Opinion about a 5.1 Speaker System! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-09-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Hi all!

First of all, thanks in advance for your opinion ;)

I have been thinking about setting up a sound system in my home, but I'm a newbie in all that and I have many doubts...

I can tell you the options I have in my head for the different set ups and you can tell me which is the best or any suggestion you can give me that could be a better option for my money.

First of all...the receiver. For now, I don't think that I'm gonna need the 7.1 speakers, but I want to take a good receiver so it can last several years and if in the future I want to set up 2 more speakers, that at least I can have the chance.

Better to go for a 5.1 or 7.1?

AV Receivers 5.1:

- Yamaha RX-V475

- Denon AVR-X1000

- Onkyo TX-NR525

AV Receivers 7.1:

- Yamaha RX-V575

- Denon AVR-E400

- Onkyo TX-NR626

- Sony STR-DN840

Then, the speakers...as I said I'm a newbie and I don't have a big budget...I think that 550-600$ would be my top budget...

All of those I write, it's because they are really very high rated and I guess they are good.

Better to take one speakers system like that or buy it separated?

Speakers:

- Energy Take Classic 5.1

- Monoprice 5.1 10565

- Pioneer SP-PK21BS

- Pioneer SP-PK52FS

Any other suggestion? Opinion?

Thank you so much!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-09-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
It never hurts to plan for the future so getting a 7.1 capable receiver might not be a bad idea because you can always just use 5 speakers for now without any loss of fidelity or the "immersive" experience. I would carefully look at the other features offered besides the speakers on the receivers listed and weigh that against 5 or 7 speakers. If they are equivalent, then I'd go for a 7.1 receiver. I have a Yamaha (5.1) and have been quite happy with it. Runs cool and has been trouble-free. Denon and Onkyo also makes fine receivers so you're in good company. Sony's not bad but I'd look at the other three first.

I've heard the Energy Take Classics and they sound pretty good for their size and price. I've not heard the Pioneer's so I can't comment on them . If you can find the speakers in a store, definitely listen to them. They won't sound in the store like they will in your home but you can at least get an idea if the sound is pleasing to your ears. Don't look at specs alone because they can be misleading a bit.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-09-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Otto Pylot!

About the receiver, I was thinking exactly that...it doesn't hurt to have extra features and have something that lasts more, even though I have read other posts that a common error is to spend too much in the receiver and save money in the speakers...

My idea is to buy a good av receiver with all the features I can afford so I won't have an obsolete receiver in 2-3 years, and buy a decent 5.1 speakers system, and then with the time, if I'm not happy enough with what I have or if I'd like to have something better and move on, I'll just change the speakers...I don't know if those are the right steps or it's better to buy a normal 5.1 receiver and spend much more in speakers.

The real problem apart of being a newbie in all that, is that I haven't had the chance to listen to any system, I'm moving to US in 2 weeks and that, I don't really know if I'll be able to really listen the systems I want in a store.

The prices I have seen are:

- Yamaha RX-V475 (277$) and RX-V575 (359$)

- Denon AVR-X1000 (299$) and AVR-E400 (329$)

- Onkyo TX-NR525 (259$) and TX-NR626 (349$)

- Sony STR-DN840 (359$), I listed this one just because it was really high rated and it has bluetooth and wifi built-in

About the speakers...everyone says that the Energy sounds pretty good to be the size it is, but I'd like to know (for those who listened to all of them) which one is the best or other options that I should take into account for my budget.

I have seen that the Pioneer speakers are huge compared to the Energy or Monoprice and they offer more sound quality in higher volumes, but then (according to my poor knowledge...) looks like the sub of the Pioneer (SW-8MK2) is 'worse' than the sub of the Energy (ESW-8HG) or the Monoprice...

Help!

post #4 of 11 Old 12-09-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

A general rule of thumb is that mediocre speakers can make a great receiver sound crappy, but good speakers can make even a poor receiver sound better. So..... spend a little more on your speakers.

The Energy's are bookshelf speakers. Are you looking for bookshelf or floor standing speakers (front R/L)? If you want floor standing speakers for your front sound stage (R/L) then you have lots of options and a price range that can go astronomical. I'm sure somebody will jump in here in a minute or so but you can add any kind of sub-woofer to your system so you have more flexibility there. The only speakers you really need to "match" for timbre are your front R/L and possibly the Center. The sides (for 5.1) and the rears (for 7.1) can be smaller bookshelf size if you want because the audio from them is usually the "atmospheric" portion of the audio track. Most of the audio will be from the front sound stage.

You could go for the Yamaha V475 which is the least expensive receiver but still a nice entry level 5.1 receiver and spend the rest on speakers. $600 max total is not a lot but if you buy into the notion that you will be upgrading your speakers in the future for sure then you could go with a HTiB by either Yamaha, Onkyo, or Denon and get a really good receiver and decent bookshelf speakers that will do you good until you can upgrade them. Receivers usually last longer than the speakers anyway as far as upgrades go.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-09-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Apart from my Sony Home Theater in a box from 10 years ago, I haven´t bought any sound system so... I'm not sure of which speakers can offer me better sound or more performance.

From the examples I have written, the Energy, Monoprice and Pioneer SP-PK21BS are all of them bookshelf speakers and the Pioneer SP-PK52FS are floor standing speakers.

Is there any difference between the sound quality that the bookshelf or floor standing speakers can offer?

