Recommendations for a small room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-30-2015, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Recommendations for a small room

FYI, I'm a HT newbie.. so please be gentle.

Just moved to a small apartment with hardwood floors.
I picked up a 65" TV and was planning on getting a Vizio 4051 soundbar with wireless sub/satallites.
However, I'm curious if I am making a mistake with the soundbar all-in-one deal. (And I have concerns after reading negatives about the minimum volume/constant hum on that subwoofer)

I'd rather not spend more than $300, but I could rationalize a little more if it meant significant improvement to sound quality and features.
Also, my TV stand has room on either side of the TV, and a soundbar might not actually fit on top of the TV stand.. So narrow/tall speakers would look great there.

So, all of that being said, here's what I'm looking for:
1. ARC so that I don't need a separate remote.
a. This does not limit my ability to do 5.1 sound does it? Are there any drawbacks to this or a reason why I shouldn't use this?

2. Wireless sub+satellites - Not willing to run wires to the back

3. Setting that uses all four speakers so that I can fill the room better with music.

Anyway, I'm totally willing and capable of doing this piece by piece, but that wireless requirement might make that tougher..

Thanks in advance!
-Stephen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-30-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked: 795
The wireless requirement will make it more difficult to find something that will do justice to your new 65" tv, especially at your price point. Wireless quite often means that the side speakers are not wired to the receiver in the front, but they are wired to each other and require a power outlet. There are other wireless options but that can get expensive.

ARC (Audio Return Channel) is for bi-directional audio and has nothing to do with using a single remote. What you are thinking about is CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) which is associated with ARC because both require an HDMI connection. CEC is very problematic in that there are no mfr standards that everyone must follow so incompatibilities are quite common, and they can affect ARC as well. Something to keep in mind. There are no firmware updates to ensure compatibility and no list as to which mfrs work better with each other.

5.1 is best achieved with a separate receiver and speakers. A soundbar can not even come close to the richness in sound of even an entry level system (HTiB). I'm not a fan of soundbars (especially Vizios) so I'm a bit jaded there.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-30-2015, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
The wireless requirement will make it more difficult to find something that will do justice to your new 65" tv, especially at your price point. Wireless quite often means that the side speakers are not wired to the receiver in the front, but they are wired to each other and require a power outlet. There are other wireless options but that can get expensive.

ARC (Audio Return Channel) is for bi-directional audio and has nothing to do with using a single remote. What you are thinking about is CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) which is associated with ARC because both require an HDMI connection. CEC is very problematic in that there are no mfr standards that everyone must follow so incompatibilities are quite common, and they can affect ARC as well. Something to keep in mind. There are no firmware updates to ensure compatibility and no list as to which mfrs work better with each other.

5.1 is best achieved with a separate receiver and speakers. A soundbar can not even come close to the richness in sound of even an entry level system (HTiB). I'm not a fan of soundbars (especially Vizios) so I'm a bit jaded there.
Appreciate it Otto,

Would a $200 Sony STR-DH750 or STR-HH550 be good enough, or will I miss out on clarity or features that I don't know I want? (Don't care about bluetooth/wireless audio streaming, I can get that from my Roku/Android TV)

Thinking I should just get a receiver and a couple of front speakers for now.. get the sub/surround later.. I don't see HDCP2.2 listed on those Sony receivers though..
post #4 of 5 Old 11-30-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Neither receiver is HDCP 2.2 compliant. To get full HDMI2.0a/HDCP2.2 you're going to have to spend more than $200. Purchasing a 5.1 or 7.1 (if you think you'll need that) is not a bad idea and then just add on speakers as your budget allows because you can run a 5.1/7.1 with just a front R/L or R/L/C with or without a sub.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-03-2015, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Neither receiver is HDCP 2.2 compliant. To get full HDMI2.0a/HDCP2.2 you're going to have to spend more than $200. Purchasing a 5.1 or 7.1 (if you think you'll need that) is not a bad idea and then just add on speakers as your budget allows because you can run a 5.1/7.1 with just a front R/L or R/L/C with or without a sub.
Amazon has the Onkyo TX-SR333 which includes HDCP 2.2 for a steal at $180.. but I realized that with my space constraints, I should get something a little sleeker.. and the more I read on this site the more I'm willing to bump my budget. Now I'm looking at the slimline Marantz NR1506 5.2 AVR.

AVSForum is going to be bad for my wallet haha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page