davs500 replaced with lg bh4030.....and its worse? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-19-2014, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
davs500 replaced with lg bh4030.....and its worse?

so i was using my sony davs500 for literally over a decade, before left speaker started to fail then stopped working altogether (long story, this post aint about that, but the amp was DEFINITELY broken) -

didnt want anything fancy, ive been using it as pc speakers in 5.1. Did a quick search, found some LG BH4030S going super cheap on pixmania, looked at the specs quickly, it output more watts, + the fact that it was a much newer system, so i thought - yup - should be good enough.

anyway, the bass seems really weak on it, compared to my old sony - and i just want to make double sure before i put it back in the box and send it back for a refund!

these were the sony specs....

these are the lg specs

so was the sony technically better?
All I want is a system that was technically as good as the Sony for the cheapest price. I don't need anything better than what the Sony was like.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Those ratings are pretty worthless rating the power output at low impedance ratings and very high distortion factors (10%). Where I would look is at the weight as generally better speakers weigh more. The LG sub is 3kg. The Sony is 6kg. Same with the speakers...the Sony's are double the weight.

Since I don't have much to go off of I would say the Sony looks a bit better and it doesn't surprise me that they sound better.

Keep in mind speakers are not TVs. They do not magically change how the physics work over the years by new technology (for the most part). They still need to be large and typically heavy to produce full sound. Just buying a new set does not guarantee you anything beyond a few new internet features and some better cosmetics.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-01-2014, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489 View Post
Those ratings are pretty worthless rating the power output at low impedance ratings and very high distortion factors (10%). Where I would look is at the weight as generally better speakers weigh more. The LG sub is 3kg. The Sony is 6kg. Same with the speakers...the Sony's are double the weight.

Since I don't have much to go off of I would say the Sony looks a bit better and it doesn't surprise me that they sound better.

Keep in mind speakers are not TVs. They do not magically change how the physics work over the years by new technology (for the most part). They still need to be large and typically heavy to produce full sound. Just buying a new set does not guarantee you anything beyond a few new internet features and some better cosmetics.
yup.
i returned it back. spent £250 at richer sounds and bought a Pioneer HTP072 set.........does the job, and more powerful than the Sony. Done.
Reply Home Theater In A Box
Gear in this thread - davs500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page