connect: Amp for rear 2, also acting as the system hub.
Second Sonos Connect: Amp for second room. (Easy to route iMac sound to it wirlessly and keep in sync with video?)
Ideally would pair up single speaker in third room, bathroom, to second room Sonos Connect for radio. Can I drive two speakers from one connection?

This is quite expensive, though cheaper than most Bose.

I get that this would work fine with sound from TV which presumably takes care of the Mac mini TV, Apple TV, and future PS3.
I am guessing that this would fine with a second zone (whether or not with the bathroom) being the iMac, if the sound syncs.
I am much less clear on how iTunes AirPlay would work. I know I need an AirPort Express.

So I sense I am missing something or being too optimistic about all the input switching and two zones without a receiver. I do use a Harmony Remote and am quite comfortable with complexity of set-up, but I'd welcome thoughts.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page