Looking to upgrade my Yamaha YHT-495BL HTIB, but... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-04-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey everyone,

Hopefully this post is landing in the correct forum.

I'm sure this is over stated on here, but I'm new and I don't really have any tech friends that can share advice on how to improve my new HT interest.  About 2 years ago I was just looking for a reasonable quality surround sound.  After listening to a few products and trying to use my best judgement for future value based on my limited budget I settled with that Yamaha YHT-495BL.  I concluded at the time that at least getting an entry level receiver and sub was of some value if this new found hobby turned into something.  Well, it has and I've since hit a fork in the road and want to transition my system into something better. 

The receiver that came bundled was the RX-V371 and seems to me after some reading that it the specs should be sufficient enough to use as a starter for a more complete system or is it?.  And now I'm stuck. 

Should I consider selling the entire system for a hundred or two and move on fresh? Would purchasing a quality left, right and center channels, and using the current surrounds until I can purchase a new receiver around the upcoming holidays be better?  Or would it make more sense to upgrade my receiver and just buy a quality left and right channel now and then add a center and better bookshelves later?  

My budget will be around $1000 when it's all said and done, $600 of which is immediately available. I finally got around to mounting my TV so space for a larger center channel won't be an issue nor will space for front floor standing speakers.  I would really benefit from a little guidance.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-04-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I have the RX-V371 and it certainly is a good receiver for a starter system. It depends on what you want from your receiver. You don't have the auto-cal feature but you can certainly get excellent sound by manually calibrating it. It's also 5.1 only so if you think you might want 7.1 down the road, now might not be a bad idea to change. However, you could upgrade the front sound stage (R/L, Center, sub) with a really nice set of speakers at your price point and keep the satellites that came with the original setup for the sides. It would sound like a whole new system.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-05-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!  I agree having an auto-calibration would be very convenient.  I will probably just buy Disney: WOW to calibrate once I start making purchases.  

I'm currently looking at the Polk TSi & Monitors series, the BIC DV 64 & 84 series and the Klipsch synergy & RF-42 lines as possible suitors. Am I missing a brand I should be hearing?  I noticed that a few models have either a gold plated terminal on the back or an equivalent.  Will these backs expose for bare wire (center channel) like the back of my receiver does now for the left & right channels?  What speaker line have you run on the RX-V371?  I certainly don't want to ruin any equipment.  

post #4 of 12 Old 11-05-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't worry too much about gold plated terminals and what not. That's more marketing than anything else, and another reason to charge more. I just ran bare wire for all of my speakers (except the sub of course) because I was lazy. Unless you move your speakers a lot or are in an area of high humidity, I don't think it really makes a difference, at least not a perceptual audio difference. Banana plugs are more secure and do offer more protection but that's up to you. As to the wire, my run is only about 35' from receiver to the sides so I just used 2-wire, ribbed, 16AWG heater cord wire. It was only about $0.16 per foot at the local hardware store. I run my speakers at 8ohms so the length and gauge are just fine.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-06-2013, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
OP,

Two years ago all I wanted was a 5.1 soundbar setup. I ended up with the 395BL which was a slight step down from your system and also uses the same reciever. A year ago I upgraded to POLK Monitor 60s and a CS1 center. This made a huge difference and the 60s are the same as the TSI 400 but without the glossy cabinet. Newegg just had them on sale for $99 each. I do plan on upgrading the surround speakers and perhaps the center to the CS2.

If you plan on staying at 5.1 keep your reciever unless you want HDMI 2.0 or 4K. If you want 7.1 Newegg has the 7.1 version of your receiver on sale and it includes YAPO calibration
post #6 of 12 Old 11-06-2013, 05:51 AM

Upgrading the sub will make a huge difference for movies. A lot of people recommended the Dayton SUB-1200 as a good starter budget sub. I upgraded to a Klipsch RW12D and its much better than the Yamaha sub that came with the system.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-06-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, keeping the receiver unless you think you may need what was mentioned above is a good idea, and just upgrade the speakers. Good speakers can make a mediocre receiver sound great, but not so good speakers can make a great receiver sound bad. Upgrade the front sound stage and leave the sides for now.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-06-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

pkrfan-

Thanks for the insight!  I have a feeling this is going to turn into an extensive process, but at least an enjoyable one.  I'll look closer at the monitors you suggested.  It looks as though the 60s are discontinued from the limited search I just did (albeit not extensive, hard to surf at work). I'm really considering holding out another few weeks.  Last year I was strongly considering an upgrade and just didn't pull the trigger. I  remember Fry's and Amazon having a few ridiculous sales around the holidays, esp cyber monday.

I'm planning on keeping my receiver.  I'm fairly confident I will go 7.1 or possibly even 7.2 in the future, but I'm going to focus on one addition at a time.  I think the transition will be L,C,R channels and a Sub like you and OP mentioned and then in Feb/March new receiver and remaining speaker to complete my basements 5.1.  This will leave room for additions when I have money available.  

Thanks again for your suggestions, I'm going into this blind, and going off reviews and suggestions.  I admit that was probably the main reason I didn't roll the dice last season when I was looking to upgrade.  The BB down the street unfortunately doesn't carry much that I can listen too.  They push their Magnolia stuff which is all too high end for me.

post #9 of 12 Old 11-06-2013, 09:34 AM

Best Buy has the Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers you can demo and they are highly recommended on the speaker forum. I didn't like them because you had turn the volume knob more to get the same volume as the monitors.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-06-2013, 09:40 AM

Polk replaced the monitor 60 with the monitor 65t. The 70's became the 75t. Same for the entire monitor series. The sale on newegg just ended. The 60s have not been available for about 9 months since the new versions came out.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-11-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

The newegg sale popped back up for the Monitor60 Series II at 99.99/ea I grabbed those and the CS2 center channel.  

post #12 of 12 Old 11-12-2013, 07:53 PM

Well done. I want the CS2 as well.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page