Energy Classic vs Monoprice 10565 (and receiver) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-25-2013, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Yet another budget HT setup here. I used to have a Bose Acoustimass 10, however I sold it when I moved. I've been told I can do the same or better for less.

Room/Setup:
The viewing area is small, most likely 15x15. However the room itself is a combination of two rooms and a vaulted ceiling. 15x32x18 (LxWxH). I already have a Vizio E701i-A3 TV (70" LED).

Speakers:
Energy Take Classic OR Monoprice 10565.
My research indicates that both systems are very similar, however the Enegery Classic essentually is visually more appealing and has a better warrenty. If the Energy classic drops down to $299 (as it frequently does) I will go with them. For now I'm considering the Monoprice speakers.

Receiver:
I'm looking for a receiver that's primary purpose is sound output. I have a smart TV, all the other fancy features would not be necessary in the receiver. I also require an IR in jack as the unit will be in a different room.
I searched though accesories4less and found a Onkyo TX-NR414 reciever, with free shipping it appears to be an excellent deal at $188.88.

So (with shipping) it's $288.80 for speakers and $188.88 for the receiver. The total comes to $476.88 (includes tax + shipping).

Product Links
Monoprice 10565 Speakers OR Amazon Energy Classic Speakers

Receiver: A4Less Onkyo TX-NR414

TV: Amazon E701i-A3

So my question to you is there a better speaker/receiver configuration I should consider over this unit for nearly the same price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-25-2013, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I like your choices and when I was redoing my home theater and had I not had a 7.1 Polk set up with an 2nd center channel this is the set up I would have, with a little change, an TW-NR515 from acc4less and Monoprices does sell satellite speakers for there home theater system. The high ceiling would be great for one variation of the 7.1, that having high fronts. Take a look at acc4less website there is some good info for that, the 515 has it, and run the Audyssey setup it will sound full. I have the 7.1 set up with 2 side and 2 back channels plus the 2 center channels wired series if I remember right that gives the system a strong sound stage and the fronts spread wide. I have say that NASCAR does sound like you are getting run over, and just about everything that is 5.1 sounds great. I know its more money but I think its worth it.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-07-2014, 06:33 PM

I'm just putting together a setup similar to the one Phil17108 suggested. I've got the 515 and the Monoprice speakers. I would encourage you to get the monoprice speakers. I found them on Amazon for 178 with free shipping. Model number is 110565 on Amazon. I've only got the 5.1 setup, but I've currently got two old tower speakers up front as well. I've got almost the same room zenvent. Maybe slightly larger with the vaulted ceiling and a set of open stairs in the connected room. I think the speakers and sub do a great job of filling the room with sound, even with the towers off. I'm considering towers or another set of the monoprice speaker just to fill the soundstage.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-02-2014, 06:23 PM

Liked: 13

I'm looking at these speakers too possibly paired with a Denon AVR-400 or 2112CI and a Viewsonic PJD7820HD in a dedicated theater room. Sophistroland I have not seen a deal like that on Amazon or anywhere else for these speakers. Was that around Christmas when you got them for $178? In building this home theater I am extremely limited on budget and any price cuts I can get will help. I'm thinking about calling Amazon up with the projector and speakers in my cart and telling them I'll make the purchase if they apply a coupon or something. Not sure how effective that will be but you never know until you try right?

post #5 of 5 Old 04-06-2014, 11:52 AM

Unfortunately I haven't seen anywhere near that price since I bought them. It was on Amazon the day after Christmas. Amazon plays with prices a lot, so I'd keep an eye on them and see what the current lowest price is. One thing to keep in mind - Monoprice charges shipping on their site. If you can get them from Amazon for not much more than Monoprice, you will probably save after shipping. I think my shipping was going to be about $40 from Monoprice, but free from Amazon. You can call Amazon, but with nothing to price match I doubt they would come down on the price. 

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Bose Acoustimass 10 Series Iv Home Entertainment Speaker System Black , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv , Energy Take Classic 5 Pack 5 0 Home Theater Speaker Black , Onkyo Tx Nr414 , Onkyo Tx Nr515
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page