Onkyo HT-S5600 not showing Dolby True HD or DTS-HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 03-05-2014, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Greeting,

I hope that I have this thread in the right section, I recently purchased Onkyo HT-S5600 and it is hooked to a LG LM-6410 TV and Xbox One.

I have an external Hard disk that is hooked to the TV, I have one cable from TV (HDMI with ARC) hooked to the Onkyo receiver and i have hooked the XBOX and the Satellite receiver to the receiver  using HDMI cables as well.

I have ARC enabled in both TV and Home Theater

When I try to play any movie that has Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD from my hard disk it doesn't show that on the receiver panel instead i get Dobly 5.1 or DTS 5.1.

I do know that my home theater supports Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD but my TV does not so could this be the problem?? Is there a way to get these two working when I play a movie from my hard disk??

The shame thing is that xbox one currently doesn't support playing videos from external hard disk or I would've run it from it

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tarek

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-05-2014, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

well i guess it is good to read through other threads here in this great forum. It seems that ARC in my TV is not capable of sending HD audio only DTS and Dolby.

So i guess my only option is to buy a media player that can play HD audio (both DTS-HD and Dolby True HD) any recommendations?

thanks

post #3 of 20 Old 03-05-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
What type of cable do you have hooking the External Hard Disk to the TV??? Also why not hook that cable into the AVR??? The correct way to hook everything up is to have all audio and video sources run into the AVR then out of the AVR into the TV.

Shawn
post #4 of 20 Old 03-05-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 263
^^^^^ agreed. ARC is not capable of passing HD audio. Period. The best it can do is 5.1 like optical. The only real advantage of ARC is that it eliminates the need to use an optical cable.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-05-2014, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

^^^^^ agreed. ARC is not capable of passing HD audio. Period. The best it can do is 5.1 like optical. The only real advantage of ARC is that it eliminates the need to use an optical cable.

Thanks a lot, Yea I guess that is the only advantage of it, it is a shame i guess hopefully they will upgrade it in the future to also carry HD audio

post #6 of 20 Old 03-05-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

What type of cable do you have hooking the External Hard Disk to the TV??? Also why not hook that cable into the AVR??? The correct way to hook everything up is to have all audio and video sources run into the AVR then out of the AVR into the TV.

It is a USB cable since that is the only interface my external hard disk has. Sadly I can not hook it to the AVR since it doesn't support playing files through USB it only supports iPad/iPhone via USB which is a shame.

I agree with you, this is how I hooked my satellite receiver and my Xbox One but I can't hook the external hard disk.

I was looking Online and I have found this 

https://shop.xtreamer.net/products/Xtreamer-Elvira.html 

I guess it should fix my problem since it does support Dolby True HD and DTS-HD

I guess I will have to hook it to the AVR not the TV correct??

post #7 of 20 Old 03-05-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Connecting to the receiver first is always best. That way, all audio goes to the receiver for proper decoding and playback and only the video is sent to the tv. If you need to use the tv's streaming apps, or the internal ATSC tuner (for OTA reception or cable) then the use of an optical will give you true 5.1 if broadcast. Not all SmartApps are made equally though so depending on the mfr and their license agreements, some may and some may not. If you want total control of your system without any headaches, then use a Harmony or Hamony-like universal remote. This way you won't have any ARC issues (direct receiver connection and the use of an optical) and/or CEC issues (which are really problematic for some) for total system, one remote control.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-05-2014, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

The problem with Optical is that it doesn't support 7.1 nor HD Audio so I am using only HDMI cables.

post #9 of 20 Old 03-05-2014, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

The problem is ARC, not the cable. High speed HDMI cables will support anything, but when you use them in conjunction with ARC (audio return channel), you're limited to 5.1 at best, regardless of your source.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-07-2014, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

The problem is ARC, not the cable. High speed HDMI cables will support anything, but when you use them in conjunction with ARC (audio return channel), you're limited to 5.1 at best, regardless of your source.

