need help diagnosing high pitch whine/squeel from my htib - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-13-2006, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I have a Sony DAV-FC8 which has been working fine for a couple of years. Recently, I began noticing that the front speakers (especially the center) would begin emitting a loud whine whenever I turned the unit on after it was off for a few hours. The whine would not be there if I kept the unit on.

During the past few weeks though, the whine has been with me consistently, regardless of whether or not I shut off the receiver. The whine goes down somewhat if I disconnect my audio cables from the receiver to the TV. The whine goes away entirely if I unplug the speakers from the receiver (duh! ). How loud the whine is depends on what volume I've set. The louder the volume, the louder the whine. The noise is there even if the TV is shut off.

I only have this problem when using the unit to watch TV or play console games. The whine goes away immediately as soon as I switch to a DVD. I don't have any such issues with my rear speakers.

I did notice that I seem to be picking up some static or feedback when I was messing with the audio cables to the TV.

ANy thoughts on where I could get started on diagnosing this issue?

Thanks in advance..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-14-2006, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You are picking up hum in your audio cables somewhere or you have a bad connection for sure,the best place to start is the avr by disconnecting all the compnents and taking all the cables and start connecting it all back one by one until you find the cable that is producing noise..
post #3 of 3 Old 01-03-2007, 11:47 AM

Liked: 10
"infinite loop" -

did you ever figure out what was causing the hissing noise from your sony dav-fc8 system? i am also experiencing the same problem with mine.

thx

to all other readers -

my system has the same squeel from mostly the center speaker while only on video1, video2 and the stereo tuner, but not on dvd mode. i unplug all cables including the video and fm/am antenna. when i reconnect the cables 1 by 1, the squeel increases slightly until i finally plug in the center speaker which greatly increases the squeel. also, the squeel grows louder when the volume is increased.

could this be caused by bad, weak, or dirty power coming from the ac electrical outlet in the wall of my hous
thx
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page