Bose 3-2-1 System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 61 Old 11-29-2006, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey,

My dad is wanting to get a bose 3-2-1 system because of the virtual surround sound and not having to run wires around/across our living room. So i was wondering if any of you out there have it. If so how does it compare to a full 5.1/6.1 system

Pioneer = Sound.Vision.Soul
Klipsch = Power.Detail.Emotion
Harmony = Pioneer Elite + Klipsch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 11-29-2006, 07:28 PM

Liked: 10
The only advice I can give you is to stay far, far away from Bose, they overprice thier products in addition to the speakers sounding like absolute crap, again just stay away.
post #3 of 61 Old 11-29-2006, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Overpriced absolutely agree, but there speakers sounding like crap? what do you mean? Music/move how do they sound bad?

post #4 of 61 Old 11-30-2006, 12:43 AM

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

There are some errors there and some skewed info, but he hits on just about every reason that the majority of avs users say to avoid Bose.

They don't sound horrible, but typically systems from other manufacturers can produce more pleasing sound for a much more affordable price.
post #5 of 61 Old 11-30-2006, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Ohh goody,, I just love the mindless Bose bashing !!!!!!!!!!

So much b.s. !!!!!!!!!

Now, for a real answer to the thread question.

The Bose 321 can be a great system givin the right set-up and in used in the right room.

I have owned several Bose 321's and have been very happy with them and in the right room they can really sound great and do a fairly convincing job of creating a surround sound effect,,,,, not true 5.1 ,,,, but very close.

And if you ever have a problem, Bose customer service is the very best.

Are Bose overpriced, yes and no, thats a gray area in my opinion.

Very user friendly, easy set-up, no wires all over the place and great sound (sorry Bose bashers) make the 321 a pretty cool unit.
On a side note, do keep in mind that most and I do mean MOST of the Bose bashers have never owned a Bose or tried one out or givin it a chance.

I have owned and tried out many fake surround systems, is the 321 the best out of all the ones I have tried out, No, the best would be the Yamaha YSP800, second best would be the 321.

Davyo
post #6 of 61 Old 11-30-2006, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Finally a real answer to my question, thank you very much, i will pass the info along to him.

Anybody else try this out?

Oh, yes i watched batman begins on it at BB for about 5 minutes and it sounded good, but i didn't watch it long enough to notice the "5.1" so thats why i ask for the comparison
thanks again

post #7 of 61 Old 11-30-2006, 08:43 AM

The thing about this, and other, Bose systems is that they cost so darn friggin' much.

Oddly enough, the sales guy wasn't even trying to sell me on the sound, he was trying to get me to bite on the *lifestyle* and *convenience* of their systems.

I must say, those teenie/unobtrusive speakers do leave me wanting to test this system out.

But, again, for over a grand...just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
post #8 of 61 Old 11-30-2006, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaksavior View Post

Finally a real answer to my question, thank you very much, i will pass the info along to him.

Oh, yes i watched batman begins on it at BB for about 5 minutes and it sounded good, but i didn't watch it long enough to notice the "5.1" so thats why i ask for the comparison
thanks again

You are welcome.

And also, I would suggest a few things.

1: If you have a Bose store in your area go there and try to purchase a re-furbished one,, you will save at least a hunderd bucks.

2: Give it a good run thru and see if it works for your room and the room shape ( you can always return it if it does not), sometimes just moving the speakers just a little in or out of your listening postion will make a big difference.

3: Keep your receipt, dont loose it.

The 321 does not work in every single room you can put it in (as all fake surround systems dont either), the only way your going to know is buy taking it home and playing with it, while they do sound cool in the store sometimes that is not the case when you hook them up at home,, but then again sometimes that IS the case when ya get em hooked up at home.

On a personal note to all the Bose bashers.
I must admit it gets a little sad to see people try to offer opinions on something they have never owned or had any hands on experience with.
In all the years I have been a forum member on AVS I make it a rule for myself to never pass judgement on any A/V gear that I do not have personal hands-on, real world, experience with.
This "Bose sucks", and "Dont buy Bose stuff" is really un-fair.
In most rooms (not all), the 321 can really rock and sound great and be well worth the price.

Davyo
post #9 of 61 Old 11-30-2006, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome thank you, i believe that complete answer my question.
Again thank you all for the help

post #10 of 61 Old 12-01-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Governator View Post

The only advice I can give you is to stay far, far away from Bose, they overprice thier products in addition to the speakers sounding like absolute crap, again just stay away.