Ok now i am confused, so what is the solution im my case.?
post #11 of 20 Old 03-07-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

High speed HDMI has plenty of capacity to handle HD audio, 3D, etc. Optical doesn't and is limited to only 5.1 audio. ARC is limited to 5.1 audio because of the chipset that is required in the tv/receiver to handle bi-directional audio. A lot of tv's have issues passing audio (other than stereo) from an external source especially via ARC. My guess is that you have two limiting factors. One, the USB from your external HD doesn't have the bandwidth capacity to transmit anything better than 5.1 or if it can, the tv can't pass that along and just passes the 5.1 portion of it. If your receiver can't process the audio you want via USB, you may have to look for a HD that has HDMI out and connect that to your receiver. I didn't look at the Streamer but even if it has USB-HDMI that may not solve your issue if the USB on the HD can't pass anything better than 5.1.
post #12 of 20 Old 03-08-2014, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot Man, your help is greatly appreciate now I do understand exactly what is the is problem and I will update this thread once I figure our a way to solve the problem.

I guess my best option would be to get a media player with a USB 3.0 Hard Disk I do know that my TV doesn't support HD audio and that my reciever does not support USB playback.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-09-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

An HDMI interface for your media player would still be best. I would look at USB 3.0 specs first before investing in a USB-based interface to see if it is capable of passing uncompressed HD audio. Just because the USB 3.0 has a faster data rate doesn't necessarily mean it can handle the bandwidth of HD audio.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-12-2014, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You need a device that can read data off a hard drive, process the format, and output via HDMI to the receiver. The most obvious choice is a computer. (HTPC).

This looks like what you need: http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/OPlay_HD2/
post #15 of 20 Old 03-23-2014, 08:58 PM

Liked: 11
I just recently purchased the Onkyo HT S5600 from Fry's for like $500. So far I like it but haven't REALLY played around with it enough. I have my HDTV cable box plugged via HDMI into my Xbox One which is plugged in via HDMi to my LG 55 inch 3D Google TV. My Xbox One "audio" is also plugged into my Onkyo via optical cable whereas my PS3 is connected via HDMI directly into my Onkyo which is then plugged via HDMI into tv. Long story I know but the bottom line is I noticed that my Onkyo wasn't displaying Dolby True HD or DTS-HD either when using my Xbox One but after reading this post someone mentioned that it isn't transmitted via optical cable? Has it always been like this? It shows when I use my PS3 but then again it's hooked up via HDMI. I could've swore when I had my old receiver by Samsung that when blurays were played via optical it would still output in Dolby True HD or DTS-HD? It's been a while so I really can't say for sure.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-23-2014, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Optical cable (toslink) doesn't have the bandwidth capacity to transmit HD audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA, etc), you need to use HDMI. However, if you use ARC (Audio Return Channel), the best audio you can do is discrete 5.1 because the ARC chipset can't return HD audio even if an HDMI cable (which is requred) is used. Keep in mind that even if you connect directly to the tv via HDMI chances are you won't be able to send HD Audio to the receiver because the tv can't decode the HD audio track and send it to the receiver. Connect your devices first to the receiver and just send the video to the tv. If you want to use the tv's smart apps, just use an optical cable for 5.1 and keep the tv's speakers off.
post #17 of 20 Old 03-24-2014, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorrpio View Post

You need a device that can read data off a hard drive, process the format, and output via HDMI to the receiver. The most obvious choice is a computer. (HTPC).

Interesting unit, hadn't seen something like that before. I note the OP has a 3d tv and this is only HDMI 1.3 compliant so 3d could be an issue if he has 3d content....

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #18 of 20 Old 03-29-2014, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorrpio View Post

I got the following device, it's not delivered yet so hopefully will do the trick ;)

post #19 of 20 Old 03-30-2014, 09:08 PM

Liked: 11
So how does the ARC (audio return channel) work? What does it do? I saw the feature was off on my receiver, should I turn it on?
post #20 of 20 Old 03-30-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

The main purpose of ARC is to eliminate the need to use an optical cable to get sound from the tv to the receiver. However, both devices, the tv and the receiver have to be ARC capable, otherwise it won't work. My receiver is ARC capable but my tv is not so I just keep ARC turned off on the receiver. No big deal because I use an optical cable to send audio from the internal ATSC tuner (for OTA tv) to the receiver. ARC can be thought of as bi-directional audio using a single HDMI cable.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Onkyo Ht S5600 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Speaker Package
Gear in this thread - S5600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page