Which one to choose?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-05-2013, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi. I have $1000.00 to spend and would like to know which system to buy. I know that the really good ones aren't going to be at this price range but I'm not spending more than 1k. Everyone seems to hate Bose. Had my eye on one if their systems but now I'm not so sure. I have a living room with vaulted ceilings and wood flooring. Rectangle 16x20.

Thank you!!
Atayeu likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-05-2013, 07:18 AM

Liked: 11
You beat me to it. I have been browsing this forum for information about the same type of system in that exact price range. I know there are many many threads with good information but sometimes threads get so long it's difficult to pull out specific, newer, information about questions like this. I hope people chime in with some suggestions.
Atayeu likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-05-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
If you want a Home Theater In A Box, IMO the best one is the Onkyo HT-S9400THX and it's under your $1,000 budget. You can buy refurbished units from shoponkyo.com or accessories4less.com they can be had for a very good price.

Now for $1000 you could look into buying seperate pieces of equipment which in the end will give you the best performance, BUT you need to decide if $1k is the max budget AND if you could spend $1k now and maybe another $1k in the future.
Atayeu likes this.

Shawn
post #4 of 10 Old 09-05-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 418
If you want a complete system and don't feel like shopping around for individual pieces the Onkyo 9400 is probably the best way to go.

accessories4less has a refurb for $600 and amazon has a new system for $775
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS9400/Onkyo-HT-S9400-THX-7.1-Ch-Network-Home-Theater-Receiver/Speaker/1.html

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S9400THX-7-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B004VK0IOS/ref=pd_cp_e_2

If you're willing to work a little harder you can find some better deals by purchasing individual components and piecing everything together.

Where are you located? Do you have a Fry's close by?
Atayeu likes this.

Afro GT
post #5 of 10 Old 09-11-2013, 01:20 PM

Liked: 10
This thread is exactly what I was looking for as well. I like the Onkyo but I'm all for getting better gear with a lesser price.
You suggest buying parts separately. Do you suggest getting a receiver and a speaker system separate or even more so separate such as receiver, speaker 1, speaker 2, speaker 3 etc.?

What kind of speakers do you suggest? JBL I hear are phenomenal but will quickly burn a hole in your pocket, same with Bose. What about Pioneer or Yamaha speakers etc?

When choosing should we rely on the receiver to power our speakers? Thus suggesting we find an appropriate receiver to our liking and base our speaker selection off of the outputted power and ohm ratings of the receiver.

Or is there another style with an amp we can wire into our home theater system?(suggest or suggest against?)

Do you suggest 7.1 over 5.1? I found a 5.1 priced the same as the Onkyo (probably due to the benefits of the receivers and maybe speakers in comparison?). Some say there isn't that big of a deal What's everyone's opinion on that.
For example this unit I found here has a VERY nice receiver and speakers but drops to a 5.1.(Yamaha doesn't seem to make a 7.1 HTiB neither does pioneer for that matter)

www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-899UBL-5-1-Channel-Home-Theater/dp/B00BW0X6E4/ref=sr_1_115?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1376064505&sr=1-115
Priced at $750 as well.
(sum it up should we drop to a 5.1 for all the other benefits?)

What about Decoders? Are there specific decoders we should look for when choosing a receiver? I certainly don't want to buy one and find i was duped due to missing decoders that can make a system perform much better.(Dolby and DTS,Dolby Pro Logic IIz)

Sorry about all the questions I just can't find the answers I'm looking for when browsing the web. =/ Any help is EXTREMELY appreciated.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-12-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

If you want to buy seperates I suggest an Onkyo or Denon AVR mainly because they have Audyssey Auto Room Correction EQ which IMO is the best Auto EQ. I have Onkyo and am a huge fan and I never had an issue with their stuff but I know lately ppl are reporting HDMI board issues, so that may push you towards Denon.

For speakers some good budget speakers are: Polk Monitor Series on newegg.com, Infinity Primus Speakers, Pioneer Andrew Jones Speakers, also BIC America and BIC Acoustech from acousticsounddesign.com.

For a subwoofer the best bang for buck budget sub is the Klipsch RW12D on newegg.com, but it might be discontinued now. Some other subs to consider would be BIC America F12, BIC Acoustech PL-200, NXG Tech NX-BAS-500, Hsu STF2, or the best bang for buck subwoofer with sub 20hz performance would be the SVS PB1000.

You can start with a 3.1 system for now just buy an AVR, a subwoofer, and the front 3 speakers. Next add a pair of side surrounds. Next add a pair rear surrounds. Next add a 2nd identical sub. And now you have a pretty good 7.2 system all without breaking the bank.

Shawn
post #7 of 10 Old 09-12-2013, 02:26 PM

Perhaps you can help me with the Floor standing speakers and an AVR first.
for an AVR i picked:
Onkyo TX-NR717

Reason: alot cheaper than the denon equivalent.

FloorStanding speaker options:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290277
OR
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-P363-Three-way-Floorstanding/dp/B0046A8R3M
OR
http://www.frys.com/product/6181379?site=sa:adpages%20page:P33_SUN%20date:090813

(Didn't list the suggested Andrew Jones series as they all say "ideal for 5.1")
Also as amazin as the BICs look theyre out of my price

What's your suggestions on the three i listed? Or perhaps if you know of some in the same price range than could be better?
post #8 of 10 Old 09-18-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

What is your new budget? And how many speakers does that budget include? Is there a seperate fund for the sub(s).

Shawn
post #9 of 10 Old 09-18-2013, 10:46 AM

My budget is ~$700 at once. However the idea of purchasing pieces at a time set an idea off. I own Two PA speakers and an 18 inch subwoofer. (yeah lol quite a bit more than needed for at home as i use it for DJ venues on the go.) But if i were to get front 2 speakers and center channel at once then i think i could use the MASSIVE sub i have now and pa for rear until another paycheck to replace them with at home permanent ones.

two PA run off a mixer/amp combo themselves. and Sub woofer has its own amp for power.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-18-2013, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i have been struggling with either a HTIB or other routes myself. Right now i'm kind of afraid of Onkyo because of all the complaints with their hdmi boards. I did find this Yamaha RX-V673 on sale today, but not sure what 7.1 speakers i can pair with it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JF85WE/ref=gno_cart_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Theater Build thread here
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page