AVS Forum banner

Looking for some friendly advice

264 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  slamus 
#1 ·
I posted this in the soundbar forum the other day, but it hasn't gotten much attention so I thought I'd try posting it here. My apologies if it is unwanted.
So I just got the Vizio S4251w-B4 5.1 soundbar on a solid black friday deal. I had been looking at this bar for a month or so and the sale was too good to pass up. I got it home, got it set up (after some headache of being new to Home Theater), and now I'm having second thoughts. The biggest issue I'm having is that the rear speakers do not get their own discrete signals sent to them. They get one signal that is then split between them. It took me a very long time to find confirmation of this, but I finally found people talking about it in another thread on AVS. My second gripe is that I can't use this thing with my Wii U as the Wii U only puts out a PCM signal and this bar has no HDMI port.
I Love the sound coming out of the system. It sounds far better than any set up I have had before. I love the surround sound too, but the obsessive nerd in me hates knowing that I'm not getting a true 5.1 experience.
The question is this:
Should I stick with this soundbar and enjoy the great sound and convenience of wireless and having it all work with one remote even though I know that its not perfect; or should I return it, drop an extra hundred or two for an onkyo HTIB and get a true 5.1 system?
Is the difference between two distinct rear channels so noticeably better that its worth the hassle of wiring my whole place, using a separate receiver, and spending potentially twice the money?
I appreciate any input!
Sam

See less See more
#2 ·
Unfortunately that decision is entirely up to you. Most entry level HTiB systems (Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon) are much better in terms of sound quality than the Vizio. The downside is that if you are set on wireless, that's going to be difficult. If you haven't done so already, I'd try to listen to a "real" 5.1 system, ideally with the same source material, and listen to the difference. My guess is that once you hear 5 discrete speakers thru a receiver you'll never go back to a soundbar. Cost is always a consideration but you can pick up a nice system for $300 - $400. Speakers on these systems aren't the best in the world but are probably considerably better than what comes with soundbars. There are some really nice high end soundbars but they are way out of your price point.

#3 ·
Unfortunately I don't really have access to any 5.1 systems. I'm the biggest tech nerd in my friend group.
I'm actually very pleased with the quality of the sound on the vizio system. The issue all boils down to what is essentially a 4.1 system (with the rear speakers as one unit) or a 5.1 system. I know its all up to me, but I was hoping for some other tech nerd to help push me in one direction of the other. I'll consider this a vote for a HTIB! Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.