Bose 321 GS Series II vs Bose 321 Series II - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-31-2004, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

This is my first post, but I've been reading for awhile. Thanks for the informed and spirited discussions.

We currently have a Bose 321 Series II and are evaluating it for 30 days. So far we really like it. My question, do you think the GS is worth the additional $300? ($999 vs $1299.) The GS speakers are smaller, but that makes no difference to us. The main question: is the sound that much better through the 321 GS Series II speakers than through the standard (non-GS) 321 Series II speakers? I've listened to them side by side and couldn't really tell a difference. But being in the demo room at Bose is not the same as being at home, so I might have missed something. Of course, as I've learned on this forum, Bose doesn't publish by much in the way of hard facts to determine the true difference. I've emailed Bose support and am waiting on an answer.

I am also considering other options too, now that I've read so many opinions (this forum is not lacking in opinions). I do really like the uncluttered look of the 321, the ease of setup, the component hook-up (finally), the all-in-one system, and of course the sound. I'm concerned about the bass, as I've read that many of you say Bose doesn't produce much at the low-end of the spectrum. And although it sounds good, perhaps other systems in this price range ($1000ish) sound better.

We have a small family room, and although we could install a 5.1 system, the 2.1 design is much better suited to our needs.

As an aside, I also saw the new Lifestyle Series II systems last night at the Bose store. I was disappointed (and perplexed) that an adaptor is required for the component out, but the new 321 Series II (GS and non-GS) don't require an adaptor.

Thanks,

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-31-2004, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

I can't comment on the 321 systems, but on the Lifestyle - the reason for the component adapter is simply space savings on the unit. They supply a Y cable that plugs into the S-Video and Composite outputs and converts them into Component. It makes sense - the Composite is 1 of the 3, and the 2 pairs in S-Video each get one of the others. They just switch internal what is going to each port. It's kind of funky when you have the software set to Standard instead of Component - looks like a Monochrome picture. I too was skeptical about the adapter, but it works fine. Most of the Lifestyle systems are not Progressive scan though (at least my 35 isn't)

Who is the more irrational, the man who believes in a God he does not see, or the man who is offended by the God he does not believe in? -Brad Stine
post #3 of 6 Old 09-01-2004, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by KalEl
Hello All,

This is my first post, but I've been reading for awhile. Thanks for the informed and spirited discussions.

We currently have a Bose 321 Series II and are evaluating it for 30 days. So far we really like it. My question, do you think the GS is worth the additional $300? ($999 vs $1299.) The GS speakers are smaller, but that makes no difference to us. The main question: is the sound that much better through the 321 GS Series II speakers than through the standard (non-GS) 321 Series II speakers? I've listened to them side by side and couldn't really tell a difference. But being in the demo room at Bose is not the same as being at home, so I might have missed something. Of course, as I've learned on this forum, Bose doesn't publish by much in the way of hard facts to determine the true difference. I've emailed Bose support and am waiting on an answer.

I am also considering other options too, now that I've read so many opinions (this forum is not lacking in opinions). I do really like the uncluttered look of the 321, the ease of setup, the component hook-up (finally), the all-in-one system, and of course the sound. I'm concerned about the bass, as I've read that many of you say Bose doesn't produce much at the low-end of the spectrum. And although it sounds good, perhaps other systems in this price range ($1000ish) sound better.

We have a small family room, and although we could install a 5.1 system, the 2.1 design is much better suited to our needs.

As an aside, I also saw the new Lifestyle Series II systems last night at the Bose store. I was disappointed (and perplexed) that an adaptor is required for the component out, but the new 321 Series II (GS and non-GS) don't require an adaptor.

Thanks,

Bob
As far as the GS series ll 321 sounding better than the non GS series ll 321 I spent over an hour today at my local Bose store (mainly because of some spirited debate on this forum regarding my other 321 post), I bought along one of my DVD's "Saving Private Ryan" one of my favorite reference disc's.
I spent the hour putting the disc in the GS 321 and the non GS 321, both being the series ll. I kept going back and forth between each unit playing the same chapter (the opening battle scene) my impression after that hour of really listening, DON'T spend the extra $300.00, as a matter of fact I ended up kinda feeling the non GS 321 sounded better than
the silver GS 321.
Kind of a break from my first impression of both units, I had originally thought the GS 321 sounded better than the non GS, I have changed my opinion, stick with the graphite gray non GS and save the $300.00, unless you really really like the silver paint job and the smaller speakers.

Davyo
post #4 of 6 Old 09-01-2004, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Davyo,

I emailed Bose support two questions: what the difference was between the GS and non-GS speakers (other than size and color), and what improvements were made between the original 321 and the Series II 321. They didn't answer my first question (I've asked again), but did answer the second. Here's their reply:

-------
While both the 3-2-1 Home Entertainment System and 3-2-1 Series II Home Entertainment System, work in a similar way, the 3-2-1 Series II system takes advantage of our commitment to continuous improvement to provide the listener with an even higher level of performance.

The improvements to the 3-2-1 Series II system include:

-Progressive scan video that provides high-quality playback of today's most popular audio and video DVD's.
-Component Video output provides the highest resolution video for televisions with component video inputs.
-Improved acoustic performance, from the Acoustimass(R) Module, that delivers lower frequencies, with more clarity.
-Improved user interface Remote Control that allows you to control your TV, VCR, multiple CD changer and cable or satellite boxes.
-Bose link is our proprietary technology that allows our newest, 3-2-1 Series II systems, to integrate with our Bose link equipped Lifestyle(R) products.
-------

The Bose Link doesn't do much for me, but the other improvements are great. Glad to see the Acoustimass was improved also. :D

Bob
post #5 of 6 Old 09-03-2004, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally posted by KalEl
-Improved acoustic performance, from the Acoustimass(R) Module, that delivers lower frequencies, with more clarity.
-Bose link is our proprietary technology that allows our newest, 3-2-1 Series II systems, to integrate with our Bose link equipped Lifestyle(R) products.
-------
Number one must be so minimal of a change I couldnt even tell when comparing the two systems...

Number two is really a waste...

Regarding GS vs. non GS in either series... Save your money, and then think logically for a moment. They are actually selling you a SMALLER speaker for MORE money in the GS. The size of the enclosure in the non-GS system actually REALLY HELPS because of the dynamic range of vocals and music, those little speakers need all the help they can to produce semi-accurate midrange tones without the help of any Center channel at all.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-02-2005, 06:56 PM

Are these system expandable; can you add speakers?
Closed Thread Home Theater In A Box