• 1 Post By aaronwt
  • 1 Post By aaronwt

post #1 of 17 Old 05-04-2016, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Onkyo HT-S7800

I ordered this from Amazon the other day. I take it they had the price wrong on it, $634 +tax. But, I have the conformation and order number. Has anyone heard when it will be released? I know they said sometime in May. Just wanted to know would it be closer to the beginning or the end of May.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-11-2016, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Did you ever get this system for that price? They are just showing up in Canada, and the best price I can find is $1299. I can get the 7700 for $899, and was wondering if it was worth it... I know the 7800 has DTS:X and I believe HDMI 2.0a vs only 2.0 on the 7700. I am looking to get an ATMOS set-up in conjunction with a new Vizio p-65, which also finally becomes available on June 23rd (apparently).

Do you like your system?
CaliFTW83 likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-19-2017, 12:26 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 6227 Post(s)
Liked: 3859
Wondering about this too. I am considering getting this in stead of the new Sony Atmos speaker bar. How well has it worked with Atmos and DTS:X? As well as HDR from devices?

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #4 of 17 Old 07-02-2017, 09:22 PM
UHD Addict

I just pulled the trigger on the HT-S7800. I only wish I would have ordered it six months ago instead of waiting for Sony Atmos sound bar. Hopefully the Onkyo will arrive in a couple of weeks. I plan to use my SVS sub instead of the sub it comes with. So hopefully it works well with it.

post #5 of 17 Old 07-03-2017, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I just pulled the trigger on the HT-S7800. I only wish I would have ordered it six months ago instead of waiting for Sony Atmos sound bar. Hopefully the Onkyo will arrive in a couple of weeks. I plan to use my SVS sub instead of the sub it comes with. So hopefully it works well with it.
Sorry, haven't been on the forum in a while. The 7800 system had performed very well. Atmos worked out of the gate, and got the DTS:X update a few months ago. HDR passes just fine between my 2017 Shield Pro and the Vizio P65.

Atmos works, but obviously limited compared to a full on dedicated ceiling speaker setup.

The only this I find a little lacking is the Auto Calibration. Still a little inconsistent.

Enjoy!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
aaronwt likes this.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-06-2017, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have had this system for several months as well for gaming and love it, does any know if it's able to pass Dolby vision through an update?
post #7 of 17 Old 07-17-2017, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anyone had any issues with the HT-S7800 as of yet? I am seriously considering buying a set.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
post #8 of 17 Old 07-17-2017, 10:48 AM
UHD Addict

I set up my S7800 this weekend it's working well with all my devices but I did have one issue with DTS:X. I was getting a buzzing sound through the left front height speaker. But only when DTS:X was in use. I found that if I changed the configuration from using the included Atmos speakers to the option where the Atmos speaker sits on top of the front speakers, that the buzz went away.

No idea what the issue is. But I could consistently make the buzz appear and disappear by changing the configuration. I do have a 45 day return period with BestBuy, but I really don't want to return anything unless absolutely necessary. SInce the box everything comes in is huge. I had to remove the receiver and fold over the top part of the box to get it to fit in my car.

But otherwise I have been very pleased. I am using one HMDI cable for audio and video from my Sony X800 UHD BD player and so far it has been flawless. I'm using a couple of Sewell 18Gbps switches with two of the HDCP 2.2 inputs to accommodate my UHD devices. And the X800 is dedicated to the first HDCP 2.2 input.

i do wish all inputs were HDCP 2.2 instead of the first three. But the Sewell switches work great for a solution.

I also like finally being able to see an overlay when viewing 2160P60 content. Plus being able to see the color space. My SOny speaker bar didn't have the info and only had an overlay with 2160P30 and lower.

Although the Onkyo overlay seems to truncate the decimals for framerate. So 59.94 shows up as 59 instead of 60. And 23.97 shows up as 23 instead of 24.

post #9 of 17 Old 07-17-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I set up my S7800 this weekend it's working well with all my devices but I did have one issue with DTS:X. I was getting a buzzing sound through the left front height speaker. But only when DTS:X was in use. I found that if I changed the configuration from using the included Atmos speakers to the option where the Atmos speaker sits on top of the front speakers, that the buzz went away.

