Looking for advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-29-2014, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for advice

In 2007, our house burned down. When we rebuilt, we had the living room wired for 7.1 sound. We bought a home theater in a box consisting of an Onkyo HT-R560 Receiver and Onkyo speakers--believe it came in at about $700.

The system works ok, but we've never been impressed with the sound. I did the tuning thing with the system microphone and it just is blah.

There are a myriad of settings, most of which seem to just be in the neighborhood of "try this setting to see if you like it." What I think I'd like is an amp that just plays the sound the way it was recorded. What with DD, PCM, and a bunch of other acronyms, it seems like a very simple approach would fit my needs better:
Step 1: What amp and speakers do you have? Tune the system (already done)
Step 2: What is the sound source?
Step 3: How loud?

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by surveymanager View Post
In 2007, our house burned down. When we rebuilt, we had the living room wired for 7.1 sound. We bought a home theater in a box consisting of an Onkyo HT-R560 Receiver and Onkyo speakers--believe it came in at about $700.

The system works ok, but we've never been impressed with the sound. I did the tuning thing with the system microphone and it just is blah.

There are a myriad of settings, most of which seem to just be in the neighborhood of "try this setting to see if you like it." What I think I'd like is an amp that just plays the sound the way it was recorded. What with DD, PCM, and a bunch of other acronyms, it seems like a very simple approach would fit my needs better:
Step 1: What amp and speakers do you have? Tune the system (already done)
Step 2: What is the sound source?
Step 3: How loud?

Any advice?
Are you sure that you have your system hooked up correctly. When playing a DVD/blu-ray movie what does the front of the receiver say? Does it show that it's getting 5/6/7.1 channels? Perhaps take a picture.

I find most problems are due to setup issues.