Onkyo hts-5600 please help. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-10-2014, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

hello all i just bought the onkyo hrs-5600 have it all set up all the speakers set up all the wires ran everything plugged in turn my tv on and then turn the system on and getting this very loud hum coming from all the speakers. so i trouble shoot trying to find it and i come to find out that one of the hdmi cables is causing the humming sound. so i turn on everything else blu ray xbox and apple tv and no humming so I'm guessing its just a bad cable... also when I'm watching a movie I'm not getting 7.1 its only 5.1 can anyone give me a tip or what i need to change to make my movies in 7.1 my blu ray player is a sony bdp-bx1. I'm going to guess its only 5.1 and not 7.1 any need advise in this area this is my first big system like this and its sounds great so far just in 5.1 but would like to here it in 7.1.... thanks 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-10-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

any tips from anyone? 

post #3 of 10 Old 01-10-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 272
The source should be encoded for true 7.1 and your blu-ray player needs to have the ability to decode 7.1 and send it to the receiver. Have you checked your blu-ray/receiver settings?
post #4 of 10 Old 05-18-2014, 02:40 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcamaro10 View Post

hello all i just bought the onkyo hrs-5600 have it all set up all the speakers set up all the wires ran everything plugged in turn my tv on and then turn the system on and getting this very loud hum coming from all the speakers. so i trouble shoot trying to find it and i come to find out that one of the hdmi cables is causing the humming sound. so i turn on everything else blu ray xbox and apple tv and no humming so I'm guessing its just a bad cable... also when I'm watching a movie I'm not getting 7.1 its only 5.1 can anyone give me a tip or what i need to change to make my movies in 7.1 my blu ray player is a sony bdp-bx1. I'm going to guess its only 5.1 and not 7.1 any need advise in this area this is my first big system like this and its sounds great so far just in 5.1 but would like to here it in 7.1.... thanks 

I'm getting the humming sound too. I thought it was just the subwoofer but it's actually all the speakers. I've replaced all HDMI cables and even paid $70 for some accessory called "HUMM X" that's supposed to stop it and it still hums. It's sooooooo irritating. Let me know if you found a solution.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-18-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 272
HUMM X? What's that? Humming sounds like a grounding issue to me. Have you contacted Oknyo?
post #6 of 10 Old 05-19-2014, 06:58 PM

No, I haven't contacted Onkyo. I figured I'd try to fix it on my own before I get frustrated dealing with customer service. I do believe it could be the wiring for my condo unit. I had an electrician come out to fix a blown socket a few years ago and when it blew out, half of my units sockets didn't work. The electrician told me my unit was wired using an "old" technique that isn't used anymore. He fixed the blown socket and wired it so that in the future if that socket were to blow again that only that particular would be affected and not the rest of the house. Because of that I believe my grounding issue could possibly be attributed to that.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-22-2014, 05:31 PM

Got this system myself a week ago ... and this is also my first complete audio system..

I dont get any humming sound but man setting these things are a pain in the ass... audio setups and different kind of decoding formats... all drove me nuts lol

regarding ur 5.1 issue - as others have mentioned, make sure u are using a 7.1 source.. one way to check is to hit the Home button and go to info.

It will tell u the source input and output....

Now I have a question... when I run 5.1 source, my surround back speakers shut off and the 'rear' audio comes from the surround speakers (placed on my left and right). This gives an unnatural surround sound... i.e. a sound which is suppose to come from rear is coming from my side... anyone know how I can switch the speakers to surround back or use both surround back and surround as rear channels?

Sorry if I hijacked ur thread wink.gif
post #8 of 10 Old 05-22-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Now I have a question... when I run 5.1 source, my surround back speakers shut off and the 'rear' audio comes from the surround speakers (placed on my left and right). This gives an unnatural surround sound... i.e. a sound which is suppose to come from rear is coming from my side... anyone know how I can switch the speakers to surround back or use both surround back and surround as rear channels?

The easiest way is to plug the speakers behind you into the left and right surround terminals.... Since this is your room the only one that needs to be satisfied with the speaker layout is you.

But you have a few things wrong in your thought process.
Quote:
This gives an unnatural surround sound... i.e. a sound which is suppose to come from rear is coming from my side..

5.1 is configured as 2 fronts, a center and two surround speakers which are supposed to be placed at the sides and two feet above the main listening area. There is no "rear audio"

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/
Quote:
anyone know how I can switch the speakers to surround back or use both surround back and surround as rear channels

You can do what I said in my first line

Your receiver should have Dolby Pro Logic IIx. You can apply that to a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack to get sound out of your surround back speakers.

If you want a better dispersed sound from your surround speakers try adding some dipole or bipole speakers which do a better job of diffusing the sound than direct radiating monopole speakers.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=66471

Afro GT
post #9 of 10 Old 05-23-2014, 08:32 PM

Thanks afrogt!

Looking at the THX link you provided cleared up my misconception. I had Creative T7700 desktop 7.1 speakers and it would round the 5.1 audio to the rear speakers - but looking at the THX page, the desktop speakers are configured a little differently than the HT.

I'll move my side speakers a little further back and will try PL IIx to get more surround from my speakers!

I do have another question though, sometimes I would see some little lines or flicker on the screen and if I'm watching a movie it could happen a little more than usual... especially in 3D. Could this be due to HDMI wire or is this something to do with the AV Reciever? I really hope its the wires and not the reciever, though I never noticed this when i had my devices connected directly to my TV before.

Thanks again!
post #10 of 10 Old 06-23-2014, 08:03 PM

Hey everyone! I'm back. I finally solved the humming issue. It's crazy because I thought I had tried absolutely everything. I changed out the subwoofer input line twice, separated power cables from speaker wires, made sure all components were plugged into the same power strip and grounded properly, and everything else I could think of. But apparently I didn't think of the CATV cable line that goes into my cable box. I came across another forum where someone else mentioned it. So, I connected it to the in and out connections on my power strip and now there's no more humm in my Onkyo system.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Onkyo Ht S5600 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Speaker Package
Gear in this thread - S5600 by PriceGrabber.com