How best to integrate DVD player into viera link home theater? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-12-2014, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How best to integrate DVD player into viera link home theater?

My current setup:

Panasonic TH-50PX80U 720P Plasma TV (2008 model) with Viera Link and 3 HDMI ports

Panasonic SC-PT760 DVD Home Theater Sound System with Viera Link and a broken DVD player -- all other aspects of the home theater work fine -- just cannot play DVDs. This all-in-one home theater in a box has one HDMI port.

I've got the cable box going into one of the three HDMI ports on the TV, the home theater box going into the second, and a Roku going into the third. In this configuration, all HDMI ports are currently spoken for. It seems that anything connecting to the TV through HDMI (Roku) passes through to the Home Theater without difficulty so I'm not sure what the Viera Link does except interface the now broken DVD player function of the Home Theater box.

I need to integrate a new DVD player because the one in the Home Theater unit is broken. I'm not sure how to do this and have a number of questions:

Should/could I simply get an HDMI switch and have the new DVD player share one HDMI port with the Roku? I would have to manually switch between the two devices but that wouldn't be burdensome to me. Or, should I simply set up the new DVD player using non-HDMI imput methods (i.e., RCA cables)? At 720P, would I notice any difference?

If yes to the HDMI switch question above, will the new DVD player work (sound and image) seamlessly through the current setup as the Roku does currently or does it need some sort of Viera Link compatibility?

Or, is there some other entirely different approach that I should be taking with regard to this problem?

I usually don't play DVDs at all but have a DVD instructional course I need to access and have no way currently to do that. So I'm looking for a DVD player and most importantly advice how best to hook it up.

Thanks very much for all suggestions and advice!

This forum has always been very helpful.

Cheers

Eric

Last edited by email4eric; 07-12-2014 at 12:20 PM. Reason: clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Perhaps the easiest solution is if your computer has a DVD player. You can see your training videos on your computer monitor.

Alternatively, you could consider a more robust system in general. Given that DVD players are inexpensive, perhaps a low end AVR with more inputs would do the trick. whatever speakers came with that HT in a box, you would need to check the ohms and other limitations to see if it would work with another AVR to avoid the cost of new speakers.

If I were in your shoes, I would try to watch the training videos on the computer, and consider saving up a bit for a more versatile set up than an HT in a box. As well, the alternative inputs such as the component are usable if your HT in a box allows for them. If so, that would be your cheapest fix. DVD component out to HT in a box component in. This should not degrade the image and either your HT in a box or TV will handle conversion to 720p.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-12-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 274
As a side note, Vierra Link is Panasonic's term for CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) which, in theory, allows one to control all HDMI connected devices via a single remote. The downside of CEC is that the protocols are not standardized in that the mfrs can pick and choose which to implement and that leads to incompatibility issues for a lot to people (the wrong inputs being selected, a/v issues, etc). I would disable Vierra Link on the Panasonic as well as CEC control on all of your other devices. That means you will be using multiple remotes for a while but until you get you system configured and running the way you want, it's one less issue to contend with because it can be very confusing. Once you're happy with your setup, enable Vierra Link and CEC on your other devices and see if it works to your satisfaction.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-12-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
An HDMI switch would be fine for what you want to do.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-12-2014, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks all, very much appreciated.

PreHDD -- Yeah, I'm going to be playing an instrument and need to view on the big screen. Computer is in another room and laptop is too tiny! I'm too thrifty to upgrade equipment if I can patch something together that works.

Otto -- thanks for that. Yes, I've got four remotes as it is and will have two more with a DVD player and an HDMI switcher! Time for a Harmony, I suppose.

Thank you, Islander. I've come to that conclusion.

I ordered this switch:

http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-301BN-P...ds=hdmi+switch

and this DVD player:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP288...dp_ob_title_ce

Again, I appreciate the prompt and thorough responses.

Cheers
post #6 of 6 Old 07-12-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 274
I use a Harmony and it works great. No messin' around with CEC.
Reply Home Theater In A Box
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page