I can't speak for all Bose systems, but the speakers on the 3-2-1 GS II system that I own do not sound like crap. They sound very good when playing stereo music. The fidelity is pretty good from a small speaker, though not great. The speakers do a decent job of staying as neutral as a small speaker can, given the nature of the beast.

There is no doubt about it that small speakers, like the ones that Bose produces, will always sound a bit bright, with more treble then midrange. And since Bose is a proprietary system, there is no way to correct this using separates. Still though if you have small bedroom, like where my system is installed, the Bos 3-2-1 system is very well suited.

Music will sound better then Digital sound through a DVD or or other video source, simply because the bright tones that the speakers output will pick up the instruments and beats in the music far better than will a movie soundtrack.

As for being overpriced, I guess that depends on what you consider overpriced. I mean to me Paradigm is overpriced, considering that the average listener in a blind/blind test could not tell the difference between Paradigm studio's and Def tech pro 1000's.
post #11 of 61 Old 12-01-2006, 04:22 PM

I've A/B'd the Bose 3.2.1 (series I & II) against many other 2.1 systems. After each test it's clear, to me at least, that the Bose 3.2.1 is the best overall system. I have yet to find a 2.1 HTIB that can do everything as well as the Bose. For example, the Sony DAV-X1 provides a superior DVD PQ and does a better job with DVD soundtracks, however the Sony falls way short in audio quality with non-Dolby TV stations, CD, and radio. The Bose provides a full, rich, pleasing sound regardless of the audio input source.

OBTW, not all reviews about the Bose 3.2.1 are negative. CNET's review stated,

Quote:

The Bose 3-2-1 Series II DVD system does a surprisingly good surround-sound imitation with just two satellites

and ...

Quote:

Although many two-speaker surround-sound simulations fail to provide any semblance of rear-channel audio, we were surprised by the Bose 3-2-1 Series II's broad, expansive sound field. Surround-channel sonic elements certainly weren't as localized as they would have been with an actual 5.1-channel speaker setup, but we experienced a few moments when sounds, such as effects in the Requiem for a Dream DVD, almost could have fooled us into thinking rear speakers were in play.

and ...

Quote:

With the system connected to our HDTV's component-video input, DVD video looked good. Discs consistently played without any snags.

Personally, I have been very pleased with the performance and reliability of my Bose 3.2.1. My first Bose 3.2.1 Series I performed flawlessly for over 5 years, and my newest Bose 3.2.1 Series II has also been a champ. Also Bose customer service is among the best in the industry; when firmware updates are released Bose mails them to you and their technical assistance reps are knowledgeable and very willing to provide any help that you may need. Bose customer service doesn't care how long you've owned your Bose, they will always provide technical assistance ... many other electronics manufactures refuse to provide assistance after the warranty period or charge you for the service.

IMHO, too many people knock Bose without giving them an objective assessment; I have found the Bose to be a great 2.1 system.
post #12 of 61 Old 12-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

For the price you pay for the 3-2-1 system you could have a much better setup. To me, the Bose do sound horrible in their price range. If the 3-2-1 system was in a lower price range, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. The truth is you are not going to find many people who bash what they have spent their hard earned money on. The following example is about $400 less and will provide a much larger sound stage with more detail and bass will extend much lower.

Example:
2 Mirage Omnisats $158
Velodyne VX10 $199
DVD Player $100
Pioneer VSX516 $156
Total = $613
post #13 of 61 Old 12-02-2006, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virus View Post

For the price you pay for the 3-2-1 system you could have a much better setup. To me, the Bose do sound horrible in their price range. If the 3-2-1 system was in a lower price range, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. The truth is you are not going to find many people who bash what they have spent their hard earned money on. The following example is about $400 less and will provide a much larger sound stage with more detail and bass will extend much lower.

Example:
2 Mirage Omnisats $158
Velodyne VX10 $199
DVD Player $100
Pioneer VSX516 $156
Total = $613

Well, I spent MY hard earned money on a few 321's, I also spent my hard earned money on a Yamaha YSP-800 and a Dennon 101, and I have spent my money on lots of different systems 2.1 and 5.1, Yamaha, Sony and Onkyo just to name a few of the many systems I have owned.
With that being said I have no problem at all saying the 321 does not sound horrible, they sound really really good as a matter of fact,,, but then again,, what do I know,, I've only owned them and had them in my house and used them.
As far as the items you listed being $400.00 cheaper than a 321 you might wish to re-do your math.
A new 321 is sold for 899.00 a re-furbished one at any Bose store can be had for 699.00 to 799.00,,, meaning the difference would be $286.00 at the most to $86.00 at the least.
But then again,, Bose bashers do tend to exagerate everything from price to poor sound quality.
All while never personaly owning any Bose products to base a real opinion on.

Davyo
post #14 of 61 Old 12-02-2006, 11:48 PM

I appreciate your experience with the 321. Basically I have narrowed down my search to ysp-800, bose 321 and FullStageHD. I know you have said in previous posts that 321 and ysp sound better or vice versa in different applications. Id love to hear your pro's/con's on the ysp and bose 321. I think It most likey will come down to me buying each at trying it in my living room as it isnt a true square or rectangular room. The family room is open to the kitchen/dining room area in the back minus a half wall(open to the ceiling) that partially splits the room. The right wall (as if you were facing the tv) has 2 windows which is divided by a fireplace. The left wall also sports a half wall which on the other side is the stairs to the basement. A full wall is 4 feet or so beyond this wall. The tv is nearly centered between the right wall and the left "half wall". Any information is greatly apprecited.

Jason
post #15 of 61 Old 12-03-2006, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraskarrt View Post

I appreciate your experience with the 321. Basically I have narrowed down my search to ysp-800, bose 321 and FullStageHD. I know you have said in previous posts that 321 and ysp sound better or vice versa in different applications. Id love to hear your pro's/con's on the ysp and bose 321. I think It most likey will come down to me buying each at trying it in my living room as it isnt a true square or rectangular room. The family room is open to the kitchen/dining room area in the back minus a half wall(open to the ceiling) that partially splits the room. The right wall (as if you were facing the tv) has 2 windows which is divided by a fireplace. The left wall also sports a half wall which on the other side is the stairs to the basement. A full wall is 4 feet or so beyond this wall. The tv is nearly centered between the right wall and the left "half wall". Any information is greatly apprecited.

Jason

The Fullstage I have never owned so I cant comment on that.
As far as the YSP800 vs the 321, I would have to say the YSP800 is my favorite, in the right room the YSP is off the hook, insain great and can and does rival any 5.1 system,,, in the right room that is.
I returned my YSP as my room was to open for it to work as well as it can.
The YSP seems to need more reflective walls than the 321 does, in a more wide open room the 321 seems to do better than the YSP.
I think the reason for that would be the 321 speakers are further apart with more seperation than the YSP so ya have little more room in speaker placement with the 321,,,,,, hope that makes sense.
My advice or 2 cents for what its worth and givin the room you have described, I would get the YSP and try it out and do the same with the 321.
Bottom line,,, when I was at CES and visited the Yamaha both and heard the YSP-800 demo set up I was speachless, the 5.1 sound coming from the YSP was jawdropping great, too bad it has to be in just the right room to sound so great.
If I had a square room with walls on each side and a back wall I would be owning a YSP and would never miss a 5.1 system ever ever ever.
If ya cant tell I really love the YSP,,,,, second choice would be the 321,,, both great units given the right room set up.

Davyo
post #16 of 61 Old 12-03-2006, 02:03 AM

Thank you very much for you info. When I was at best buy I listened to the "demo station" of the ysp and 321. If I had to go purely on sound as I stood a few feet away, the 321 really got me. The YSP was very close, but it didnt have a sub mated with it to give that complete sound that the 321 with its sub. So you think given my rough room description that the YSP would work? Any advantage of getting the YSP-1000 or 1100..or even the YSP-1 for that matter over the 800? The YSP-1 can be had at roughly the same price it seems as the 800. Any comments on the sub that is made to "go with" the ysp-800?

Thanks again,

Jason
post #17 of 61 Old 12-03-2006, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Just because I have a different opinion than yours automatically classifies me as a "Bose Basher". The Mirage Omnisat speakers normally retail for $250 a piece, Vanns has them at an astounding $79. I have heard the Bose 321's next to a similarly Mirage setup ( I persuaded the sales rep to do this as we all know Bose frowns upon A/B comparisons) as I listed, with the exception of the Pioneer receiver. The Mirage/Velodyne setup was remarkably better at reproducing both highs and lows and a much lower pricepoint. Everyone has their own point of view. If you search for my postings, you will see that this is the first Bose discussion that I've partipated in and for good reason. I know what I'm talking about, I own a $5000 Mirage setup and $399 Mirage setup. Have you? Just because you own one particular setup doesn't mean you are an expert. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I believe it is our duty hear to give recommendations to others to give them a choice of what they can get for their dollar. I don't think anyone can honestly say that Bose makes good price/performance products. Not to mention the many links here that prove through scientific testing that they are inferior products within any pricepoint. You are also comparing refurbished products to new products and the Bose were still considerably higher. The only caveat in Bose's corner is the extra easy compact setup of the integrated DVD/Receiver combo. Let's not digress to name calling. I won't call you a Bose Zealot if you don't call others Bose Bashers. Let's be adults and help others to make wise decisions.
post #18 of 61 Old 12-03-2006, 05:37 PM

I have a Bose 321 system (first version). The convenience of the wiring is great, and it does sound great. It does occassionally give you a surround sound effect, but not all the time. The major gripe I have is the DVD player. It's very particular about what it will play. Homemade DVD's may not always work, and it doesn't play CD's with photos on it. I don't know about the newer 321 systems. I also don't think the DVD player is progressive scan or upscaling.

A friend has a YSP and it sounds absolutely incredible. However, he has it in a rectangular room, and has it placed on the long wall. If you put it in the corner like I need to, it limits some of the modes you can use. I was researching it as I am considering moving my 321 to the bedroom and getting something that will complement my Samsung 50" DLP a bit better.
post #19 of 61 Old 12-03-2006, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
no highs, no lows, must be Bose. I couldnt imagine a worse purchase in their price range. A monkey could walk into any audio shop and blindly purchase 6 speakers and come out with superior sound and lower price.
post #20 of 61 Old 12-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

The Mirage are fantastic with hard rooms because of their omni directional dispersement.
post #21 of 61 Old 12-04-2006, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Freaksavior,

Make sure you pick up a full set of Monster Cables with those Bose.

Jon
post #22 of 61 Old 12-04-2006, 02:48 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^
Lol...
Knowing how huge of a difference there is between one digital cable and another, that made me laugh. {In case you couldn't tell, I'm being sarcastic}.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaksavior View Post

thanks again

Just compare it with a higher quality setup of a similar price. Not an HTIB, but a decent 5.1 setup. AKA Speakers from Althena, Polk, etc..., an SVS subwoofer, and an Onkyo reciever.

The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
shorter of breath and one day closer to death.
post #23 of 61 Old 12-04-2006, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

no highs, no lows, must be Bose. I couldnt imagine a worse purchase in their price range. A monkey could walk into any audio shop and blindly purchase 6 speakers and come out with superior sound and lower price.

I think the phrase Bose bashers use is,,, no highs, no lows, must be "Blows",,,,,,if your guna Bose bash at least use the right phrasing.

Davyo
post #24 of 61 Old 12-05-2006, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

I think the phrase Bose bashers use is,,, no highs, no lows, must be "Blows",,,,,,if your guna Bose bash at least use the right phrasing.

Davyo

funny....i thought it was "blose"

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
post #25 of 61 Old 12-05-2006, 10:10 AM

Hi......I've owned a Series II 321 system a couple of months now...very pleased. Easy to set up,..easy to use,..great [yes, great] sound. This forum almost had me convinced after my initial purchase that maybe I had made a mistake [getting the 321]..............took it back,...checked out other 2.1 systems at 3 stores......came back home with the 321......a very nice system.

Steve
post #26 of 61 Old 12-05-2006, 05:56 PM

I've had a chance to audition that system. Its actually not to bad especially if your one of the 95% of music listeners (those not on this forum). Of course thats highly subjective so if your used to a 10k pair of fronts (or more ) its not gonna sound good.

IMHO they're so over priced you have to consider the placebo effect.
post #27 of 61 Old 12-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezumas_viper View Post

I've had a chance to audition that system. Its actually not to bad especially if your one of the 95% of music listeners (those not on this forum). Of course thats highly subjective so if your used to a 10k pair of fronts (or more ) its not gonna sound good.

IMHO they're so over priced you have to consider the placebo effect.

I think that's where the problem stems for everyone here. It's not a horrible system. It's a horrible system for that price. If it were 1/3 the price, it would be a decent little system to start with. For that price though, you could get an incredible sounding system.
post #28 of 61 Old 12-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviman33 View Post

Freaksavior,

Make sure you pick up a full set of Monster Cables with those Bose.

Jon

I hope you're being sarcastic.

forum tennis, look right.........................................forum tennis, look left
post #29 of 61 Old 12-05-2006, 09:57 PM

Bose has an excellent marketing scheme - advertise the hell out of a low cost, under-engineneered, highly profitable speaker to the average consumer......Brilliant

Rick -
On the Beach
post #30 of 61 Old 12-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Bose is a ripoff, sure go ahead and have your dad buy that setup. there would be less complaints if they were priced lower, but hey they take advantage of the dimwits. lol

Bose= Marketing Scheme

like it was mentioned before, make sure you get monster cables, they are the best, platinum diamond crested shielding on the market. You can definitely tell the difference!
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page