Is my sound quality lacking becuase of this setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-23-2014, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an ONKYO home theater system. My setup was a dvd player, plugged into the tv via HDMI and a digital optical cable directly from the dvd player to the receiver. The receiver does not have any HDMI inputs (or outputs). The receiver would select the appropriate sound format from the dvd (Dolby PL II or what not)

Now I purchased a blue ray player for a few blue rays and netflix streaming capabilities. However it only has an HDMI out on the back. So now I plug the HDMI directly into the tv (as I have done with the dvd player) but for audio, I plug the digital optical cable directly into the tv from the receiver instead of into the blue ray player. Will the receiver not select the appropriate sound format from the blu ray now that it is plugged into the tv instead of the blu ray player itself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-24-2014, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Depends on TV.
See this thread, it describes a situation pretty much identical to yours (HDMI only Blu-Ray and no-HDMI sound system)

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1513666/question-about-my-surround-sound-not-sure-what-connection-to-use-for-tv
post #3 of 10 Old 01-25-2014, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, that thread was a help. I think i may look into a different blue ray player. Now in choosing one I am thrown off with all the decoders listed. The blue ray I am looking for has Dolby True HD decoder. If I play a blue ray or dvd that was filmed in Dolby Digital, or Pro logic II, will have poor sound quality becuase it was not filmed in Dolby Ture HD? Do the decoders have to match up on the blue ray player and the reciever? I am new to this and it can be very confusing.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-25-2014, 10:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 415
if you're not connecting your blu ray player directly to a AV Receiver with HDMI you'll never get TrueHD audio anyway.

Afro GT
post #5 of 10 Old 01-26-2014, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

well I am now. I am either going to up grade my player or get an audio extractor.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-26-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

An audio extractor? Does your receiver have 7.1 analog inputs?

It would be easier to buy a receiver with hdmi and true hd decoding.

Afro GT
post #7 of 10 Old 01-26-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

No the receiver does not have 7.1. I love it, its fantastic, I just happened to get it right before they started putting HDMI input/outputs on them. All I have to do is make sure any device I buy I can hook up separately via Digital optical or coaxial and Im good to go.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-26-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Optical can not pass Dolby TrueHD (or any other lossless format) untouched. The best it can do is discrete 5.1. Just because you can hear audio from all 5 speakers doesn't mean that it's TrueHD.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-26-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You can get a HDMI receiver for under $200. If TrueHD and DTS-MA are important to you then get a new receiver.

Afro GT
post #10 of 10 Old 01-27-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
OP the best thing you can do is get a new receiver. Check out accessories4less.com for discounted prices on receivers because they are refurbished. I own refurbished products and honestly I won't buy brand new products because my pockets aren't deep enough to get what I want. If your upgrading your receiver you may want to go with a 7.2 receiver to give you some upgrade possibilities and definitely get a receiver with Audyssey Auto Room EQ. Maybe something like the Onkyo TX-NR626 or similar. Or if you can find an Onkyo 616 or RC470 for a good price grab them. I just got my aunt and uncle to buy the RC470 a few weeks ago from accessories4less.com it was a $650 receiver brand new, they paid $285 for it refurb.

Shawn
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page