HT-DDW900...something odd - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-09-2006, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
sonys HT-DDW900 isnt technically a HTIB, since it has no dvd player, but is a nicely priced reciever and speaker set (900 watts) with dual hdmi inputs and one hdmi out. this is an excerpt i read from a customer review at CC.

It has 2 HDMI inputs, 2 component inputs and 3 composite inputs. The only inconvenience is that you need to use a optical cable for sound when you are using the HDMI input in the reciever, cause the system will only deliver video to your TV.

now tell me if im wrong here. If the reciever does not output digital sound to the 5 channels through the hdmi input while passing the video to your set from the one output, what in the blue hell is the purpose of having hdmi inputs and output on the reciever? is this just the particular model or are all hdmi recievers built this way?

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-10-2006, 04:04 AM

Liked: 10
In the manual for this system it says that these HDMI connectors are only for passthrough signal. But even that doesn't make any sense cause it should deliver sound signal anyway.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-10-2006, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thats what i said. im thinking the sound would be dispersed among the channels while passing the video to the panel. seems like they put a hdmi splitter on the back of a reciever. or maybe the guy in the excerpt is trying to get the sound from the panel back to the reciever. this makes no sense at all. is this the same for other recievers with hdmi input?
post #4 of 12 Old 11-12-2006, 11:21 AM

Can anyone that has this shed some light on this ? Im looking into this unit since its in my budget with the hdmi inputs.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Its true, the hdmi on the receiver is only used to passthrough video signals. The receiver does not decode or ouput audio from the HDMI inputs. You get what you pay for I guess.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-12-2006, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

well on a good note, it does serve as a hdmi splitter, if you only have one hdmi input. what a total waste of time to put out an hdmi reciever that doesent pass digital audio through hdmi. i think this is a breakthrough in the science of stupidity. on the other hand, its sony.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-24-2006, 09:35 AM
2jz

Think of it as a cheap all-in-one package for a receiver, 5.1 surround speakers, and a HDMI splitter. The Sony STR-DG800 is another receiver in their line that just offers HDMI switching. You really do get what you pay for.

The Onyko TX-SR674 entry level recevier is a nice step up for analog (Composite, S-Vid, and Component) to digital upconversion through HDMI.

And just because it doesn't have a DVD player doesn't mean it's not "technically" a HTIB.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-22-2007, 03:51 PM

So I am looking at this system too since I only need 2 input HDMI and I was wondering what is the downside of the individual audio cables. I could buy a 5HDMI switch for 100bucks but then have to get a comparable HTIB for 200.

Thoughts?
post #9 of 12 Old 01-22-2007, 04:46 PM

Liked: 11
No real downside, just an extra $4 or so each for the cables from monoprice.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-22-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd View Post

well on a good note, it does serve as a hdmi splitter, if you only have one hdmi input.

Don"t they make HDMI splitters/switchers? And wouldn't these switchers output video AND audio from the HDMI input?

I also read user reviews on Cnet that the Onyko TX-SR674 "HDMI passthru does not work as advertised"

The more I read the more I become confused about these hi-tech audio components. Y'all say "You really do get what you pay for" but it appears even when you pay out some bucks for an A/V receiver such as the Onyko TX-SR674 users are still disappointed.

Right now CC has the Onkyo HT-S590S on sale for $249 and posted elsewhere in this forum is a $40 off coupon. True, the HT-S590S doesn't have HDMI switching or upconversion of Composite, S-Vid, and Component to digital upconversion through HDMI, but seriously, do I really need that? Sounds like nice features but is it worth several hundred dollars extra to buy a receiver that does this? (and then user reviews say it doesn't work as advertised).

Here's the real question:
If I connect an Upconverting DVD player directly to my HDTV via HDMI, and then run a digital audio cable from the DVD's audio out to the digital audio input on the HT-S590S, wouldn't this be the same as running the HDMI cable through the Onyko TX-SR674 that does HDMI switching and then running an audio cable to the TX-SR674 from the DVD player?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if the TX-SR674 receiver does not output digital sound to the 5 channels through the hdmi input while passing the video to your set from the one HDMI output, there would be no difference in Audio quality or Video quality between the TX-SR674 and HT-S590S receivers if both had the same 5.1 speaker system attached to them, correct? And actually this would be true of any receiver that has HDMI that's used to passthrough video signals only, correct?
post #11 of 12 Old 01-22-2007, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetRoe View Post

Don"t they make HDMI splitters/switchers? And wouldn't these switchers output video AND audio from the HDMI input?

I also read user reviews on Cnet that the Onyko TX-SR674 "HDMI passthru does not work as advertised"

The more I read the more I become confused about these hi-tech audio components. Y'all say "You really do get what you pay for" but it appears even when you pay out some bucks for an A/V receiver such as the Onyko TX-SR674 users are still disappointed.

Right now CC has the Onkyo HT-S590S on sale for $249 and posted elsewhere in this forum is a $40 off coupon. True, the HT-S590S doesn't have HDMI switching or upconversion of Composite, S-Vid, and Component to digital upconversion through HDMI, but seriously, do I really need that? Sounds like nice features but is it worth several hundred dollars extra to buy a receiver that does this? (and then user reviews say it doesn't work as advertised).

Here's the real question:
If I connect an Upconverting DVD player directly to my HDTV via HDMI, and then run a digital audio cable from the DVD's audio out to the digital audio input on the HT-S590S, wouldn't this be the same as running the HDMI cable through the Onyko TX-SR674 that does HDMI switching and then running an audio cable to the TX-SR674 from the DVD player?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if the TX-SR674 receiver does not output digital sound to the 5 channels through the hdmi input while passing the video to your set from the one HDMI output, there would be no difference in Audio quality or Video quality between the TX-SR674 and HT-S590S receivers if both had the same 5.1 speaker system attached to them, correct? And actually this would be true of any receiver that has HDMI that's used to passthrough video signals only, correct?

"Don"t they make HDMI splitters/switchers? And wouldn't these switchers output video AND audio from the HDMI input?"

Depends on the switcher, some just pass video, some will pass audio and some of the ones that do both can get quite expensive.

"it appears even when you pay out some bucks for an A/V receiver such as the Onyko TX-SR674 users are still disappointed."

Problems with HDMI and the 674 are handshaking issues bewtween some components, mostly cable boxes "motorola" and dvd players "samsung" their are many others but these seem to cause the most problems. It depends on the component and if it has issues when passing HDMI thru the receiver to the tv, some receiver/componet combinations work fine some don't. You can read through various HDMI thread for more info and the 674 also has a thread in the receiver forum, but the 674 is by no means the only receiver that has problems with other hdmi components, their are many. HDMI is still fairly new and they are still working out the buggs. Also problems you read are just that, problems. Their are many more receivers sold than the ones you read about in these forums and the ones with no issues, you rarely if ever hear from. Nobody calls customer service and says, "hey, I just wanted to thank you, everything is fine", same with post here.

"True, the HT-S590S doesn't have HDMI switching or upconversion of Composite, S-Vid, and Component to digital upconversion through HDMI, but seriously, do I really need that? Sounds like nice features but is it worth several hundred dollars extra to buy a receiver that does this? (and then user reviews say it doesn't work as advertised)."

If you don't have an HDMI video source or don't mind running HDMI straight to the TV and audio through the receiver "NO", otherwise it's your choice.

"Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if the TX-SR674 receiver does not output digital sound to the 5 channels through the hdmi input while passing the video to your set from the one HDMI output, there would be no difference in Audio quality or Video quality between the TX-SR674 and HT-S590S receivers if both had the same 5.1 speaker system attached to them, correct?"

The 674 does pass though audio as well as video through HDMI, but it's not going to be any better quality than the audio source. If you were passing through LCPM 5.1 audio then yes the quality would be better due to less compression of the format, but could your ears detect the difference, debatable. However sound quality will probably be better with any audio due to the fact the 674 has the audessy eq feature for leveling room response with your speakers. Is that worth the difference in price, again debatable, to some is is, to some it isn't.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-24-2007, 09:31 AM

Hello. I was just rooting around for answers to a question on this topic, any information you can share is appreciated. I have the Sony HT-DDW900 while I do like it, especially for the price, I'm having an issue.

My inputs and outputs are below:
- hdmi video from a dvd player with digital coax audio,
- hdmi video from my HD direct tv box with optical audio,
- component video from xbox360 with optical audio
- hdmi output into one of 2 hdmi inputs on my TV.
- component video into tv
Phew. The pain i am having is I have to share (switch them in and out) one of the two optical inputs for "video 2" for both my direct tv and my 360. The other input's video can't come from hdmi or component. I have tried a couple of different configurations to no avail. Anyone have any similar experience? Other information sources to try?

Thanks!

This is not the signature you are looking for.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page