Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-07-2014, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Warning........newbie not getting ARC

Good Day To One And All,

I've been using a Sony BDV-NF720 system, connected to my Sony Bravia TV for about two years now. The last three weeks I'm not getting the automatic changeover from the TV speakers to the BDV speakers when I power up the system. I usually get a "cannot communicate with Audio etc........." type message which returns me to the TV speakers. The obvious thing I've done is change the HDMI cable to a high speed, blah, blah, blah type cable but no change. My TV and BDV are connected to the internet and have auto update enabled. My whole system includes SKY and two extra PVR devices, all connected separately to the TV. The only other thing I've done is to connect the BDV cable to HDMI 1 (labelled ARC) on the TV. I've tried every menu and pressed every button on both related remotes including those related to the Sony Sync menus.

HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-07-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Unplug the POWER cords for three full minutes for all your equipment, especially the Tv and sound system. If that doesn't help then Factory Reset them. If that doesn't work then use another available connection like optical.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-07-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Have you updated any components lately? ARC is usually associated with CEC because both use an HDMI connection. It sounds like it's the CEC part that is not selecting the correct input and not necessarily the ARC. Both devices have to be ARC capable and you must use the HDMI inputs that are labeled as such. A common setup is to connect everything to the receiver and then run a single HDMI out to the tv. If you don't want to use ARC, then run an optical cable from the tv back to the receiver. That way any audio that uses the tv as a source (internal ATSC tuner, externally connected device) will transmit the audio to the receiver via the optical cable. Other devices that are connected to the receiver will send audio thru the receiver and the video to the tv. Personally, I have ARC/CEC disabled because it's too flaky for me and use an optical cable for the audio from the tv to the receiver, and a programmable remote like a Harmony to control the entire system with a single remote.

Resetting your system as suggested is a good idea just in case you received an auto-update that has now created some sort of incompatibility.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 45
ARC can be a pain. Lot of people just give up and use optical cable instead.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-08-2014, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Many thanx for the replies.

Rechecking my updates and then going to unplug the lot (wait a few minutes) and start again and if I'm still struggling I will go the optical route.

Once again, many thanx.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page