Replace DAV-S500 or add DVD player? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-20-2014, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want a 3D Blu-ray player and surround sound. It doesn't need to be anything spectacular, but I don't want a piece of junk. I have an old Sony DAV-S500 which I just connected and it seems to work fine, but it lacks a modern DVD player. Should I just add a stand-alone DVD player or is there a complete home theater in a box which includes a 3D Blu-Ray player and will perform similarly to the Sony (or better) for a reasonable price?

In case it matters, the current arrangement is an Xfinity DVR box (for the on-demand), a Tivo Roamio, and an Apple TV all connected via HMDI to a Vizio M601D-A3R. The optical output from the Vizio is connected to the optical input on the Sony.

Thanks,

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-21-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 351
What's your total budget if you want to replace your Sony DAV?

Afro GT
post #3 of 4 Old 01-22-2014, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Big question is: does your TV properly pass-through encoded bitstreams? That is, if any of the HDMI sources is sending a DD5.1 or DTS stream, does your TV pass it on via optical? Does the Sony display 'PCM' or either Dolby or dts logo in upper right corner? If you get proper surround, and are fine with the sound from the Sony, you can just get a Blu-Ray player, connect it via HDMI to the TV, and be done.

If you TV does not pass streams, you are not getting proper surround out of your sources. The less expensive - but less convenient - solution is to get an optical audio switch, and use it to get audio direct from your sources to the Sony. The more expensive solution is getting an HT system that has enough HDMI inputs. Most HTIBs that come integrated wit ha Blu-Ray offer only 2 HDMI inputs. You need 3, maybe more if you sometimes want to connect anything else.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-29-2014, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the responses. A couple of days after posting my question, the DAV-S500 started malfunctioning. It would freeze up and not respond. Even the power button, which appeared to me a mechanical switch, stopped working. I found an open box special on a Sony BDV-E3100 for $120 including tax after some additional coupons and discounts. I'd like a little more sound and I'm having a few issues getting all my devices to play together nicely, but it's good enough, especially for the money.

Chris
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page