Looking to buy a home theater, Budget 400-500 please help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 09-22-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello, how is everyone doing?

i know this question has been asked alot but every year home theater models change and new updates are made.

so i have around 400-500 to spend in a home theater i was already looking at some options but im not sure which one to go with.

i mainly want it for games,movies, and music.

i was thinking about the Bose Cinemate GSII, Yamaha YHT-397 5.1, Onkyo HT-S3500,Onkyo HT-S5500 7.1 , or the Sony BDV-E370 Sony 5.1 (which i currently have in one of my bedrooms sounds nice but i would like to know if i can buy something better with my budget).

i would like to know what you guys think i want the best sound for my buck. i know 500 is not alot but thats all i have to play with.

if you guys have any input on speakers , receivers, and subwoofers i can buy separately i would like to see.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-26-2013, 01:09 PM

I'd like to buy one also, but would like to limit myself to 300.

The Yamaha YHT 497 is available on eBay from Newegg for 305, and you can 8% back in eBay bucks! It's refurbished though. I'm very tempted. haha
post #3 of 21 Old 09-26-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Yamaha, Denon, and Onkyo all make nice entry level systems in that price range. I have a Yamaha system and it has been a rock solid performer for us with absolutely no problems at all. I'd stay away from Bose and probably Sony as well. Stick with somebody who is known to build quality receivers, and I recommend not going with an all-in-one system (integrated blu-ray). The speakers will be the weakest link in that price range but if you buy smart, you can easily upgrade the speakers to almost anything you want as your budget allows. Ideally you'd want to buy separates (receiver, speakers, blu-ray, etc) and build from there but your budget is pretty tight.
post #4 of 21 Old 09-27-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

so i guess i cut down my options to Yamaha YHT-397 5.1, Onkyo HT-S3500,Onkyo HT-S5500 7.1 . unless someone input a better choice i am not in a rush to get one so ill just wait till i get a good input from someone.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-29-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

what about the Yamaha RX-V665 7.2 ?
post #6 of 21 Old 09-29-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 415
RX-V665 is from 2009 but does have 4 HDMI inputs. As long as it has the features you need it'll be fine.

i"m guessing you're getting a great deal on it? You still need to purchase speakers and a sub.

Afro GT
post #7 of 21 Old 09-29-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

RX-V665 is from 2009 but does have 4 HDMI inputs. As long as it has the features you need it'll be fine.

i"m guessing you're getting a great deal on it? You still need to purchase speakers and a sub.

They are offering it for 350 with speakers and subs

post #8 of 21 Old 09-29-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Well, if you test it out and they sound good and everything is in good condition.....

the Yamaha RX-V665 is a better receiver than the other ones you mentioned.

Afro GT
post #9 of 21 Old 09-29-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

i didnt test anything out yet i found it on Craigslist. i wanted to see what people think of it.
post #10 of 21 Old 10-06-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

So from Yamaha YHT-397 5.1, Onkyo HT-S3500,Onkyo HT-S5500 7.1 which one has a better sound quality? or is there any package i can build by buying things separately? i am very new to the home theater world so i usually go for HTIB rather then building a system.
post #12 of 21 Old 10-06-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

"Better sound" is a bit subjective because you can't go on published specs alone, and everybody hears a bit differently. Listening environment also plays a big part. If possible, I'd try to listen to them first at your local big box or where ever.
post #13 of 21 Old 10-06-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

"Better sound" is a bit subjective because you can't go on published specs alone, and everybody hears a bit differently. Listening environment also plays a big part. If possible, I'd try to listen to them first at your local big box or where ever.

well i dont have any store around where i live that have them on display. then from reviews or specs which one would be a better buy?
post #14 of 21 Old 10-06-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a Yamaha so my opinion is biased. It runs cool, has all of the audio/video enhancements that I need, and has been rock solid going on 2 years.
post #15 of 21 Old 10-11-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

anyone have any inputs? on the systems i listed?
post #16 of 21 Old 10-24-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

So i am down to 2 systems

YAMAHA YHT-397 5.1-Channel Home Theater System

or

DENON DHT-1513BA Home Theater System w/ Boston Acoustics Speakers

which one is a better buy and has a better sound?

i will live in a dorm so i dont need too much power. i want something i can watch movies and play games and have a great sound experience.

budget is 300. 350 max!
post #17 of 21 Old 10-24-2013, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

So i am down to 2 systems

YAMAHA YHT-397 5.1-Channel Home Theater System

or

DENON DHT-1513BA Home Theater System w/ Boston Acoustics Speakers

which one is a better buy and has a better sound?

i will live in a dorm so i dont need too much power. i want something i can watch movies and play games and have a great sound experience.

budget is 300. 350 max!
post #18 of 21 Old 10-24-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I would say the Denon because of the BA speakers (better rep than the Yamaha speakers) but living in a dorm, you probably wouldn't be able to hear the difference anyway. FWIW, I have the comparable Yamaha system and the speakers that came with it work very well for our HTS which is in a medium sized room with a 12' cathedral ceiling. The trick on these small speakers is to know how set them up to get the maximum performance out of them. Of course we don't listen to them any louder than about -20dB so they're just fine for us.
post #19 of 21 Old 10-25-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would say the Denon because of the BA speakers (better rep than the Yamaha speakers) but living in a dorm, you probably wouldn't be able to hear the difference anyway. FWIW, I have the comparable Yamaha system and the speakers that came with it work very well for our HTS which is in a medium sized room with a 12' cathedral ceiling. The trick on these small speakers is to know how set them up to get the maximum performance out of them. Of course we don't listen to them any louder than about -20dB so they're just fine for us.

i dont have the exact meassurements of the room but its not that big.

and what i liked about the yamaha that it calibrates easier. but the denon i have to do it manually.
post #20 of 21 Old 10-25-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm on the fence about using the auto-cal feature on these entry level systems, especially with the supplied speakers. I think you'd be better off manually calibrating your speakers for your listening enjoyment and room conditions. There's nothing wrong with using the auto-cals, and a lot of people swear by them, but there are also a lot of people who were less than satisfied with the results on these systems and ended up modifying the auto-cal which sort of defeats the purpose. You don't have to use the auto-cal feature so you could always manually calibrate your system and then use the auto-cal when you get better speakers or move to a larger environment. The best of both worlds so to speak.
post #21 of 21 Old 10-25-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm on the fence about using the auto-cal feature on these entry level systems, especially with the supplied speakers. I think you'd be better off manually calibrating your speakers for your listening enjoyment and room conditions. There's nothing wrong with using the auto-cals, and a lot of people swear by them, but there are also a lot of people who were less than satisfied with the results on these systems and ended up modifying the auto-cal which sort of defeats the purpose. You don't have to use the auto-cal feature so you could always manually calibrate your system and then use the auto-cal when you get better speakers or move to a larger environment. The best of both worlds so to speak.

i have no idea how to calibrate the system, so idk which one to go with :/
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Bose Cinemate Gs Series Ii Digital Home Theater Speaker System , Yamaha Yht 397 5 1 Channel Home Theater System , Onkyo Ht S3500 5 1 Channel Home Theater Speaker Receiver Package , Sony Bdv E370 Sony 5 1 Blu Ray Disc System 3d Compatible
Gear in this thread - E370 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page