Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-01-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yamaha 5.1-Channel Home Theater System

I am looking to buy one for under or around $500.00

Does anyone have any experience with their YHT or RX-V systems??

If so please give me you comments and opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-01-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 286
YHT is the model designation for the HTiB system, RX-V.. is the receiver model. I have the YHT-395 which uses the RX-V371 receiver. We've been extremely happy with it. The speakers are so-so, as they are with most HTiB's, but we've been able to squeeze every drop of performance out of them with careful adjusting. We don't listen at volumes that rattle your fillings or shake the windows so the output is fine. Even at low volumes, the sound is still clean and clear. The same for higher volumes (at least to our comfort level). I don't use any of the artificial audio and/or video processing so I can't comment on that aspect. Runs very cool but I keep it ventilated. It's not in a tight space so there is plenty of air circulation. I don't use the ARC/CEC feature (I have a Harmony) so I don't know how well those play with other devices. AppleTV2 and a Panasonic blu-ray player are connected. Speaker connectors on the receiver are 5-way binding posts so any speaker connection can be used. I'll be keeping the receiver a lot longer than I will the speakers. No reason to upgrade the receiver until HDMI 2.0 and/or 3.0 issues are all worked out and the new standards are commonplace.

Yamaha has a reputation of making excellent receivers.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-01-2014, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for that information.
I do not need a Mobile High-Definition Link, AirPlay and music streaming services, charging for your iPod/iPhone/iPad or optional Wi-Fi or Bluetooth accessories.

I am interested in the best receiver I can get in a box set that will be used for video/audio inputs being sent to my Samsung TV. I will use the 4 HDMI inputs for my computer, BluRay player, Fios TV and a WD media player. As you can see from that list I am only going to use the receiver for watching movies and TV shows from those 4 sources.

I believe that leaves me only 3 choices; YHT-399U, 4910U and 497
above that level all the bells and whistles I don't need start to appear.

What I don't know is information about the speakers. Now I understand that they are not great but are adequate for a medium size room and I am not planning on shaking the walls anyway. The question is, "Are the speakers/woofer the same for all three of these sets" and what model receiver is associated with these three box sets?
post #4 of 9 Old 08-01-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

As I said, the speakers are ok but there are probably better speakers (for an HTiB) that come with other mfrs, but only slightly better. Our room is about 12x17 with a 12' cathedral ceiling and the sound fills quite nicely. Wood flooring so there is little sound absorption. The YHT-397 and 399 use the RX-V373 receiver I think. It's the same as the RX-V371 only it has an auto-calibration audio feature. I'm not sold on any the auto-calibrations options that come with the speakers on any of the HTiB's. I'd rather manually calibrate that let the receiver calculate the room response for the speakers. Bigger, higher quality speakers probably benefit more from the auto-cals (Audyssey for example).

As far as speaker models that come with the above mentioned YHT's, you'd have to look at the specs and see if they give the speaker model numbers. I know that mine came with the NS-AP2600's for the front sound stage and the SW012 for the sub-woofer. Keep in mind that speaker specs can be misleading somewhat because you don't know how the given specs were determined (anechoic chamber, etc), and what is on paper will differ from what you hear depending on your listening environment (furnishings, floor coverings, etc). Again the nice thing about the Yamaha system (and any other for that matter if you shop carefully) is that you can always upgrade to better speakers down the road as your budget and needs change. The Yamaha can handle 6-ohm and 8-ohm speakers quite easily.

Good speakers can make a mediocre receiver sound great, but bad speakers can make a great receiver sound poor.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-02-2014, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

thank you, based on your comments I went out last night and purchased the YHT-4910UBL unit. I now wish to change the center channel speaker. I am leaning towards the Yamaha NS-C310 or the Yamaha NS-C444. I would like to stay with the same manufacturer. However I have read a lot of good things about the Polk Audio TSi CS10. Any thoughts on these. I have read all the owner comments on the C310 off of amazon and they are mostly very satisfied by their purchase.

post #6 of 9 Old 08-02-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Let your ears be the determining factor but give them time (a couple of weeks) to adjust. It's like calibrating your tv, once you adjust the settings, how ever you do that, let your eyes (and brain) adjust before changing them. The thing about the front sound stage is that it's recommended (by some) to buy the front R/L/C from the same mfr. The reason is timbre (the tone quality). Speaker mfrs all have different designs and materials they use in their speakers. That's why one is supposedly "better" than the other. Having your front sound stage made by the same mfr means that they will all resonate the same given that the design materials are all the same. Matching the resonance will keep the frequency responses consistent. But again, if you like what you hear, to hell with timbre
post #7 of 9 Old 08-03-2014, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

thank you Sir, I went and placed an order with Amazon for a Yamaha NS-C310. I do appreciate your comments.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-08-2014, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolddog View Post
thank you, based on your comments I went out last night and purchased the YHT-4910UBL unit. I now wish to change the center channel speaker. I am leaning towards the Yamaha NS-C310 or the Yamaha NS-C444. I would like to stay with the same manufacturer. However I have read a lot of good things about the Polk Audio TSi CS10. Any thoughts on these. I have read all the owner comments on the C310 off of amazon and they are mostly very satisfied by their purchase.
Now that you've had it for a few months, how do you like the YHT-4910UBL? And were you satisfied the Yamaha NS-C310 center speaker? Did it improve the sound quality in the way you were expecting?
post #9 of 9 Old 12-09-2014, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Figured i'd post here as I myself bought the Yamaha YHT-4910UBL 5.1-Channel Home Theater System from amazon when it was on sale for black friday. I've had it for about 10 days and I love it. I bought it to for use with my computer as my old Logitech 5.1 from years ago died. I also purchased a Creative Sound Blaster Z to go with it to put out Dolby Digital 5.1 over toslink. This system has the ability to put out sound far better then my older YHT-391BL Home Theater in a Box that I bought about 7 years ago. I think the sound card in my PC may be a factor the YHT-391BL may sound better if i didn't just toslink out from my LG TV. I don't think my LG TV passes Dolby Digital 5.1 to my older Yamaha system.

Overall for watching movies, tv shows and listening to music the Yamaha YHT-4910UBL does a great job and i don't think i'll be replacing any part of it for years to come especially considering my older Yamaha just keeps working without any issues after 6+ years.
Reply Home Theater In A Box
Gear in this thread - 5.1-Channel by PriceGrabber.com