No idea what the issue is. But I could consistently make the buzz appear and disappear by changing the configuration. I do have a 45 day return period with BestBuy, but I really don't want to return anything unless absolutely necessary. SInce the box everything comes in is huge. I had to remove the receiver and fold over the top part of the box to get it to fit in my car.

But otherwise I have been very pleased. I am using one HMDI cable for audio and video from my Sony X800 UHD BD player and so far it has been flawless. I'm using a couple of Sewell 18Gbps switches with two of the HDCP 2.2 inputs to accommodate my UHD devices. And the X800 is dedicated to the first HDCP 2.2 input.

i do wish all inputs were HDCP 2.2 instead of the first three. But the Sewell switches work great for a solution.

I also like finally being able to see an overlay when viewing 2160P60 content. Plus being able to see the color space. My SOny speaker bar didn't have the info and only had an overlay with 2160P30 and lower.

Although the Onkyo overlay seems to truncate the decimals for framerate. So 59.94 shows up as 59 instead of 60. And 23.97 shows up as 23 instead of 24.

I read about the left height speaker buzzing issue a number of other places (including Onkyo support website I believe?). But you're saying its an intermittent thing.

Regarding the receiver, apparently some older models had "no audio" issues which would die all of a sudden. Does this set have any issues of the sort?
post #10 of 17 Old 07-17-2017, 12:46 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHUW View Post
I read about the left height speaker buzzing issue a number of other places (including Onkyo support website I believe?). But you're saying its an intermittent thing.

Regarding the receiver, apparently some older models had "no audio" issues which would die all of a sudden. Does this set have any issues of the sort?
The problem isn't intermittent. It is predicable when it happens. Only when playing DTS:X content and only when the configuration is set to use the included DOlby Atmos Speakers. If I change the configuration to just use Atmos speakers on top of regular FL/FR speakers, and play DTS:X content, then there is no buzz. Maybe it has something to do with the Impedance it's expecting in that situation?

I've only been using mine since Friday night. But since changing the 5.1.2 configuration, I've not had any problems.

EDIT: Thanks. I didn't realize the buzzing issue was a known problem. So hopefully the configuration change I made continues to solve it. But since it's an issue many people have had, there is no need for me to worry about returning it. Unless the issue crops up again in my current configuration setting.
MHUW likes this.

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-17-2017 at 12:51 PM.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-18-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
The problem isn't intermittent. It is predicable when it happens. Only when playing DTS:X content and only when the configuration is set to use the included DOlby Atmos Speakers. If I change the configuration to just use Atmos speakers on top of regular FL/FR speakers, and play DTS:X content, then there is no buzz. Maybe it has something to do with the Impedance it's expecting in that situation?

I've only been using mine since Friday night. But since changing the 5.1.2 configuration, I've not had any problems.

EDIT: Thanks. I didn't realize the buzzing issue was a known problem. So hopefully the configuration change I made continues to solve it. But since it's an issue many people have had, there is no need for me to worry about returning it. Unless the issue crops up again in my current configuration setting.
Correct me if I'm wrong - You're not using the Atmos speakers (on top of the FL/FR), yes? So basically a 5.1 config.

I am really tempted to pull the trigger on this set as it comes with a lot of features at an excellent price point. Read some units dying and speaker issue horror stories (on other Onkyo models), hence confused. Trying to see if I can find any (other) issues with this particular system.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-18-2017, 08:14 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong - You're not using the Atmos speakers (on top of the FL/FR), yes? So basically a 5.1 config.

I am really tempted to pull the trigger on this set as it comes with a lot of features at an excellent price point. Read some units dying and speaker issue horror stories (on other Onkyo models), hence confused. Trying to see if I can find any (other) issues with this particular system.
No. It's still a 5.1.2 configuration. In the settings there are multiple location options for the two Atmos speakers. I initially choose the bundled speaker option. Which produced the loud buzzing. But there is an option where the Atmos speaker sits on top of the FL/FR speakers. Which is essentially the same thing. And there are around half a dozen more options for the two Atmos speakers placement.

I am definitely pleased with the system for the price. I did purchase a 4 year extended warranty from Best Buy for $125, just in case. I'm just glad I was able to get a price match to Amazon from BestBuy.

I'm not really thrilled with having the speaker wires. But there really are no options with speaker bars to have the surround speakers and also decode all the formats. Plus the S7800 has a bunch of HDMI inputs. Although only three are HDCP 2.2 compliant. But the model is over a year old now. The new Onkyo receivers have all the HDMI ports HDCP 2.2 compliant.
MHUW likes this.

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-18-2017 at 08:25 AM.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-18-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
No. It's still a 5.1.2 configuration. In the settings there are multiple location options for the two Atmos speakers. I initially choose the bundled speaker option. Which produced the loud buzzing. But there is an option where the Atmos speaker sits on top of the FL/FR speakers. Which is essentially the same thing. And there are around half a dozen more options for the two Atmos speakers placement.

I am definitely pleased with the system for the price. I did purchase a 4 year extended warranty from Best Buy for $125, just in case. I'm just glad I was able to get a price match to Amazon from BestBuy.

I'm not really thrilled with having the speaker wires. But there really are no options with speaker bars to have the rear surrounds and also decode all the formats. Plus the S7800 has a bunch of HDMI inputs. Although only three are HDCP 2.2 compliant. But the model is over a year old now. The new Onkyo receivers have all the HDMI ports HDCP 2.2 compliant.
Oh.. you have separate Atmos speakers? (Is it the SKH-410?)

I thought you were talking about the built-in Atmos speakers in the front units.

(I hope I'm making sense)
post #14 of 17 Old 07-18-2017, 08:28 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Oh.. you have separate Atmos speakers? (Is it the SKH-410?)

I thought you were talking about the built-in Atmos speakers in the front units.

(I hope I'm making sense)
I have the S7800. Which bundles the speakers and subwoofer with the receiver. The FL/FR speakers have an ATMOS speaker built in, on the top. The system defaults to using the "Bundled speakers" for Atmos. But they are essentially just an Atmos speaker on top of the FL/FR speakers. So I chose that option in the settings. WHich eliminated or at least greatly reduced the buzz when using DTS:X.

I'm not using the included subwoofer though. I'm using my circa 2002/2003 SVS cylindrical subwoofer with the system.

And I didn't use the included wiring. I got 18 AWG speaker wire along with Banana Plugs and Speaker Pin Plugs when they were on sale at Monoprice. Although if I had it over again I would have probably gone with 16 AWG wire. But at the time the 18 AWG wire was a lot cheaper for 100 feet.

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-18-2017 at 08:35 AM.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-19-2017, 03:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Hello. I'm looking at buying the s7800. How's the Dolby atmos effect from the speakers? what's the model number for the receiver included? And lastly, if I don't like the speakers, can I change them with another brand?

my JS8500 movie calibration settings as of 8/8/15 http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post34495410
my JS8500 standard calibration settings as of 6/18/15 http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post35124130
post #16 of 17 Old 08-14-2017, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey can you guys tell me if there is a difference between Onkyo ht-s7800 and Onkyo ht-s5805 or is it the same system but with different names considering the region?
post #17 of 17 Old 08-15-2017, 08:29 PM
UHD Addict

No idea but it seems like Onkyo is coming out with new versions. I see the S3800 has been replaced with the S3900. And the S9700THX has been replaced with the S9800THX. It looks like they are just updating speaker system packages to the 2017 receivers which have HDCP 2.2 on all HDMI inputs. So I guess they will come out with the S7900 soon?

EDIT: I just looked at the EU website for the S5805. That seems to be the equivalent of the S5800 here in the US. Since it only has four HDMI inputs and no banana plug capable inputs for the speakers like the S7800 has.

The S7805 should be the EU equivalent of the S7800 in the US. It looks like the same receiver my S7800 came with. With eight HDMI inputs. And only three of them being HDCP 2.2 capable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page