Random shutdown of Yamaha HTR-3065 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-08-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, my wife and I have been having a weird problem with our HTR-3065 recently. We got the receiver as a part of our Yamaha YHT-397 5.1-Channel Home Theater System when Amazon had it on a huge special earlier this year. Attached to it are the components that came with it plus the Sony BDP and TV in my sig.

Recently it's been shutting off randomly and I can't figure out why. It just did it twice today and it's done it once before to me about two weeks ago. The first time I was watching a Blu-Ray movie on my BDP-S3100 and today both times it happened we were watching football from our cable box.

I originally thought it had to do with overheating, we keep it in a glass-front cabinet and typically don't open it at all while it's operating. The cabinet does have a couple of holes in the back for cabling so it's not completely sealed. When it did it the first time it didn't do it again after I opened up the cabinet. Today I once again opened the cabinet after it shut off but then about 40 minutes later it did it again with the cabinet door open. Can I rule out thermal overload or not? Does this model have any issues with random loss of power? I'm kind of at a loss, any help is appreciated! eek.gif

**Receiver is on the bottom-most shelf in the middle glass door cabinet**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-09-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone? Anyone at all? I'd appreciate some insight...
post #3 of 5 Old 09-09-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Your receiver is the RX-V373. I have HTR-3064 which is the RX-V371 receiver. I've never noticed the receiver getting hot at all and it is on all of the time (at least whenever we are using the HTS for tv or movies). Our media console is similar to yours only the center channel is on an open shelf underneath the tv, the blu-ray player on another open shelf underneath the center speaker, and the receiver on another open shelf underneath the blu-ray plater. There are no cabinet doors on any of the shelves. It does sound like there is an over-heating issues and the 373 is going into safe mode (auto-shutdown). I've never seen overheating reported on either your receiver (373) or mine (371) but that doesn't meant it can't happen. It should still be under warranty so I'd give Yamaha a call.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-15-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply man, sorry for the late post! It had never done that before and the only thing I had changed was the power setting. I set it to auto-shutdown after 2 hours of inactivity. I have since turned off the auto-shutdown feature and it hasn't done that at all! So weird, I guess the receiver considers itself inactive if you're just sitting there watching stuff for a while? If you don't press any buttons or anything like that? Not sure what that's about but it seems to be just fine again.

Again, thanks for the reply! I'll keep an eye on it and if it does it again I'll call Yamaha!
post #5 of 5 Old 09-15-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Yeah, I don't use auto-shutdown. I just use my Harmony to power everything on when I want to watch tv, a movie, stream, or music and then turn it all off when done.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page