AVS Forum banner

Sony HTB - terrible speakers

1K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Otto Pylot 
#1 ·
For a few years now I have had a Sony BDV-HZ970W Blu-ray Home Theater System hooked up to just my tv. About a year ago I setup an HTPC - currently have a PS4, PS3, TV, HTPC, Wii-U - Everything runs through this HTB. I usually use the calibration feature to setup the speakers, and boost the center speaker because we can never hear what people are saying.

I would love to ditch the HTB and get a receiver, but doing all of that is way out of my price range. I'm curious if there is a way to just replace a few of the speakers that come with this? At least the center speaker. I haven't found much on putting better speakers on these proprietary systems.

#2 ·
If you're good and creative with wiring you may be able to rig something up but that's one of the big limitations with integrated systems (built-in blu-ray player). The speaker connectors are usually proprietary and the sub is passive (derives its power from the blu-ray player). You also need to pay attention to ohm rating of the speakers.

#3 ·
Htib are for people on a very strict budget. You sat receiver is way out of price range. You can find new receivers for 200$ and used ones for next to nothing if you look hard and are patient. As for swapping speakers well that just just as expensive. And reason for boosting center is because most likely the center garbage. so, what kind of budget do you have?

#4 · (Edited)
I remember buying that unit for around $400 and I thought that was a lot at the time. I could always sell it for 200-300. Budget, probably $500? It really depends I guess. The sound quality on this thing is terrible. The surround speakers...S-Air rear speakers, I can rarely hear them except for certain movies. I use my Samsung TV remote to control the volume of the HTIB because I don't like using multiple remotes.

Edit: I saw that someone on Amazon had added S-CN5000 and S-F7000 to replace center and left/right front speakers - all of which are now discontinued.

#7 ·
A non-integrated HTiB is just the receiver and 5.1 speakers. The receiver should be the hub of your HTS. In other words, all of your devices connect to that for audio and just the video is sent to the tv. Even an entry level receiver should give you all of the newest audio formats, HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2, etc. Pick a price point and then look for separates (receiver and speakers). Some have had luck with refurb receivers, depending on where they purchased them so that's an option to save some money. I'd look at Yamaha, Onkyo, or Denon for receivers. Once you decide on a receiver, go to the speakers forum, and with your price point for speakers, ask what would be a good match for the receiver you want/purchased. You can obviously spends thousands of dollars so that's why you pick a reasonable budget and stick to it. What ever speakers you decide on, they are more than likely going to be better than what you have now so you can always upgrade them later on. Satellite speakers (speakers on stands) are going to be bit more affordable than floor-standing so that's another area where you can save a bit of money. $500 - $600 would be a nice price point range.

#9 ·
Denon and Yamaha are the only two brands I'd consider. My parents have Yamaha RXV371 (much older but same series) and it works great. It's probably 5 years old now and 0 problems. I also have a Yamaha that's a few series higher and love it. You could look at a refurbished Yamaha 3 series (RXV377,375, etc) from accessories for less (online retailer, it's reputable). Then you'd have a bigger budget for the speakers.

For speakers, I'd only concentrate on the front Left and Right. Start with just those two speakers and add speakers as your budget permits. In a space that large, your budget is much too small for a 5.1 system. Assuming ~$350 for a pair of front speakers, I'd look at Polk RTi A3s. They'll play pretty low for bookshelves, which will help your sound as buying a subwoofer will likely be a future purchase. Plus they look great and have a wonderful sound for their price point.

#10 ·
I have the RXV371 and it is indeed a solid performer. However, it is only HDMI 1.4 so if you're considering the newer formats that will require HDMI 2.0 hardware, you'll have to move up to more recent Yamaha. For me, if I was to replace the front sound stage I would at least replace R/L/Center for the reasons I mentioned above.

#11 ·
The RLC should absolutely match. Get the CSi A6 center too. I'm just assuming it's out of his budget by a good bit. So start with just Left and Right. Then add center later on. Sell the whole HTIB. Don't try to use the HTIB center or surrounds.

#13 · (Edited)
I was peeking through accessories for less and saw they were out of the 375 and 377. Curious about the 477. I guess things like spotify aren't that important because I have an HTPC that will be hooked up to it. I am definitely going to sell the HTS. My TV is wall mounted and I have an Ikea Besta style entertainment center and have been keeping my floor speakers off to the sides with the tiny center speaker sitting in the center of the unit.

I would go probably $300 on the L/R speaker pair. One of my cats loves to sink his teeth into the cloth protectors on the outside of the standing speakers, luckily he has never torn them. I think he just likes to mark the speakers. What about something like this? Pioneer SP-PK52FS Andrew Jones 5.1 Home Theater Speaker Package or would that just be a complete waste of money?

#14 ·
What I've gathered from the whole HDMI 2.0 deal is that it's mostly dealing with 4K? Definitely don't plan on getting anything 4k. I've had my tv for 2 years now and it's the greatest. I like the idea of Airplay because we use MacBooks. Still not sure.

#15 ·
That's entirely up to you. Personally, I think way too much is being made for 4k, at least at this point in time. Next year and beyond I think it will make a difference but one will have to upgrade all of the devices to take full advantage of what 4k and beyond will offer.

I have an AppleTV 2 so I can use Airplay directly to my tv so that's a feature that is not important to me for my receiver.

#16 · (Edited)
Am also upgrading a HTIB. Mine is LG & as advised above I started with the L/R speakers. Got the BIC DV62si. Mounted them on my DIY stands and the look very nice. Then later bought the BIC DV52CLR centre as the matching DV62CLR-S centre would have been huge for the space. Placed below the mounted tv angled up to focus sound at the ear level while seated. The HTIB receiver has a very basic menu for setting the speaker volumes & distance. Got a measuring tape and did actual distance from each speaker to my listening position including the mounted surrounds. Put in the distances in the HTIB then balanced the volumes for the mains & centre. What a difference.

For the first time I did a sub crawl for the passive HTIB sub and though not large(think it's 7.5" or 8"), what a big difference it made to the bass. Just found I had placed the sub in the wrong place. No more boomy and localized sound :).
Next upgrade is the surrounds then receiver and last sub. But am so impressed by the speaker change and sub placement. Working my way up on a budget as I don't need earth shaking sound. Also I think am addicted to AVS now :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.