Bose Lifestyle 135 Series II alternatives - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-04-2014, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bose Lifestyle 135 Series II alternatives

Hey guys, just looking for a little advice here. I was originally looking to purchase one of the Bose lifestyle systems but started doing a little research on them and now I am thinking I could get a lot more bang for my buck with another system. I don't have time currently to start from scratch and do all my own research so I am asking for a little head start/point in the right direction from you guys.

This unit will be placed in my living room, which is around 300 SF and is irregularly shaped. I will not be able to wall mount the speakers and I can not run wires from the amp as the floor is hard wood and not carpet. So what would you guys recommend? I am looking for an amp, speaker, and sub set. I am open to a sound bar in place of the speakers as well. Does not have to be HTIAB but I will need some recs on what my individual pieces should be.

Any recommendations or info would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Nobrakes2007; 08-04-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-05-2014, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Budget?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #3 of 14 Old 08-05-2014, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Ah yes that would be probably be helpful.....$2000.00

Thanks!
post #4 of 14 Old 08-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 36
So do you need a sound bar? can you do stereo speakers? Can you do a 3.1 setup? Keep in mind even "wireless" speakers need power so you'd have to plug each into a electrical outlet.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-06-2014, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489 View Post
So do you need a sound bar? can you do stereo speakers? Can you do a 3.1 setup? Keep in mind even "wireless" speakers need power so you'd have to plug each into a electrical outlet.
I was thinking a sound bar was going to be the best option for me based on what was available to me in the room. Until reading over the forum here, I had not considered the option of a 3.1 setup with a couple of stereo speakers up front. (I will admit I am pretty much a novice at high end electronics...I know just enough to be dangerous). What would you recommend if I went with an option like that? Does a system like that still create the illusion of surround sound like a sound bar does or is that something I would have to do with out. I am basically trying to get the best movie watching experience with whats available within my budget and what will work in my living room.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobrakes2007 View Post
I was thinking a sound bar was going to be the best option for me based on what was available to me in the room. Until reading over the forum here, I had not considered the option of a 3.1 setup with a couple of stereo speakers up front. (I will admit I am pretty much a novice at high end electronics...I know just enough to be dangerous). What would you recommend if I went with an option like that? Does a system like that still create the illusion of surround sound like a sound bar does or is that something I would have to do with out. I am basically trying to get the best movie watching experience with whats available within my budget and what will work in my living room.
You might be surprised how little surround channels matter. Most here I would think would take quality 3.1 over soundbar simulated 5.1 any day.

So if 3.1 is an option is there a maximum size of speaker that would be "allowable"? Do we need something that can wall mount and look attractive? Is it going on a dresser or something so the depth of the speaker doesn't matter too much?
post #7 of 14 Old 08-11-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489 View Post
You might be surprised how little surround channels matter. Most here I would think would take quality 3.1 over soundbar simulated 5.1 any day.

So if 3.1 is an option is there a maximum size of speaker that would be "allowable"? Do we need something that can wall mount and look attractive? Is it going on a dresser or something so the depth of the speaker doesn't matter too much?
The system will be paired with a 70+" tv which will not be walled mounted. TV is going to sit a top a "dresser" style TV stand. I would think about 3' tall for the speakers would be my max. Would prefer not to wall mount the speakers as well. I don't want them to be the focal point of the space if that makes sense. I want everything to look proportional and well thought out (instead of the dude who went out and got the biggest speakers possible because he thought it was some how reflective of his manhood).
post #8 of 14 Old 08-11-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Buy separates. IOW, get a nice receiver (5.1) and a good set of speakers for your front sound stage (R/L/C and sub). You can always add sides or rears (7.1) later on as your budget and listening environment changes. Wireless limits you somewhat so you may have to compromise there.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-12-2014, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Buy separates. IOW, get a nice receiver (5.1) and a good set of speakers for your front sound stage (R/L/C and sub). You can always add sides or rears (7.1) later on as your budget and listening environment changes. Wireless limits you somewhat so you may have to compromise there.
I am sure this a newb question but can I get a 7.1 receiver to start off for use in a 3.1 or 5.1 system so that when I do upgrade to a full 7.1 system, all I would need is two extra speakers? What brand/model for receiver and/or speakers?
post #10 of 14 Old 08-12-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Yes. You can use any number of speakers you want to start off with. The receiver should automatically configure the sound for the number of connected speakers it detects or you can configure the receiver that way.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-20-2014, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

So based on around a $2,000 budget, what models of receivers, speakers, subs, etc.... should I be looking at?
post #12 of 14 Old 08-20-2014, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Many AVRs to choose from I love love my Sony 1800ES or its slightly bigger brother the 2800ES Or its non ES 1050 sibling.
Pair with the KEF e305's.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
Many AVRs to choose from I love love my Sony 1800ES or its slightly bigger brother the 2800ES Or its non ES 1050 sibling.
Pair with the KEF e305's.
This is exactly what kind of info I am looking for. I appreciate the feedback. Anyone else care to chime in?
post #14 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 388
If you're willing to spend $2000 you should post this in the speakers forum. You'll get more recommendations over there. It gets way more traffic than the Home Theater In A Box forum.

Afro GT
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page