Help hooking up TV, Cable, HTIB PLEASE!! - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By JChin

Old 08-23-2014, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help hooking up TV, Cable, HTIB PLEASE!!

Ok so heres my hardware

I have a shaw HD digital cable box
5.1 CH Samsung 3D Blu ray surround system HTF-5550 surround system
Samsung UN60F7100 60-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D HDTV (TV has an HDMI1 STB and HDMI2 ARC)
xbox 360
xbox one

My current setup is working minus the xbox 360... moved to a new house and before we moved i had everything going fine including the xbox 360 working off the receiver so im not sure what boo boo i made. Any help appreciated !!

Current setup:

HTIB HDMI OUT >> XBOXONE HDMI IN
HTIB HDMI IN >> CABLE BOX HDMI OUT
XBOX ONE HDMI OUT TO TV >> HDMI ARC IN or HDMI STB (let me know which one would be better please for this mix)

Everything is working fine amongst these devices but it seems however i throw the xbox 360 back into the mix i cant get sound. I tried just adding the xbox 360 to an HDMI on the tv and then adding an optical cable from the xbox to the HTIB and then selecting D. IN on the HTIB but still have no sound.... What am i missing here? Is my other setup wrong on the other devices if i want the 360 to work in the mix? PLEASE HELP !! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

anyone that can help yet? Thanks !!
Old 08-24-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thuggy1111 View Post
anyone that can help yet? Thanks !!
Try changing the audio out on the xbox 360 to PCM or stereo. It appears the xbox 360 is ouputting audio the HTIB cannot decode.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post
Try changing the audio out on the xbox 360 to PCM or stereo. It appears the xbox 360 is ouputting audio the HTIB cannot decode.
Also whatever setup i have is now not giving me sound on my vuze app which streams video from my pc to tv. I have never had this issue in the past. Xbox 360 is now working btw. More detailed help is appreciated and in a post in the past this is how someone told me to hook up my devices but this was before the xbox one was in the mix. So any help is appreciated PLEASE!!! Also my tv and blu ray use a system called anynet+ for audio. I think the vuze issue is due to me having the optical connected to the xbox 360 into the blu ray. My reasoning is i think in the past when i would switch the source on my tv to the vuze streaming app, the blu ray would automatically switch the source from HDMI to D IN on the receiver however now it just stays on HDMI and if i switch to D IN manually it wont matter since the optical is connected to the 360!! This is confusing and frustrating since before i moved i had everything running fine. I knew i should have taken pictures before i unplugged everything lol

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/109-ho...ib.htmlhttp://

Last edited by thuggy1111; 08-24-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

You say the Xbox 360 is now working. How is it connected in the system? Knowing that may help me understand the pc issue.

Is everything except the pc working correctly now?
Old 08-25-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Also my tv and blu ray use a system called anynet+ for audio. I think the vuze issue is due to me having the optical connected to the xbox 360 into the blu ray. My reasoning is i think in the past when i would switch the source on my tv to the vuze streaming app, the blu ray would automatically switch the source from HDMI to D IN on the receiver however now it just stays on HDMI and if i switch to D IN manually it wont matter since the optical is connected to the 360!! This is confusing and frustrating since before i moved i had everything running fine. I knew i should have taken pictures before i unplugged everything lol
Anynet+ is Samsung's version of CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) which is part of the ARC/CEC protocols. It allows you to use a single HDMI cable to have bi-directional audio (ARC, receiver to tv and back again) and control your devices with a single remote (CEC). ARC/CEC is full of problems. The CEC protocols are not standardized and are optional. So not all mfrs use the same sets of protocols, even within the same mfr, to control your devices (turn on/off, automatically switch inputs, etc). They may work initially but if you add another device, update your system, etc, issues might happen. Also, all of your devices have to be ARC capable to use the ARC feature. The only real advantage of ARC is that it eliminates the need to use an optical cable. Both, ARC and optical, can only transmit 5.1 audio at best. I would disable ARC/CEC on all of your devices, use an optical cable, and get a programmable remote such as a Harmony to control all of your devices with a single remote.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You say the Xbox 360 is now working. How is it connected in the system? Knowing that may help me understand the pc issue.

