Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-17-2014, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
home theater cabling, amplifier, arc

Hi!

First, I don't know if this is the proper sub-forum for this question (that's what you get with newcomers!) , but here we go...

I am looking how to install the cabling of my new house.

I would like to have a basic home entertainment system , simple 5.1 with a few in-wall and in-ceiling custom speakers. (maybe boston audio - not too expensive it seems)

Can I wire my audio cables to the 'technical area' ?
... and install the amplifier in that technical area where it is connected with HDMI to my wall mounted TV? I would like to avoid that amplifier beneath my TV if possible.

If I understand correctly then the ARC protocol over HDMI can fully control the amplifier (using my TV remote) and I need no physical access, right?

Do you have a suggestion for such an amplifier? (which doesn't consume a lot of electricity in stand-by (if it does that!?))

Also, I was looking at the recommended placement of the front speakers in a 5.1 set up, and I can only manage to get a 17 percent angle instead of the recommended 22-30. Shouldn't be a big issue, right?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-17-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
ARC is only a way to send audio from the TV to the AVR without needing a separate optical or digital coax cable. HDMI-CEC is the control system and I would be hesitant to rely on it. HDMI Control is notoriously flaky. You'd be better off getting a good remote. If you want to hide the equipment, get an IR sensor or an RF remote.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-17-2014, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Agree about ARC/CEC. I disabled ARC and use an optical cable for sending audio from my tv to the receiver for OTA 5.1 television. I disabled CEC control and use a Harmony remote to control all of my devices with a single push of a button or two.

Ideally if you're going to move audio/video via HDMI from one room to another the best way to accomplish that is to use a CAT-6/HDBT setup. If you want to put the cabling in-wall, then install 1" conduit and then run a couple of CAT-6 cables. That is the best way to "future proof" your setup for quite a few years. You can use the CAT-6 to extend an ethernet connection (like I do from router to an 8-port giga switch and then off to my HTS) or to extend an HDMI connection using the HDBast-T (HDBT) connection. That's a bit more expensive but is probably the best way to do that. Whatever you choose to do, at the very least run your cables in a conduit. If you ever have to repair/replace a cable and it's in a conduit, you will be so happy you installed it that way. Just make sure the cable doesn't have any sharp bends. I installed conduit in the walls but the cable in the attic space is open to the space and carefully laid in place.

Speaker wire can be about anything you want to use as long as you pay attention to the distance and ohms. I use 2-wire ribbed, insulated 16AWG wire for a run of about 35' to push 8ohms. The connectors used can be bare wire, banana plug, what ever. I used heater cord wire for mine and it's just fine.

Speaker placement can be what ever sounds best to you because listening environments vary considerably depending on room size, furnishings, etc. Wall mounted speakers will limit your listening environment somewhat if you ever change the environment (couches, curtains, carpeted flooring to hardware or vice versa, etc). The basic setup is your front R/L speakers should be at least 6' apart, and at a height that is ear level when sitting in the your optimum position. Center is usually below the tv but can be above the tv. Sub is off to the side and at a position where you can't localize the sound. Side speakers are to the side of the couch (or your main listening position) or slightly behind you. The height should be ear level as well. The angle of the speakers is something I've never paid too much attention to (maybe I should) so I just angle mine in slightly to my listening position. My side speakers are probably 12' apart so they are a bit further apart than the front R/L. Calibrating your audio is a whole different matter.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 08-17-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page