Help setting up 5.1 Surround Sound (Please I'm Desperate lol) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 09-19-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys need some help. I am a noobie when it comes to 5.1 proper hookup.

I have a shaw HD digital cable box
5.1 CH Samsung 3D Blu ray surround system
Samsung UN60F7100 60-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D HDTV

Now the way i have things hooked up now, when i am on a digital 5.1 channel on my cable box, i am getting only 2 channel sound, from the center speaker and the subwoofer. I assume i need to use the ARC setup but i am a little confused how to do it or if not arc just come way to get all the speakers to work even when im playing a blu ray 5.1 movie......The surround system has HDMI in and out and does support arc. The samsung tv has HDMI 2 set as the arc functioner. So how should i hook things up to get it going in 5.1 sound when watching tv via my hd cable box or a blu ray movie? Any help appreciated

P.S. - If any more info is required for any of the above devices feel free to let me know smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-20-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Connect the HD Cable Box directly to your surround receiver via HDMI then HDMI out of surround receiver into TV. Remember receivers are actually AVR's (audio/video receivers) they handle and switch both audio and video. So when possible it is always best to run everything into your receiver preferably with HDMI then HDMI out to the TV. The receiver will just pass the video thru to the TV but with the audio going directly into the receiver you will get the best possible sound.

Most TVs only output Dolby Digital 2 channel stereo thru ARC which is why it is better to run directly into the receiver.

Shawn
post #3 of 20 Old 09-21-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, that worked and the sound is great, however one more question: once i have the hdmi from my receiver going to my tv, i have 2 choices. I can use HDMI 1 (STB) or HDMI 2 (ARC) on my tv. Which port would be better to use for surround?
post #4 of 20 Old 09-21-2013, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

s
post #5 of 20 Old 09-21-2013, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Hi thuggy1111, if you're going be using the tv apps then use HDMI-2 (ARC). Then go into the Samsung AnyNet + menu (both tv and surround system) to set ARC to "on" and External Speaker to from "Tv Speaker" to "Receiver". You may have to power off and on the components.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-22-2013, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

ok thanks i will try it now
post #7 of 20 Old 09-22-2013, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

i do have one issue now that i didnt have before. Everytime i shut off my receiver and blu ray player and turn then back on, i have to manually change the blu ray player source back to hdmi on the blu ray before the tv comes on. The blu ray starts up each time on automatically on source: D IN which is kinda annoying. My old setup used D IN but now that i have the blu ray connected to HDMI ARC i am wondering why the blu ray player now requires me to choose HDMI as my source rather than D IN ?
post #8 of 20 Old 09-22-2013, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

looks like i fixed it, i just had to reset my tv settings
post #9 of 20 Old 09-22-2013, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

hmmm seems like its doing it again. Heres what happens: when I power off both the tv and blu ray and then turn them both back on, the receiver doesnt automatically go to the hdmi source on the blu ray(which is the source for the surround to work with the tv). Instead if just pops up the main menu screen and tells me to select the right source so then I have to click the tv source button a few times on the blu ray remote and go to hdmi. I want the blu ray to automatically be on the correct source when i turn the tv and blu ray on so im not sure why it goes to the menu screen on the blu ray each time and makes me manually go to the hdmi source. Any ideas?? My current setup is as suggested above. Am i better off using the D IN source for 5.1 with my tv instead of HDMI source on the blu ray? Does it make any difference for sound quality?

but if im not going to use tv apps should i just not use arc and go back to the "D IN" source and connect back the old way? Or would an optical cable added in to the mix help and then i could just use the default "D IN"?

P.S. - whats my best bet when adding my xbox into the mix so i can use my speakers as well. I know xbox only outputs 2 channel or 5.1 for some games???(im not sure) but i would still like the xbox to access my speakers as well? HDMI to tv then optical from tv to receiver or what do you think.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-22-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuggy1111 View Post

but if im not going to use tv apps should i just not use arc and go back to the "D IN" source and connect back the old way? Or would an optical cable added in to the mix help and then i could just use the default "D IN"?
I would think the apps on the tv and player system are about the same. So turn off ARC and use the player's apps.

