Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 87 Old 03-28-2006, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone tried any DVD-AUDIO discs on this unit? I tried the DVD-A of pink floyd's Dark Side of the Moon (EMI quad mix) and the surround left rear channel is very very low. The dts track plays just fine.
post #63 of 87 Old 03-30-2006, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Acccording to Samsung's website, the P50 uses a DCDi (Faroudja) scaler/de-interlacer which a very nice scaler, if true. The DVD quality should be excellent, especially through HDMI/DVI.
post #64 of 87 Old 04-02-2006, 05:10 AM

how would a firmware update be applied?
post #65 of 87 Old 09-08-2006, 07:49 AM

Hi,
Any news about the progress scan fix? I'm having other kinds of problems with this device also, in some movies the subtitles suddenly disappears... or the system change the subtitles color to blue after the screen saver.
It seems that this equipment has a lot of bugs
Thanks.
post #66 of 87 Old 09-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethk View Post

Acccording to Samsung's website, the P50 uses a DCDi (Faroudja) scaler/de-interlacer which a very nice scaler, if true. The DVD quality should be excellent, especially through HDMI/DVI.

it is very nice. i have the p50 and it is very very good through HDMI.

the one annoyance is that it may have somewhat poor compatibility with burned discs. i have ritek media, as well as some tayio, and a couple other brands, and some will work, some will not, or stop working halfway through a movie.
there seems to be no pattern. I suspect it may be an overheating issue as well, since i can usually eject the tray with a "stuck/stuttering" movie, leave it for 5-10 seconds and then continue playing without issues for another half hour of the movie or so.

i have two other dvd players and they all play all the disks just fine.

i would have gotten a different machine but my wife loved the speaker design and so she prety much made this choice for us.

is there a way to use the 3 ohm speakers with a regular amp? probably not.

i hope theres some sort of firmware update to hopefully adress some of the issues. they can have it cd burnable like many other non network connected dvd players.
post #67 of 87 Old 09-14-2006, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat078 View Post

how would a firmware update be applied?

If it is like the Apex player that the HT-WP38 replaced, you slap it on a CDR/RW and put it in the machine and power cycle it.

Had to give up on the apex after the 3 disk changer would make disks jump out of the caddy (1/2 to 3/4 inch deep caddy!) and into other disk tray. Not cool...got a few very badly scuffed DVD's.

I've wondered if there are any resources out there for this make/model (wired/wireless)?

I ask, because I still have no Idea what the disk changer's make/model is, as I recall finding updates for various samsung appliances a while back, but when you can't ID the unit, applying updates is like Russian Roulette.
post #68 of 87 Old 10-05-2006, 03:07 PM

I purchased this on sale yesterday and was excited to set it up. It soudned decent enough but was disappointed to learn that i can't make the most basic of treble or bass adjustments. The many dsp and effect settings do work well however. For the $125+tax that I paid, it seems pretty good.

However, I am having difficulty with the sync issue. Is this normal for mos surround processors or unique to this system? i hooked up my satellite receiver to this and tried to watch but noticed a definite delay in audio compared to picture. I trimmed down the AV sync to 0ms, which made it a little better but was still noticeable when comparing with my TV speakers. I know that dvds played in the unit shouldn't have a delay issue but I was hoping to use a separate HDMI dvd player with 1080i but connecting the optical audio. has anyone noticed the syns issue through the digital input as well? Also, someone mentioned in another site that 5.1 only works through the built in dvd player but not for external digital inputs. Is this true?

A great deal on a decent system for casual movie watchers, but the sync is starting to bother me
post #69 of 87 Old 10-08-2006, 10:39 AM

After owning this for the past year, I thought I would comment on this unit again.

As a first-time Home theatre purchase, I am overall satisfied with it. But about 6months into owning it, I started wishing it had some more power. The passive sub does decently, and most people should be happy with it, but the speakers and the sub will not chase anyone out of the room. For big events with a room full of people(like PPV fights), I end up having to crank all volume settings to the max to just barely hit the desired volume/bass levels. The unit could use more bass.

The remote is a real pain. It often takes a minimum of two seperate button presses to get to a certain feature(like to change from TV control to Receiver control) or to hold down buttons for a certain amount of time before getting the desired effect(hold down FF for a few seconds to get DVDs to start fast forwarding instead of chapter skipping). The remote would be somewhat forgivable if I could get a Universal remote to work with this unit, but saddly I cannot find any code that will allow my Dish network DVR to also control this Samsung Receiver/DVD unit.

A few other smaller issues are that the Receiver menus have no control over bass/treble, the DVD load time is somewhat long(but then again many DVD players out there also suffer from this), opening the DVD tray instantly causes the unit to go into DVD-audio mode even if you want the AUX audio to remain playing unti the DVD loads up, and minimul input/output ports.

Overall, the two killer issues for me are:
1) Bad remote, with inability so far to find a working code to get my Dish DVR and this unit working from same universal remote.
2) Average bass and volume levels.

If I had to do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I would invest the $200 spent on this into a dedicated Receiver. But since this was my first home theatre system purchase, and was educational, I am satisfied with this.
post #70 of 87 Old 10-12-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoomani View Post

someone mentioned in another site that 5.1 only works through the built in dvd player but not for external digital inputs. Is this true?(

can u send a link to that site (or e-mail me)? this doesn't make a lot of sense. if it has digital optical in and dd decoding, what the hell is the dig-optical-in good for? 2 ppl in this thread say it works great, 2 ppl say it either doesn't (or may not) work or only "fakes" it.

i am considering using this model as a temporary receiver until the new HD sound formats come out and HDMI becomes the commonplace connection. believe it or not, i consider these older models infinitely superior to the new samsung models with HDMI, improved USB and XM, for 1 reason: the old ones have AM tuners (the new ones don't) and I listen to talk radio every day and i ain't paying for it.

but if you're saying i can get dd5.1 from my xbox via digital optical input, screw this model. if anyone can comment on that, it is infinitely appreciated...
post #71 of 87 Old 10-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChomskyKnows View Post

can u send a link to that site (or e-mail me)? this doesn't make a lot of sense. if it has digital optical in and dd decoding, what the hell is the dig-optical-in good for? 2 ppl in this thread say it works great, 2 ppl say it either doesn't (or may not) work or only "fakes" it.

i am considering using this model as a temporary receiver until the new HD sound formats come out and HDMI becomes the commonplace connection. believe it or not, i consider these older models infinitely superior to the new samsung models with HDMI, improved USB and XM, for 1 reason: the old ones have AM tuners (the new ones don't) and I listen to talk radio every day and i ain't paying for it.

but if you're saying i can get dd5.1 from my xbox via digital optical input, screw this model. if anyone can comment on that, it is infinitely appreciated...

they do have dd5.1 for inputs. my p50 has my ps2 and cable box feeding it optical signals, and it all works just fine.
post #72 of 87 Old 10-13-2006, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydumi View Post

they do have dd5.1 for inputs. my p50 has my ps2 and cable box feeding it optical signals, and it all works just fine.

okay, that's the p50. what about this one, p38?
post #73 of 87 Old 10-23-2006, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You can play divx from a USB device, you just have to rename the file with a .mp3 or .jpg extention to fool it. I have done this a few times and it works fine. This probably also works with the other samsung usb models.

You can add an active sub if it has high level inputs on it. I added an Energy 8.3 sub, I just cut the sub wire and conected it to the 8.3's high level input. It is a huge improvement over the included passive sub.

Does anyone know if there are any direct access remote codes for the AUX1-AUX2-Digital IN-USB inputs? I am trying to use a Harmony remote and it has no way of tracking which aux was last used. Also the USB IN dissapears from the rotation when it is not connected, making it more confusing.
post #74 of 87 Old 11-19-2006, 08:30 AM

I recently bought the subwoofer only on clearance at Target. The plastic connector will not work with my Kenwood receiver. Is there any way to alter the wiring so that I can connect the sub to my unit (the sub jack on the back of my receiver is a normal A/V-in/out).

Thanks!
post #75 of 87 Old 12-19-2006, 04:13 PM

hi, i have a wp38 and burn copies of my movies in dvd-r, this movies freeze finishing movies, somebody have this problem?

Please help me.
post #76 of 87 Old 12-20-2006, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I use DVD +R with no problems in the HT-P38 excpet for when I have a dvd with some bad sectors from burning or factory defects. The P38 handles them pretty well. The remote isn't that good. My main problem is the pet rabbits eating my speaker cables if left unattended! I have not seen any firmware updates.
post #77 of 87 Old 01-09-2007, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbrick View Post

After owning this for the past year, I thought I would comment on this unit again.

As a first-time Home theatre purchase, I am overall satisfied with it. But about 6months into owning it, I started wishing it had some more power. The passive sub does decently, and most people should be happy with it, but the speakers and the sub will not chase anyone out of the room. For big events with a room full of people(like PPV fights), I end up having to crank all volume settings to the max to just barely hit the desired volume/bass levels. The unit could use more bass.

The sub is too loud for my brother's family, though in part this is due to the layout of their house, which is unusually "open." If everybody's listening to the DVD at the same time, it's OK, but if they're not... well, they're *still* all listening to the DVD, if you know what I mean.

Is there any hidden way to turn down the subwoofer? It seems to me (though again this might be due to the unusual acoustics of my brother's house) that when you turn up the volume high enough for dialogue, the bass and sound effects are way too booming, but turn it down to reduce the boom, and you can't hear much.

The remote's pretty awful, too. Every time I use it, I have to hunt around to relocate the "change DVD" button.

I'd say it's probably worth what I paid for it (i.e., "Free" when I bought my own HDTV set), but my brother's thinking about getting an HDTV set himself, and I've recommended that he get a different audio system then.

Is there any particular problem or awkwardness getting this unit to work *just* as a DVD player, with some other receiver?
post #78 of 87 Old 01-09-2007, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

There are no outputs on the system except to speakers. There is a way to adjust the sub volume. Read the manual. It's there.

I tried using a flash drive with an DIVX movie renamed to .mp3 and it sorta worked. I got some jerky video but that was probably because it was 25fps which works fine on DVD but maybe not USB.
post #79 of 87 Old 02-09-2007, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by telemike View Post

I tried using a flash drive with an DIVX movie renamed to .mp3 and it sorta worked. I got some jerky video but that was probably because it was 25fps which works fine on DVD but maybe not USB.

You have to keep the bitrate as low as possible when using the USBfor media files. I believe it is not a USB2 device so it has limited bandwith.
post #80 of 87 Old 04-04-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbrick View Post

The remote is a real pain. It often takes a minimum of two seperate button presses to get to a certain feature(like to change from TV control to Receiver control) or to hold down buttons for a certain amount of time before getting the desired effect (hold down FF for a few seconds to get DVDs to start fast forwarding instead of chapter skipping).

Good lord, is that how it works?!?!

I've been watching DVDs with my niece and nephew lately, and actually came to the conclusion ("when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth") that Samsung created a remote with every conceivable feature except fast forward!

Amazing.
post #81 of 87 Old 04-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconner View Post

I've been watching DVDs with my niece and nephew lately, and actually came to the conclusion ("when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth") that Samsung created a remote with every conceivable feature except fast forward!

Amazing.

I also happen to have a Samsung TV, and I use that remote exclusively. When set to DVD, the channel up and down skip chapters, and FF and RW do just that. The lack of easy FF and RW was a real bummer on those big gray remotes (they fixed the problem on the next years models, the Q ones with black long remotes).
post #82 of 87 Old 06-12-2007, 12:59 PM

Hello!

I have the same problem.

How can I engage the 5.1 digital optical input on a samsung? (HT-UP30)
I send from my computer 5.1 signal (6 real channels) but I can only recive the stereo + subwoofer
post #83 of 87 Old 06-13-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been having good success using a Flash Drive to play DIVX videos by renaming the files to .mp3. Sometimes it gets jerky but probably since USB is not fast enough for the data rate.
post #84 of 87 Old 06-13-2007, 11:02 PM

good pdsting.
post #85 of 87 Old 11-09-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:

Amazing.

It took me a little minute to figure out the fast-forward and fast-rewind feature. It's still crappy though, if you don't hold it down long enough it skips to the next chapter...shouldn't be that hard to invest in separate buttons.

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase, going on 2 1/2 years now...but I think it's dead. My DVDs no longer load and it doesn't make sense to pay to have it fixed ($160 flat fee). Shame, because everything else works fine.

During a move 18 months ago I stupidly forgot a couple dvd's in the tray and transported it upright. I occasionally encountered loading issues since...but now it flat out won't load any DVD. Anyone have any ideas on what may be wrong or how I can fix this myself?

Much appreciated.
post #86 of 87 Old 01-16-2008, 05:46 PM

My apologies if this has already been addressed in this forum. I have a new room that is pre-wired for rears. I received this Samsung HT-WP38 as a gift and would like to use it in the room. I'd like to avoid using the wireless antenna for the rears but am not sure if I can hard wire them. The back of the receiver has what appears to be outputs for the right and left rears. They are unmarked with plastic caps covering them directly underneath the right and left fronts. I'd like to splice the wires and run them directly from the back of the receiver to the speaker but the manual states that plugging the rears directly into the receiver may cause damage. But why else would they have the outputs....?

Has anyone tried this? Any insight?

Thanks in advance.
post #87 of 87 Old 11-03-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:

Just realized I never updated this thread with the answer I received elsewhere.

Turns out what you need to do to change the aspect ratio setting is operate the menus *without* having a DVD in the unit. Unless it's "empty," the aspect ratio settings are apparently greyed out.

I just wanted to thank you for this post- I had been tearing my hair out over this all day!
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page