Onkyo HT-S990THX - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 274 Old 08-18-2009, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This system sounds amazing. Hook up was a breeze, all the wires color coded, but toting the 143lbs package from store to car, and car to inside home was a challenge. Speaking of wires, the ones supplied really do need to be changed. They are very thin (21 awg). But for $1K, a pre-complied system out of the box....this is a great sounding system. The amp in the 990THX is better than that of the 9100THX. However, there is a point when increasing volume on the reciever past -13 db the loudness is no longer percieved. And the lack of HDMI is a bummer. However, popping in the THX Demo Disc II supplied shows off what a great speaker/ reciever package this is. A reciever upgrade in the future will cure the hdmi and HD audio formats deficiency.

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 274 Old 03-21-2010, 07:46 PM

I have recently got my hands on a used HT-S990THX system, picked it up for 200$ in craigslist . Speakers are not in the best condition, center left has tweeter cone damage and enclosure damage. Right now i am just using the system as a 2.1 with the surrounds connected to fronts (surrounds look to be in the best condition and also i noticed that the surrounds had a bigger woofer than the fronts). So any good replacement fronts suggestions for this receiver ?
The main application for me is to use the receiver as a headphone amp and listen to 96khz PCM FLAC from my PC S/PDIF out. I havent purchased the cans yet ( i left my HD595s with my sister and am planning to move to a HD 650). So i thought that ill just get a good pair of front speakers in the meantime and use it as a 2.1 setup for my computer ( fronts on both sides of the PC monitor 2/3 feet from me ). I was looking for small bookshelf speakers or passive studio monitors. So far i have looked at the following options

1. Behringer B2030P or 2031P
2. KRK R6 Passivs
3. Polk monitor 30
4. polk 105s
5. Infinity 152s
6. Klipsch b3s

(linearity and coloring is not an issue for me, but near field performance is . . as i am sitting very close to the speakers, )

I was looking for under 200$ per pair . . . dont wanna spend more cause i know the senns are gonna cost me around 400 soo . .kinda on a budget

Thanks
post #273 of 274 Old 03-21-2010, 09:24 PM

bump . . . and am i in the wrong area ?

Should this be in the speaker section ?
post #274 of 274 Old 03-21-2010, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)