AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Home Theater In A Box (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/109-home-theater-box/)
-   -   Onkyo HT-S3300 Paired with Hopper, no sound! (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/109-home-theater-box/1579722-onkyo-ht-s3300-paired-hopper-no-sound.html)

mplstaylor 06-25-2014 11:10 AM

Onkyo HT-S3300 Paired with Hopper, no sound!
 
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm average with technical stuff, but this issue has stumped me and the Onkyo manual is of little help.

I have the Onkyo HT-S3300 and it's paired to an Insignia LCD TV via a brand new Dish Network Hopper. Previously was run through Directv. A few days ago, the audio inexplicably stopped coming out of the receiver when watching satellite channels. Nor will it come out through the regular TV speakers.

When I switch the receiver to FM/AM, audio comes out just fine. When I switch to Blu-Ray, audio comes out of receiver just fine. Same with Apple TV. EVERYTHING bu the Insignia tv itself.

I have no idea what happened or how the settings got changed, but I cannot get the audio back. I had to unplug the HD cable from the Hopper to the receiver, and just plug it to the TV, just so I could hear tv audio. It's a very lame short-term solution.

I suspect one of the kids was messing around with the remotes and reset something, but I have no idea what changed or how to get it back. Would appreciate any input!

Otto Pylot 06-25-2014 11:21 AM

Can you disconnect everything to the tv and then reset the tv? Re-connect your devices one by one after testing to see where it fails, if anywhere. Are you using ARC?

mplstaylor 06-25-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto Pylot (Post 25255850)
Can you disconnect everything to the tv and then reset the tv? Re-connect your devices one by one after testing to see where it fails, if anywhere. Are you using ARC?

I haven't tried that yet, reset the Hopper and everything else though. ARC yes, but I get really confused by all the settings.

All I really want is to be able to turn on the tv, the satellite and the a/v receiver, and then have the choice of running audio from the receiver (90% of the time) or tv itself (the other 10%, when the wife or kids or someone unfamiliar with the whole setup just wants to watch tv).

TCARCIO 06-25-2014 11:37 AM

You might also try a different audio connection like optical to see if the Onkyo puts out sound from that. If it does you may have a bad hdmi port.

Otto Pylot 06-25-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mplstaylor (Post 25256330)
I haven't tried that yet, reset the Hopper and everything else though. ARC yes, but I get really confused by all the settings.

All I really want is to be able to turn on the tv, the satellite and the a/v receiver, and then have the choice of running audio from the receiver (90% of the time) or tv itself (the other 10%, when the wife or kids or someone unfamiliar with the whole setup just wants to watch tv).

ARC is quite often associated with CEC, and CEC is known to have major incompatibility issues because some of the protocols are optional so mfrs can do what they want. I'd disable ARC/CEC on everything and see what happens as another test. If ARC/CEC is your problem then you could always get a programmable universal remote like a Harmony and control everything with a one or two buttons. That's what I do. As far as watching just tv, I'd keep the tv speakers off and run an optical from the tv to the receiver. That way, any audio source from the internal ATSC tuner (like SmartApps for example) will go to the receiver.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.