Speaker mounts for HT-S790 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 06-26-2006, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the 790 for my soon to be finished basement with theatre. I am wondering what is the best way to mount the speakers. Onkyo's site lists nothing and the backs of the speakers are (atleast to these uneducated eyes) unhelpful in suggesting a good mount
I have found some generic mounts that appear to be strong enough to do the job but with no mounting place on the back I will have to screw the mount directly in to the back of the speakers (all 7 of them (using 2 mounts on the center channel to mount to the ceiling just in front of the screen housing.

Suggestions?

TIA

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-27-2006, 08:21 AM

Hey man! I'm in the same boat you are! I've been looking all over for speaker mounts for this system (stands seem to be too much money, for good ones at least) and have found a few; but still very pricey. Thing is I have to buy like at least 5 otherwise if I get speaker stands, I'll end up getting about 3 pairs which'll cost me @ least $150; which is why I don't wanna go that route--in the end, though, I might have to anyway.

" 'People think I'm insane 'cause I'm frowning all the time' "
--Ozzy
post #3 of 17 Old 06-27-2006, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

I just don't think stands are the answer for me. I have a 15 month old who will using the basement as a playroom and I don't need him getting hurt (or hurting the speakers).
My plan so far is to (with help from avsforum i hope) get wall mounts for the front,surround. and center channel, and ceiling mounts for the rear surround. I've just never bought speakers before and had assumed that the back of the speakers would have some obvious mounting mechanism to attach to mounts. The speakers on the HT-S790 have on some what looks like a nail hook and on others a hole.
I'm confused
post #4 of 17 Old 06-30-2006, 11:41 AM

I got these for the front: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OmniM...oductDetail.do

They seem to do a pretty good job and they are pretty sturdy. I just bought some industrial strength velcro to stick them to the top.

I have my center speaker on my ent. stand for my tv, and I have my rears hung on the back wall behind the sectional right now. I am on the look out for some pole speaker stands to mount the side surround speakers to.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-04-2006, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

The rear four surround speakers DO have keyhole hardware on the back.

You can easily buy similar hardware for the remaining three speakers and mount them up and away from your child.

Something like this may be helpful:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051826211769
Front Onkyo speakers weigh 8.5 lbs.

to each his own...
post #6 of 17 Old 07-06-2006, 07:26 AM

These are the speakers I am thinking about putting in my soon to be finished basement as well, and I am doing a corner setup, so I wanted to do very similar as you. all wall mounted and and 2 ceiling mounted in the rear. Possibly only do a 5.1 setup and ditch 2 of the speakers. Mounting Brackets are my primary concern right now. As is my budget =P
post #7 of 17 Old 07-06-2006, 08:02 AM

I just got this system as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the front and center speakers are ported in the back so shouldn't they be kept a fair distance from the wall?
post #8 of 17 Old 10-06-2006, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

What I ended up doing was using the keyholes to hang the surround speakers, similar brackets as slogun suggested for my rear surround speakers. The front speakers I used the same brackets but my contractor built a shelf for them to stand on as well as I just didn't feel comfortable with the speaker on the one brackets. The front speakers are large and unbalanced weight wise. So the shelf holds them and the bracket ensures they wont' fall off. The center channel is near the floor at the bottom of the screen on a similar shelf but no bracket. As soon as basement is all done I'll post pictures.

John
post #9 of 17 Old 10-09-2006, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorahl View Post

What I ended up doing was using the keyholes to hang the surround speakers, similar brackets as slogun suggested for my rear surround speakers. The front speakers I used the same brackets but my contractor built a shelf for them to stand on as well as I just didn't feel comfortable with the speaker on the one brackets. The front speakers are large and unbalanced weight wise. So the shelf holds them and the bracket ensures they wont' fall off. The center channel is near the floor at the bottom of the screen on a similar shelf but no bracket. As soon as basement is all done I'll post pictures.

John

I think the Center Channel Speaker's Tweeters should be placed at about the same height as the L/R front speaker's Tweeters otherwise it wouldnt sound right.
post #10 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel-mx View Post

I think the Center Channel Speaker's Tweeters should be placed at about the same height as the L/R front speaker's Tweeters otherwise it wouldnt sound right.