The optical out on the Samsung tv most likely will not pass DD 5.1 when using HDMI inputs.
Quote:
P.S. - whats my best bet when adding my xbox into the mix so i can use my speakers as well. I know xbox only outputs 2 channel or 5.1 for some games???(im not sure) but i would still like the xbox to access my speakers as well? HDMI to tv then optical from tv to receiver or what do you think.
How is the cable box connected at this moment?
post #11 of 20 Old 09-22-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

right now i have Cable Box directly to surround receiver via HDMI then HDMI out of surround receiver into TV (not using HDMI 2 arc anymore i am using HDMI 1(STB) on the tv). By doing this though i have an annoying issue where every time i power down my blu ray and start it up, the receiver automatically starts at D IN as the source and then tells me to select the correct source. I am wondering why it wont auto detect which port im on with the tv and switch on its own. So i have to manually scroll to HDMI source before i get audio on the receiver to watch tv. I am trying to figure out how to get the blu ray to automatically turn on with HDMI as the main source but it doesnt currently. I also have AnyNet+ on. I am tempted to reset all settings on the tv and blu ray at this point lol. I know its a minor issue, but just one thats kinda annoying me lol.

Oh and the only ports i have left that i can use on the cable box available to use is an e sata and an optical as well as red and white audio. I may have more but im not at home currently to check. Any help appreciated.
post #12 of 20 Old 09-22-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The issue is that CEC devices (Anynet+) can only automatically recognize other CEC devices as being active. Cable boxes do not have CEC, so when you turn things on, the TV and/or receiver do not recognize that the cable box is there. Probably no way around that short of getting a programmable remote.
post #13 of 20 Old 09-22-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

well the remote that comes with the samsung tv says it can control any device and be paired with them, maybe that would work?

My tv is a:

Samsung UN60F7100 and the surround is Samsung 3D Blu Ray 5.1 HT-F5500

Oh and to clarify, i am wondering why the blu ray receiver doesnt recognize the HDMI 1 connection on the tv, not the cable box. The cable comes into the receiver and then the receiver HDMI goes out to the tv. Shouldnt the blu ray pick that up?

However, when i had my old setup, where the cable box went to the tv and the tv to the blu ray, it recognized it automatically but it ran through D IN. Kinda confusing why that worked. But i didnt want to go that route as you had mentioned that the best sound is from the cable box to receiver then receiver to tv.

oh and currently i have the hdmi from my xbox going to the tv. Is that a good setup or should i try something else for quality. And would optical help with the xbox setup to the blu ray or tv?
post #14 of 20 Old 09-22-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Then go into the Samsung AnyNet + menu (both tv and surround system) to set ARC to "on" and External Speaker to from "Tv Speaker" to "Receiver"

Ok so now that i am not using ARC should i also adjust any of these settings as well? I do have an option to pick external device but i dont have any items i can select when i enter it. Too bad i couldnt select the cable box but i dont know how it would have that option. That might have solved my issue with the sound. Any chance sells a CEC switch or any connector that could recognize non samsung devices

P.S. thanks for all the help so far
post #15 of 20 Old 09-22-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 262
If you want a good programmable remote, I'd suggest a Harmony. There are others but they seem to be relatively easy to program and can handle most simple home systems. The remotes that come with receivers, etc are programmable but they don't always work well with all systems. I use an old Harmony 880 which easily switches between inputs and devices with literally a single press of a button.
post #16 of 20 Old 09-22-2013, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

yah probably another remote would solve my issue. However, i notice the blu ray does ask for a postal code upon setup. When i put in mine it recognizes 2 of the cable companies in my area but not the current one im on which is shaw. So maybe if i put in a different postal code it would pull up the cable company i am using and pick it up? aybe that would solve my issue bot not sure.
post #17 of 20 Old 09-22-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

What do you watch/listen the most, cable box, bluray, xbox, etc...)?
post #18 of 20 Old 09-22-2013, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

cable box
post #19 of 20 Old 09-22-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Then my suggestion for connection would be:

HT-F5500 -> HDMI cable -> UN60F7100 HDMI-2

Cable box -> HDMI cable -> UN60F7100 HDMI-1

Cable box -> Optical cable - HT-F5500 Digital Audio In

Xbox 360 -> HDMI cable -> HT-F5500 HDMI In
post #20 of 20 Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

ok great, i will try that this evening and thanks !! I shouldnt have audio quality loss this way i assume, and the tv will still be connected to the blu ray surround?
Reply Home Theater In A Box