I understand that maybe the only and more important speakers to match are the front and center ones but with my limited knowledge about all that, I don't see myself deciding about which ones to pick to stay inside my budget and still make a good choice.

Is there any section in the website where there are examples of speakers system already made that could help me to make my choice?

With my 600$ budget, I understand your suggestion of a HTiB but the problem is that there are just a few options to choose, so you usually cannot choose the receiver you want...the only HTiB I liked were the Yamaha YHT-599BL and the YHT-699BL, with the receiver Yamaha V475...but I was considering other options because I wasn't sure at all about the quality that those speakers could offer me....and also the Onkyo HT-S5600, but in this case, the speakers looked good and the receive didn't convince me...

post #6 of 11 Old 12-09-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Well you're kind of in a conundrum then. With $600 at your max price point, you may have to make some compromises. Floor standing speakers, by virtue of their physical size, can house bigger drivers and even a woofer so you have a much better dynamic range in the front sound stage. That means you can set a x-over at say 80Hz and get that nice deep bass sound and effect without losing any range or have any clipping etc in the front R/L. As far as the bookshelves go, I think the general consensus is that you want the drivers to be at least 5" in diameter or bigger. You can spend thousands of dollars on floor standing speakers and get just as many opinions on which ones have the best sound. Your listening environment also plays a part in how well your speakers are going to sound.

I'm still using the bookshelves that came with my Yamaha HTiB system. Upgrading them is definitely on the list of things to do but they sound really good for what we listen too and how we listen. It took a little more time (and education) to set them up and get the audio just right but they sound impressive given the limitations.

If you don't want to go the HTiB route, then I'd suggest the 5.1 Yamaha and the Energy Take Classics. That will probably push your budget a bit but you may find a good deal. The MLT-2's are also a good bookshelf set of speakers but that would probably put you outside of your budget.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-10-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Which Yamaha HTiB do you have Otto Pylot? 

Maybe I will wait for the after Christmas sales deals, but now the prices are...MLT-2 (249$), the Monoprice (223$), the Energy (349$), and the Pioneers (450$ and 550$)...

For example, the HTiB that I saw had the NS-PA-40BL(279$) speakers system and I haven't seen any reviews...other Yamaha system I have seen is the NS-SP1800BL (119$) but I have no idea if those speakers are good or I should go for those separated systems...

What about those Onkyo HTiBs? the S5500 and the S5600?

Let's say...350$ maximum for a 7.1 receiver with all the features built-in and maximum...500$ for the speakers, going out of my budget but at least trying to make the most of my money for the future...

I have seen some people that picked the Pioneer SP-PK52FS (without the sub...) which sub good options can I have?

Not buying the Pioneer sub (SW-8MK2) and picking the Energy sub (ESW-8HG)??

post #8 of 11 Old 12-10-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

My Yamaha receiver is the RX-V371. Doesn't have the auto-cal feature which I think is pretty much useless on these entry level systems and speaker sets. It's hard to find specific speaker reviews on the speaker sets that come with these systems. The general wisdom is to buy separates, which is what you are trying to do, but if the budget is tight and not flexible, the speakers that come with the HTiB's are adequate enough to get you started and give you plenty of time to budget for a better set and look around. You listening habits will also play a big part in your speaker choice (loud, window rattling bass, heavy metal, intense games, classical music, etc).

What you could do is decide on the receiver first. Then go to the speaker forum, post what receiver you have (or are going to purchase), what your speaker budget is, and ask for recommendations.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-11-2013, 08:07 AM

Liked: 10

Why are you going to have 5.1 speaker system? I have now AVR (Marantz 1604, before Yamaha, changed as it was over 6 years old and did not have HDMI inputs) + 5.1 speaker system in the living room which is mainly used for watching movies. But when I want to listen music I go to my special room in the basement, where I have Meridian CD player and old (70's) Marantz 2230 stereo amp. The room is acoustically prepared (special pannels, etc). The music in the basement significantly outperforms the same material in the living room. I am not at all impressed by 5.1 or 7.1 systems, when compared to a high quality stereo, even if I playback  DTS-HD MSTR or Dolby TrueHD (24/96 or better) from BRay in the living room and ordinary 16/44 CD downstairs.

No doubt the selection of speakers is crucial, but preferences are very personal. Check them first and select according to your taste. In my stereo system I use Hans Deutch pair, I doubt I would get any positive opinions on the net on them, as they are quite rare (Austrian mfct, probably acquired by somebody else).

Summing up: check your expectations first.

Regards, AK

post #10 of 11 Old 12-11-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

The OP said nothing about music so my guess is that he wants to use 5.1 (or 7.1) for tv, movies, etc. and needs to keep his expenses down. He can put together a very nice system that will meet his needs for about $600.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-11-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, sorry I didn't say what for I wanted the system...as Otto says, is mainly for movies and tv, and maybe I will plug in also my xbox, and maybe sometimes for music.

I think I will post in the speakers section as you suggested me Otto, to see what they can suggest me for my AV receiver...

Thanks for your response ako56, but I don't follow what you say...I guess that, you have a stereo system and you don't like or need a 5.1 or 7.1 cause it doesn't give you more performance than what you have...but in my case, the use won't be just music.

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Denon Avr X1000 5 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr525 5 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Yamaha Rx V575 7 1 Channel Network Av Receiver , Denon Avr E400 , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Sony Str Dn840 , Energy 5 1 Take Classic Home Theater System
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page