I can see the logic in that, but I believe in practice, it is a priority to mount the TV at eye level, with left/right front speakers at ear level and then center channel ends up either above or below the TV, well out of height line with the left/right fronts.
I'd be glad to hear the opinion of others on this topic.

to each his own...
post #11 of 17 Old 10-10-2006, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by slogun View Post

I can see the logic in that, but I believe in practice, it is a priority to mount the TV at eye level, with left/right front speakers at ear level and then center channel ends up either above or below the TV, well out of height line with the left/right fronts.
I'd be glad to hear the opinion of others on this topic.

In an ideal situation you want to keep all the speakers the same level including the center. This is rarely possible in most setups so just get as close as you can and to compensate you can tilt the center up or down (if possible) toward the listening position.
post #12 of 17 Old 10-26-2006, 03:23 PM

I have an Onkyo HT-S780 system, which has speakers the same size as your 790 system, in a fair size living room and I used some Atlantic speaker stands--the type that allows for CD and DVD storage. What I liked about them was that they are somewhat adjustable for height--the adjustment comes from how many of the "sections" you use. For the RF and LF I used 3 sections--I screwed the speakers in a vertical orientation to the top of the stands and that allowed me to "frame" the monitor perfectly. The top of RF and LF speakers were level with the top of the monitor and the center speaker sits on the monitor. Sound localization is excellent with this orientation. In order to balance them and avoid the stand tipping forward I had to modify the manner in which the speaker wire exited the wire tube on the back of the speaker stand so that I could screw the speaker to the top plate on the stands with the speaker balanced in a manner that would keep it from tipping forward. Having said that, they are still pretty tippy and if I had a small child in the house I would not be comfortable with them from a safety standpoint.

One thing I might mention is the difference in clarity and imaging that resulted from getting the LF and RF speakers off the entertainment stand. At first I just sat the speakers on the glass shelf the TV sat on, but they seemed muted to me. Once I got them off that shelf the sound improved dramatically--it was like a pillow had been moved from in front of the speakers. I have no explanation for this phenomenon, but I am not the only one who noticed it.

All in all I had to buy 3 pairs of stands at $50/pair at the local Fry Electronics store. It was a bit pricey, but I stand mounted the side surround and rear surround speakers b/c my listening position is somewhat offset from the center of the back wall and that way I can move the right side surround speaker closer to the listening position. That made the system much easier to calibrate and once I equalized the distance between the LP and the side/rear surround speakers the spatial imaging is superb. When I'm done watching a DVD/listening to music, I just move the speaker back against the side wall and the domestic goddess is happy. Life is good!

Doug

YD,E./PNB

I took a speed-reading course and read "War and Peace" in twenty minutes. It involves Russia.

Woody Allen (1935 - )
post #13 of 17 Old 01-11-2007, 07:00 PM

About the center channel - Use a doorstop underneath on each side of the speaker to get it firing to ear level. This works on top or lower down.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-11-2007, 08:08 PM

Another thread like this... some people are just to lazy or dumb to search for stuff. Seems like no admins are watching this... or at least make a sticky with what are the best stands out there, and end this madness.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-17-2007, 03:18 PM

The center speaker can be mounted up to two feet higher than the front left and right speakers. However, all three should be the same distance from your sitting position.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-22-2007, 09:07 PM

Here's how I solved the issue of mounting the 3 front speakers on the wall:

For the right and left speakers, I used VLB 200 speaker mounts from Vogel's (http://www.vogels.com/detail.asp?ISSAID=270). For the center speaker, I built a small shelf with a 17"x8" pieace of melamine and used 2 5" angle brackets to mount to the wall. All hardware is fixed in the drywall using screw-in anchors.

Since I am using a front projector that is projecting high up the wall, I have mounted the speakers high up also (see pictures).

post #17 of 17 Old 06-22-2007, 08:23 AM

Hi Mugsy1:

Where did you buy the speaker brackets VLB 200 from? I went to the Vogel's website and it lists Ace Hardware as on eof th esuppliers; but I couldn't find them at Ace. Also tried to find online; but only a coupl eof british websites seem to be carrying them.

Thanx,

Bhushan
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page