Samsung HTIB H6500 no dialogue without center? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-27-2015, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Samsung HTIB H6500 no dialogue without center?

AVS,

Having a strange issues that I spent nearly an hour on. Basically, I'm not running a center on this setup because I've attached Magnepans. The Samsung can't seem to phantom center so I get no dialogue. I also chucked the surround speakers so I'm most likely not getting surround information sent back to the front speakers either

The only workaround was the "Announcer" DSP mode. It seems to matrix the center and produce dialogue but I have no idea what other information Is lost. Is there any way to run 2 channel on this system or does Samsung require you to run all the channels?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Sounds like (no pun intended) that you'll have to run it in stereo mode so that all channels are driven to just R/L. My guess if you drive it in 5.1, but don't have the channels present for the audio, you'll just lose them.

The 6500 is a wireless integrated system (integrated being as it has a built-in blu-ray player) so quite often because of the integration you don't have the options for versatility like you would have with a standalone receiver and the wireless capabilities of the side speakers may have something to do with it as well. A lot of integrated systems are designed to work most effectively with the speakers that came with the package.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm actually asking how to switch to 2ch mode. That is my preference. I just don't know how to do it. When I switch from TrueHD to 2ch, it starts the DVDs commentary track for some reason.

The replacement speakers don't change the functionality of the system other than much better sound so I'm not so sure if this is designed to work best with the built in speakers. After all it's simply an amp producing watts no different than any other watt from a standalone system. As long as I don't exceed a listening level that produces audible distortion, I shouldn't hear any difference between this amp and separates. Anyways, any ideas on how to get this center dialogue into the front channels?

Last edited by snyderkv; 11-28-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Other than calling Samsung, no. Again, it could be due to the limited capabilities of the 6500. One would think not because converting to 2ch should be a no-brainer.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Other than calling Samsung, no. Again, it could be due to the limited capabilities of the 6500. One would think not because converting to 2ch should be a no-brainer.
Bummer
Old 12-02-2015, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Are you saying you've configured the system as having only L/R speakers, but it's still performing as though it is 5.1? If so, try a system reset and start over again.

EDIT: after looking at the manual for the HT-H6500, it looks like it doesn't have a way to configure the number of speakers that are attached. However, there is a Downmix setting on p17 for Normal Stereo. Give that a try. But, it's an HTIB and maybe it assumes you'll attach all the speakers and doesn't have configuration options like a fully functional receiver.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by BIslander; 12-02-2015 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
Are you saying you've configured the system as having only L/R speakers, but it's still performing as though it is 5.1? If so, try a system reset and start over again.

EDIT: after looking at the manual for the HT-H6500, it looks like it doesn't have a way to configure the number of speakers that are attached. However, there is a Downmix setting on p17 for Normal Stereo. Give that a try. But, it's an HTIB and maybe it assumes you'll attach all the speakers and doesn't have configuration options like a fully functional receiver.

Thanks for looking into it I'll check out p17 but have been thinking of buying a slim line Marantz that does nearly the same things and most likely won't have HTIB quirks I'm experiencing

Last edited by snyderkv; 12-03-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 182
A real receiver should fix you right up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement