Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 09-18-2017, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 64
5.1 Home Theater System

Hello, I'm looking for a 5.1 system. Preferably a HTIB. Dolby Atmos is not a necessity, but it should be able to pass Dolby Vision and HDR10 signal via HDMI. I'm finding that a lot of them don't. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-18-2017, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 1044
Price point? Look at Yamaha, Onkyo, or Denon if you want a separate receiver only and a speaker set. I would not recommend getting an integrated receiver (built-in blu-ray player). Depending on your price point, you could get separates (recommended) which is a receiver and speakers of your choice (not bundled with the receiver).
post #3 of 18 Old 09-18-2017, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Price point? Look at Yamaha, Onkyo, or Denon if you want a separate receiver only and a speaker set. I would not recommend getting an integrated receiver (built-in blu-ray player). Depending on your price point, you could get separates (recommended) which is a receiver and speakers of your choice (not bundled with the receiver).
Around $600. I was looking at Onkyo but was not clear on their HDR support for both DV and HDR10. Not many if any have DV support out of the box. Some either are waiting for a firmware update or they just don't support it. I'll keep researching. Right now I'm using a soundbar via ARC, although it's an improvement over TV speakers it's not as good as a true 5.1 system.

post #4 of 18 Old 09-18-2017, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

looking at the YHT-4930UBL. Not sure if this is any good, but it does support both DV and HDR10.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-18-2017, 06:26 PM

^^^^ $600 is doable for separates if you can find a refurb receiver. It's been awhile since I've looked at receivers but I don't know if there are any at that price point that are both DV and HDR10. You might want to go to the Receivers Forum and ask what is available in the way of receivers for both HDR formats.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-18-2017, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^^^^ $600 is doable for separates if you can find a refurb receiver. It's been awhile since I've looked at receivers but I don't know if there are any at that price point that are both DV and HDR10. You might want to go to the Receivers Forum and ask what is available in the way of receivers for both HDR formats.
Looks like the YHT-4930UBL has everything I'm looking for. Here is a link to the website https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...ubl/index.html

It's fairly new so there isnt a whole lot of information I can find.

Last edited by akadennis; 09-18-2017 at 06:44 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 09-18-2017, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anyone have any experience with this system https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...ubl/index.html
post #8 of 18 Old 09-18-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
Looks like the YHT-4930UBL has everything I'm looking for. Here is a link to the website https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...ubl/index.html

It's fairly new so there isnt a whole lot of information I can find.
I have a Yamaha receiver (older model) and have been very happy with its performance. We use it every single day whenever we watch tv. It runs cool and has never had any issues.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-18-2017, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have a Yamaha receiver (older model) and have been very happy with its performance. We use it every single day whenever we watch tv. It runs cool and has never had any issues.
great, i was just reading that Hybrid Log-Gamma and Dolby Vision Compatible will be available via future firmware update. I'll have to call and see if that's available yet.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-19-2017, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have been trying to get some info on the YHT-4930UBL and have been unsuccessful. Calling Yamaha is useless cause no one ever picks up the phone, kept on hold for over 20 min. The specs on this unit says it supports both HDR10 and DV via future firmware update. My question to Yamaha or anyone who might know is how will this unit be updated since it does not appear to have wifi or ethernet? I cant believe no one on here owns this unit.
post #11 of 18 Old 09-19-2017, 08:37 PM

Any device that says it will be "XX compatible" gives me pause. What does compatible mean? Fully compliant or just able to handle some of the specs? Upgrade is probably via the USB port.
post #12 of 18 Old 09-20-2017, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any device that says it will be "XX compatible" gives me pause. What does compatible mean? Fully compliant or just able to handle some of the specs? Upgrade is probably via the USB port.
thanks again. this is available everywhere, BB, PC Richard, Amazon etc. The few reviews I read are favorable but no mention of its HDR compatibility. My guess is there is no update yet since I don't see it on the yamaha website. My current soundbar has some audio sync problems when hooked up via HDMI to my LG OLED. A lot of people seem to have similar issues with their LG OLED as well. Optical connection works fine though, no sync issues. Downfall with optical his it doesnt fully output the HD/HR audio formats
post #13 of 18 Old 09-20-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
thanks again. this is available everywhere, BB, PC Richard, Amazon etc. The few reviews I read are favorable but no mention of its HDR compatibility. My guess is there is no update yet since I don't see it on the yamaha website. My current soundbar has some audio sync problems when hooked up via HDMI to my LG OLED. A lot of people seem to have similar issues with their LG OLED as well. Optical connection works fine though, no sync issues. Downfall with optical his it doesnt fully output the HD/HR audio formats
Audio sync problem with a lot of soundbars is not uncommon. It's probably not the LG but the soundbar. Optical is no better than ARC when it comes to audio formats. Both have the bandwidth for discreet 5.1 but not HD audio (DTS-MA, Dolby True HD, etc). The only advantage of ARC is the elimination of the optical cable.

I haven't looked at the specs of the LG in a long time so I don't know if it's capable of passing any audio format other than 5.1 from an externally connected source via HDMI. A lot of panels don't have the built-in audio circuitry to do that so it's always best to use the avr as the hub of your HTS and just pass the video to the panel and let the avr handle all of the audio formats. The only disadvantage of using an avr is if you want to use CEC for single remote control of your HTS. CEC is still poorly implemented across all mfrs. so changing sources can be an issue. It is also quite often associated with ARC so disabling or enabling one disables/enables the other. Most of us disable ARC/CEC altogether and use an optical cable from the panel to the avr for SmartApp audio and use a programmable remote such as a Harmony for single remote control of your entire HTS.
post #14 of 18 Old 09-20-2017, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Audio sync problem with a lot of soundbars is not uncommon. It's probably not the LG but the soundbar. Optical is no better than ARC when it comes to audio formats. Both have the bandwidth for discreet 5.1 but not HD audio (DTS-MA, Dolby True HD, etc). The only advantage of ARC is the elimination of the optical cable.

I haven't looked at the specs of the LG in a long time so I don't know if it's capable of passing any audio format other than 5.1 from an externally connected source via HDMI. A lot of panels don't have the built-in audio circuitry to do that so it's always best to use the avr as the hub of your HTS and just pass the video to the panel and let the avr handle all of the audio formats. The only disadvantage of using an avr is if you want to use CEC for single remote control of your HTS. CEC is still poorly implemented across all mfrs. so changing sources can be an issue. It is also quite often associated with ARC so disabling or enabling one disables/enables the other. Most of us disable ARC/CEC altogether and use an optical cable from the panel to the avr for SmartApp audio and use a programmable remote such as a Harmony for single remote control of your entire HTS.
I agree with pretty much everything you said except I believe the issue is the TV because I never had any audio sync issues with this soundbar on regular 1080p televisions. It wasn't until I made the jump to 4k HDR that I have these issues. My sync issues happen like you said when using ARC and CEC turned on, optical works perfect but the sound is definitely better with HDMI if it wasn't for this damn sync issue. I may try out that Yamaha unit I talked about this weekend and see if it has the same issues, if it does i'll just return.
post #15 of 18 Old 09-20-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I agree with pretty much everything you said except I believe the issue is the TV because I never had any audio sync issues with this soundbar on regular 1080p televisions. It wasn't until I made the jump to 4k HDR that I have these issues. My sync issues happen like you said when using ARC and CEC turned on, optical works perfect but the sound is definitely better with HDMI if it wasn't for this damn sync issue. I may try out that Yamaha unit I talked about this weekend and see if it has the same issues, if it does i'll just return.
I'm not a fan of soundbars because they just don't have the options that avr's have (decent audio sync capabilities for example) unless you get one of the more expensive ones and even then, they just can't compare overall to a good receiver. Disable ARC/CEC and see if the sync issue goes away. If it does, then you have an incompatibility and there is nothing you can do about that. There are no updates that will correct it, and it's not uncommon to see the incompatibly even within the same device mfr.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-20-2017, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not a fan of soundbars because they just don't have the options that avr's have (decent audio sync capabilities for example) unless you get one of the more expensive ones and even then, they just can't compare overall to a good receiver. Disable ARC/CEC and see if the sync issue goes away. If it does, then you have an incompatibility and there is nothing you can do about that. There are no updates that will correct it, and it's not uncommon to see the incompatibly even within the same device mfr.

I'll do this when I get home but I thought if you disable ARC/CEC then the HDMI connection wouldn't output any sound?
post #17 of 18 Old 09-20-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I'll do this when I get home but I thought if you disable ARC/CEC then the HDMI connection wouldn't output any sound?
CEC controls all your HDMI connected devices with, in theory, a single remote. ARC is bi-directional audio. Disabling ARC/CEC on all of your connected devices disables your HDMI control and audio then becomes uni-directional (from the source to sink). As I indicated above, to get around that you need to use an optical cable and a Harmony remote. If you connect to an ARC labeled HDMI input/output, and have ARC disabled on your devices, the HDMI input will become a "regular" HDMI input/output.
post #18 of 18 Old 09-21-2017, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
CEC controls all your HDMI connected devices with, in theory, a single remote. ARC is bi-directional audio. Disabling ARC/CEC on all of your connected devices disables your HDMI control and audio then becomes uni-directional (from the source to sink). As I indicated above, to get around that you need to use an optical cable and a Harmony remote. If you connect to an ARC labeled HDMI input/output, and have ARC disabled on your devices, the HDMI input will become a "regular" HDMI input/output.
Disabling arc/cec and selecting LPCM for HDMI audio output from Oppo seems to take care of my sync issue. The difference is what my soundbar displays. With bitstream I'm able to see the soundar display DTS HD MA, Dolby D HD. When selecting LPCM my soundbar also displays LPCM. I really didn't notice any difference in sound, they both sounded loud and powerful so I'm happy with this setting. Actually disabling arc/cec took care of another issue I was having with my TV speakers. Basically my TV speakers would not work at all unless I unplugged the HDMI cable going into my soundbar, I no longer have to do this. Thank you very much :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page