Help me decide Logitech Z906 vs yamaha YHT298BL - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-29-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mainly this is my price limit goes around 350E with shipping included. I'm coming from a 2.1 Logitech Z-Cinema and I want to get a 5.1 as I'm watching movies a lot. The yamaha seems more having a dedicated AVR with hdmi passthrough and the the opportunity to upgrade the speakers if needed but I think the stock speakers are better on the logitech although not sure. Woofer its bigger sats are about the same size. Need some opinions here.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-YHT298BL-Home-Theatre-Package/dp/B0089DJ3AS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1377796228&sr=1-1&keywords=YHT298BL
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Z-906-Surround-Sound-Speakers/dp/B004MY4PU6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1377796846&sr=1-1&keywords=logitech+z906
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-30-2013, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Blaze2k,

l have the Z906 and l am happy with them. l have them connected to my Asus Xonar Phoebus, both via analogic and SPDIF (to try Dolby Digital and all). The sound of the Z906 will be as good as your sound card is. Otherwise, you will have to rely on the Z906 DAC.

l am currently considering buying a Yamaha receiver. IMO having a receiver is a long term investment (and sort of hobby/passion). You can always build up your system gradually, like adding new speakers, whereas with the Z906 you'll be stuck. For example, if l buy a new receiver, l cannot use the z906 speakers with it as they are 4 ohms and receivers work usually with 8 ohms speakers (sometimes you can set the receiver to work with 6 ohms speakers, which is still not good enough).

Long story short: l would definitely buy they Yamaha set as it probably sounds just as good or even better than the Logitech speakers (l am guessing here!! rolleyes.gif) and in the future, you can always buy new speakers and improve your setting. Just my opinion smile.gif

Good luck in any case!
post #3 of 6 Old 08-30-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Yamaha is known for building quality receivers. Logitech is not. I'd go with a real receiver. I have a Yamaha and love it. You can add any type of speakers (6/8 ohm) later on should you choose to upgrade and not be stuck with a proprietary speaker connection that you'd have to modify.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-10-2013, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just received Z906 yesterday replacing my faithful 15 years old Altec Lansing ADA890. The ADA890 is 4.1.

I must say that the old ADA890 sounds better than Z906.

There are 3 big disadvantages about z906:-
1) No tweeter, the overall sound emphasize more on bass or boomy. Treble is horrible without tweeter. Listening to music? Forget it, z906 does not qualify.
2) Over aggressive subwoofer. The bass is aggressive, which means the subwoofer respond more on slightly higher frequency above 80Hz, which make the overall sound boomy but over time ears will get tired for those unnecessary boosted bass. The subwoofer can't play well at deep bass ( very low frequency bass)
3) No fuse protection for subwoofer/control board. ADA890 has it at convenience, and i had replaced them 2~3 times. I donno how long my z906 can last.
4) No LCD display for that price, using poorly built control panel. I have friend complaint the power button has broken after 1 year of use.

I would say z906 aims for movie and gaming, and for those who likes boomy sound. The Satellite is about 760g each.

I don't like z906 a bit. I am replacing all the satellite speakers with the cheap Audio Pro SB-1 speakers which will arrive in next 3 days, and i believe the sound will be better. I can't do much about the stupid subwoofer anyway unless i replace the whole system. Why not just use home theater system you ask? Because of the lioness at home... the AVR is too obvious and unable to hide from her. One thing i dislike about AVR is it takes 1~2 seconds to detect the source to respond whenever sound format change, and also from pause to continue.

The price of speakers for PC is always overprice if we compare same price vs quality with home theater system.
Yamaha is a very clear winner in this case. It has also advantage of decoding DTS MA and DD True HD (should be)
aheste likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-16-2013, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've bought the RX-V373 and NS-P40. The receiver is quite nice and the speakers are decent for this kind of money. Not only that, I can upgrade in the future if I feel it is necessary. Thanks for the opinions.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-17-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze2k View Post

I've bought the RX-V373 and NS-P40. The receiver is quite nice and the speakers are decent for this kind of money. Not only that, I can upgrade in the future if I feel it is necessary. Thanks for the opinions.

You'll be much happier over time than anything you could buy from Logitech. You are correct in that the NS-P40 speakers are ok, but they're not bad for a budget starter because you can always upgrade them to just about anything in the future. Good speakers can make or break a system regardless of the receiver (to a point). The RX-V373 is a very nice entry level receiver that meets most user's needs.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Selected Z906 5 1 Surround Sound Spkrs By Logitech Inc , Logitech Inc Z906 5 1 Surround Sound Spkrs
Gear in this thread - Z906 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page