Onkyo HT-S3300 Paired with Hopper, no sound! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-25-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Onkyo HT-S3300 Paired with Hopper, no sound!

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm average with technical stuff, but this issue has stumped me and the Onkyo manual is of little help.

I have the Onkyo HT-S3300 and it's paired to an Insignia LCD TV via a brand new Dish Network Hopper. Previously was run through Directv. A few days ago, the audio inexplicably stopped coming out of the receiver when watching satellite channels. Nor will it come out through the regular TV speakers.

When I switch the receiver to FM/AM, audio comes out just fine. When I switch to Blu-Ray, audio comes out of receiver just fine. Same with Apple TV. EVERYTHING bu the Insignia tv itself.

I have no idea what happened or how the settings got changed, but I cannot get the audio back. I had to unplug the HD cable from the Hopper to the receiver, and just plug it to the TV, just so I could hear tv audio. It's a very lame short-term solution.

I suspect one of the kids was messing around with the remotes and reset something, but I have no idea what changed or how to get it back. Would appreciate any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-25-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Can you disconnect everything to the tv and then reset the tv? Re-connect your devices one by one after testing to see where it fails, if anywhere. Are you using ARC?
post #3 of 5 Old 06-25-2014, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Can you disconnect everything to the tv and then reset the tv? Re-connect your devices one by one after testing to see where it fails, if anywhere. Are you using ARC?
I haven't tried that yet, reset the Hopper and everything else though. ARC yes, but I get really confused by all the settings.

All I really want is to be able to turn on the tv, the satellite and the a/v receiver, and then have the choice of running audio from the receiver (90% of the time) or tv itself (the other 10%, when the wife or kids or someone unfamiliar with the whole setup just wants to watch tv).
post #4 of 5 Old 06-25-2014, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You might also try a different audio connection like optical to see if the Onkyo puts out sound from that. If it does you may have a bad hdmi port.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-25-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplstaylor View Post
I haven't tried that yet, reset the Hopper and everything else though. ARC yes, but I get really confused by all the settings.

All I really want is to be able to turn on the tv, the satellite and the a/v receiver, and then have the choice of running audio from the receiver (90% of the time) or tv itself (the other 10%, when the wife or kids or someone unfamiliar with the whole setup just wants to watch tv).
ARC is quite often associated with CEC, and CEC is known to have major incompatibility issues because some of the protocols are optional so mfrs can do what they want. I'd disable ARC/CEC on everything and see what happens as another test. If ARC/CEC is your problem then you could always get a programmable universal remote like a Harmony and control everything with a one or two buttons. That's what I do. As far as watching just tv, I'd keep the tv speakers off and run an optical from the tv to the receiver. That way, any audio source from the internal ATSC tuner (like SmartApps for example) will go to the receiver.
Reply Home Theater In A Box
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page