AVS Forum banner

Onkyo HT-S3300 - Can't get surround sound going

856 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  The Stanchion 
#1 ·
OK, so I am COMPLETELY new to this, so I apologize for asking anything stupid.

Here is my situation. I have a flat screen TV, an old original Xbox 360 (which means no HDMI, it's the HD converter plug), an optical cable, and a S3300. I have hooked up the speakers according to the manual. When I try and get surround sound going, though (with only having option A selected), it just gives me central and rear speakers and sub woofer. If I got to B settings, it gives me two front speakers (so I know the speakers can all actually produce sound.)

I have scoured all of the internets, ALL OF IT, to try and figure out what I am doing wrong. I believe I have murdered at least 17 pillows in my quest to figure this out, and I don't want anymore feathers on my hands, so I come to these forums to see if anyone can help.

When I hit "Display" it says 5.1 . I have gone through all of the settings (Movie, Game, etc) and none of them make the front speakers do anything. I am testing it on Lord of the Rings DVD being played through my Xbox. I have the Xbox audio set to Dolby 5.1 as well.

I have no idea what to do. All I do now is press buttons and mutter to myself a lot. Sometimes I run around listening to the speakers, hearing nothing, and thinking the wind might have been sound. Sometimes I talk at each speaker and add sound effects to the movie I am watching so I can re-create the lost audio.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? The set up is:

Xbox HD cables to receiver blue, green, red cables), receiver cables (blue, green, red) to TV for my visuals.

Audio is optical plugged into the Xbox then into the receiver into Opt 1.

It is set to Cbl/Sat plug ins, and the Cbl/Sat digital audio is set to Opt 1.

Help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

See less See more
#3 ·
YES. Thank you. Of course it's the stupidest thing ever. It all just "clicked" for me. The back of the receiver has inputs that have colored switches on them that the wires go into, and the HTIB came with colored wires, so I, being the idiot that I am, simply matched color to color. Not understanding that A and B are separated from each other (I assumed A put on back speakers and B put on front speakers) I assumed a setting was wrong. Alas the two front speakers on A are separate from the other switches on the back and not color coded. Sigh.

Thank you so much loveinthehd, I was losing my mind over this hahaha. Going to go fix it now. I think I might even understand how it works a little bit now too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.