Onkyo 790 questions. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2006, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey I am getting a Optoma H27 next week or the following and found a great deal on the 790 so I am going to get it when I get the money. I am also going to purchase a Oppo dvd players and want to use the DVI input but dont know how to use the 790 for the sound. Would I use the composite audio from the oppo dvd player?

Thanks in advanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2006, 08:30 PM

I don't have any experience with that specific dvd player, but 99% of dvd players have either a coaxial or optical output for sound, if not both. Either of those would work great.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh,lol,never thought of that. Thanks a lot man,much appreciated.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:31 AM

I'll save you some trouble of lugging around 100lbs of heaviest piece of crap you've ever carried to AND from the store. DO NOT BUY.

Clarity is good at first until you know better. When watching movies, you'll have to crank up the center channell to hear the dialogue well. This will eventually tell you that what you have spent 400-500 dollars on are just cheap speakers.

Read my other thread about attention all onkyo s790 owners.
Maybe these HTiB bashers are right after all. They suck
Old 07-13-2006, 01:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
The receiver in the 790 system is fine. Its the speakers that suck. You could buy the 504 receiver separately at shoponkyo.com or accessoriesforless.com for roughly $210-220 then buy speakers elsewhere.

Afro GT
Old 07-13-2006, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjebussx View Post

Clarity is good at first until you know better. When watching movies, you'll have to crank up the center channell to hear the dialogue well. This will eventually tell you that what you have spent 400-500 dollars on are just cheap speakers.

Read my other thread about attention all onkyo s790 owners.
Maybe these HTiB bashers are right after all. They suck

too many people (myself included) made the mistake of dropping $500 on these HTIB's, only to be buying new speakers 2 months later when they realize that these speakers really are junk. there are better solutions out there for about the same amount of $$...it just requires a bit more research/effort.

the onkyo receiver is fine...just buy your speakers/sub from a manufacturer whose products can survive on their own merits in the market.

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
Old 07-13-2006, 10:03 AM

I echo what xjebussx said. If you look a few posts below at my post 'Replacement for HTIB???' and you'll see what I am switching to. Like everyone else has said, the receiver with this system is fine, but the speakers are junk. If you listen to the dialog in a movie on the center channel, everything is muddy and ugly sounding. At first everything is great because it is 100x's better than any stock tv speakers, but you'll quickly become dissapointed with the system after a week or two of use.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know,I want to do a piece by piece system but money is really a problem now. I think I might get a 200-250 dollar reciever and a 2.0 or 2.1 system to start.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I want to spend 300 to 400 max if I have to on a reciever and a 2.1 or 2.0 system. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:59 AM

G-Star, and others

It's evident that I now have joined you guys in disliking HTIBS with a passion. Mine coming from real personal experience. My story is I got this s790 for about $375 shipped after rebate. And I hate it! But it's a pretty darn cheap price. Do you know if I can get a better bang for my buck by going component route? It's gonna run expensive and thats the only reason I'm considering keeping the system. I'm still lucky in that I still have about 2 weeks to undo my mistake and return the system. For better SQ I can fork over another hundred about. Would this work?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-13-2006, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
xjebussx-

in all honesty, it would be tough to get 5 decent speakers, a sub, and a decent receiver for $475. it sounds like you really dislike the sound of the onkyo speakers. if i were you, i'd return it, get a refurbished onkyo 503 receiver for about $190 from shoponkyo, and spend the rest of your money ($285) on a pair of good bookshelf speakers and a good entry level sub. it will only be a 2.1 system for now, but you can add a center speaker and then another pair of surrounds as your budget allows -- this will only cost you about another $250. this requires patience, though.

your other option is do what i did. i started selling off the 780 in pieces via craigslist/ebay, and made made most of the money i spent on new speakers back. in fact, i ended up getting more for that HTIB than i originally spent on it. this required me to buy my new speakers up front, then pay off the CC as i sold the onkyo pieces. not an ideal situation, but it worked out in the end.

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
Old 07-21-2006, 10:37 PM

I just got my 790. I have a small room (probably about 12'x12') with a 42'' plasma and I love this system. No its not the audiophile's dream come true but for a small room this system is really great. 7.1 for under $400 can't be beat. The speakers aren't broken in yet but so far they seem more than I was expecting for such little money. I have the system set up with 12 gauge speaker wire. It has 1 coax digital audio input and 3 optical and also video/audio sync.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:11 PM

Hey I just got a refurbished 790 and I used 16 gauge radio shack brand speaker wire. The wire is going a max of 25 feet. When I turn the system up to about 60 I start to hear hissing. When I get to max the hissing is really bad. Is this normal? I am going to be really pissed if I have to send it back.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
are you playing anything when the receiver is turned up to 60? I would think that's pretty loud.

Afro GT
Old 01-21-2007, 08:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Yeah, 60 starts to shake the walls on my place.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 05-03-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-star View Post

too many people (myself included) made the mistake of dropping $500 on these HTIB's, only to be buying new speakers 2 months later when they realize that these speakers really are junk. there are better solutions out there for about the same amount of $$...it just requires a bit more research/effort.

the onkyo receiver is fine...just buy your speakers/sub from a manufacturer whose products can survive on their own merits in the market.

I have the 790 and swear by it. Onkyo makes great products at good prices. They don't sell a ton of HTIB'S for nothing.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniKoroshi View Post

I just got my 790. I have a small room (probably about 12'x12') with a 42'' plasma and I love this system. No its not the audiophile's dream come true but for a small room this system is really great. 7.1 for under $400 can't be beat. The speakers aren't broken in yet but so far they seem more than I was expecting for such little money. I have the system set up with 12 gauge speaker wire. It has 1 coax digital audio input and 3 optical and also video/audio sync.

You are correct sir. For the price and really for anything under $1000.00 the 790 rules. Happy listening.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I feel like I've just saw my in-laws pull in the driveway.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

ROTFLMAO. No one could have said it any better.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:54 PM

I don't follow the htib bashing. I have heard some htib systems that sound really great to the average person. Take the Onkyo 790 for example. It really rocks.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-star View Post

and am very happy with it. What G-Star needs to understand is that a lot of people like the HTIB concept and the 790 is built very well (including the speakers) and will satisfy 90% of the people. $300.00 is a lot of money to a lot of people and they don't all have $1000.00 or more to spend on a system that will only sound approx. 10-15% better at the most. I'll just bet G-Star voted for Bush both times.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

They did and they brought a suitcase. Looks like they plan on staying awhile...