Is everything except the pc working correctly now?
Ok so i have the optical currently running from the xbox 360 to the surround system. Before i moved i had everything working so i have a feeling its just the way i am running the optical maybe? And yes everything is working now minus vuze on my tv. The way the optical is currently setup, maybe that has disabled the audio running on vuze from the pc to the tv? Any additional help is appreciated !!!
Old 08-25-2014, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Also, i have to switch to D. IN on the blu ray to get sound from the xbox 360. If i leave it on HDMI i get no sound which is expected since i have the 360 running on optical so thats fine. So i know i have one small configuration wrong currently. Also another poster said to disable all ARC on the tv, is that truly necessary? I heard that ARC can be handy in some situations such as apps on the tv etc like netflix. I dont think i need to disable it do I? Everything else is working fine and like i said before i moved everything was working fine but i foolishly didnt note how i was connected before i unhooked it all lol
Old 08-27-2014, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Antone else have any ideas how to solve the no sound from my vuze stream to tv? Thanks
Old 08-29-2014, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

If anyone has a solution please help me out. I am willing to start from scratch if necessary to get the best audio video performance etc and get all devices working correctly again !!!

P.S. Vuze works find on my blu ray player via all share but still no audio when accessing vuze through the tv. Any help is greatly appreciated !!

Last edited by thuggy1111; 08-29-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If anyone has a solution please help me out. I am willing to start from scratch if necessary to get the best audio video performance etc and get all devices working correctly again !!!

P.S. Vuze works find on my blu ray player via all share but still no audio when accessing vuze through the tv. Any help is greatly appreciated !!
If I understand correctly you now have the Xbox 360 connected to the TV with HDMI. You also have an optical cable from the Xbox 360 to the HTIB.

If this is correct try running the current optical cable from the optical out on your TV to the HTIB. Leave everything else as it is now. I am assuming that the TV has a optical out.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If I understand correctly you now have the Xbox 360 connected to the TV with HDMI. You also have an optical cable from the Xbox 360 to the HTIB.

If this is correct try running the current optical cable from the optical out on your TV to the HTIB. Leave everything else as it is now. I am assuming that the TV has a optical out.
ok i will give that a try and let you know how it turns out
Old 08-30-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

Hi thuggy1111, this is my suggestion for connection with ARC enabled.

Cable box -> HDMI cable -> UN60F7100 HDMI-1

Cable box -> Optical cable -> HTF-5550 Digital Audio In

Xbox 360 -> HDMI cable -> Xbox One In

Xbox One Out -> HDMI cable -> HTF-5550 HDMI In

HTF-5550 Out -> HDMI cable -> UN60F7100 HDMI-2

Also ensure that surround sound is selected in Cable Box, Xbox 360 and Xbox One audio menu.
HDMI Guy and thuggy1111 like this.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

ok great! Giving that a try now
Old 08-31-2014, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot JChin and HDMIGuy everything works great now!!!
Old 11-23-2014, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Update: ok with the current setup you guys suggested, everything is working but i do have one minor issue. The current setup has my xbox one and xbox 360 working on the same source. So for example when i click to go to hdmi2 and then switch to hdmi on HTIB i am on the xbox one. No biggie, i simply say xbox watch tv and then i am in the xbox 360. However i would rather have the xbox one working with my cable box so that i can simply switch between those instead. Is there a couple cords i can switch around so i have the xbox one and cable box working together instead of the xbox one and xbox 360 on the same source?
Old 11-23-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Update: ok with the current setup you guys suggested, everything is working but i do have one minor issue. The current setup has my xbox one and xbox 360 working on the same source. So for example when i click to go to hdmi2 and then switch to hdmi on HTIB i am on the xbox one. No biggie, i simply say xbox watch tv and then i am in the xbox 360. However i would rather have the xbox one working with my cable box so that i can simply switch between those instead. Is there a couple cords i can switch around so i have the xbox one and cable box working together instead of the xbox one and xbox 360 on the same source?
I would try the following if the Xbox 360 has optical out.

Xbox 360 -> HDMI cable -> UN60F7100 HDMI-1

Xbox 360 -> Optical cable -> HTF-5550 Digital Audio In

Cable box -> HDMI cable -> Xbox One In

Xbox One Out -> HDMI cable -> HTF-5550 HDMI In

HTF-5550 Out -> HDMI cable -> UN60F7100 HDMI-2

Also ensure that surround sound is selected in Cable Box, Xbox 360 and Xbox One audio menu.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

ok thanks i will give it a try. Also i like yo use my tv for netflix and vuze for streaming from my pc to tv etc. i should be ok and still have audio with this setup correct? i do have hdmi arc on this tv
Old 11-25-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
ok thanks i will give it a try. Also i like yo use my tv for netflix and vuze for streaming from my pc to tv etc. i should be ok and still have audio with this setup correct? i do have hdmi arc on this tv
This should work fine. You will not be changing anything between the TV and your audio receiver. All my suggestion does is swap the cable box and the Xbox 360 connections.

Last edited by HDMI Guy; 11-25-2014 at 02:08 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement