Official Onkyo HT-S590 Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 202 Old 12-22-2006, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since there are about 10 new threads a week about this system, I thought a generic thread similar to the one the S790 owners have would be a good tool. I'll get around to posting the specs a bit later, but in the mean time, please feel free to post tips, tricks, problems, what have you.

I'll start: I just received the HT-S590 system yesterday. My plasma TV is in the shop at the moment, so I haven't used it with 5.1 sources yet. I have played some songs from my iPod. Many of the surround listening modes sound great. I haven't been able to discern the nuances between them yet.

I fooled around with the placement of the sub some. I found I got a lot more response with the sub in a corner than I did in a 1/3 spot on the wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 202 Old 12-22-2006, 08:06 PM

Great thread to start. I just received a refurb of this unit and I am pleased so far. I have not been able to delve too deeply yet but have been pleased with what I have heard so far. Plenty of volume to play with in my media room.

I should be receiving an optical cable in a week or so and can test out the xbox 360 surround sound then. I also am going to investigate direct component to the projector versus component through the receiver to see if their is any image degradation or change in brightness.
post #3 of 202 Old 12-22-2006, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
S790 seeker here but Frys has the s590 for under $150 in this weeks flyer. ( SF area)

R

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565515@N04/

post #4 of 202 Old 12-22-2006, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
good move on starting this thread...let's hope it is as successful as the 790 thread.

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
post #5 of 202 Old 12-22-2006, 09:37 PM

HT-S590 interference issues and solutions thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=691847

I don't have any interference issues but this is good info.
post #6 of 202 Old 12-23-2006, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiggy1 View Post

HT-S590 interference issues and solutions thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=691847

I don't have any interference issues but this is good info.

I just noticed that I was having the same interference issues on the surround modes that is mentioned in that thread. The very last poster mentioned that it was a ground loop problem. He suggested to look it up. I googled it, but everything I could find was written over my head. When I get back home, I'll probably try the tape spacer trick to see if that helps.
post #7 of 202 Old 12-24-2006, 05:53 AM

Here is another thread with some good information such as being able to connect a powered sub woofer to the Onkyo 590:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=751314

Cheers to DIMAN75 and Jakeman02 for their input as this is someting I am pondering doing down the road.
post #8 of 202 Old 12-24-2006, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaSaxT View Post

I just noticed that I was having the same interference issues on the surround modes that is mentioned in that thread. The very last poster mentioned that it was a ground loop problem. He suggested to look it up. I googled it, but everything I could find was written over my head. When I get back home, I'll probably try the tape spacer trick to see if that helps.

Before cracking open the receiver, I decided to try just loosening the two screws near the speaker terminal. I'm happy to report this has done the trick for the time being. We'll see if it holds.
post #9 of 202 Old 12-24-2006, 02:12 PM

I'm actually thinkiing about getting a S590 from circuit city today. They have it listed at 280 but I have a 10 percent off coupon and another 10 off on top of that. So after my savings I'm looking at 242 -- anyone know of a better deal than that?

Also if by any chance someone can help me with this next question i'd REALLY appreciate it. I have a PS3 and an HDTV with an HDMI input. How should i hook this all up? I was thinking HDMI from the PS3 to the TV and then optical from the PS3 to the receiver. Will this automatically turn off my tv speakers (they are terrible)? Thanks a lot, and great idea to start this thread.
post #10 of 202 Old 12-24-2006, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsbaby View Post

I'm actually thinkiing about getting a S590 from circuit city today. They have it listed at 280 but I have a 10 percent off coupon and another 10 off on top of that. So after my savings I'm looking at 242 -- anyone know of a better deal than that?

I got a refurbished S590 from shoponkyo.com for $133. They don't have any available at the moment, but they come and go pretty regularly. Usually the refurbs are $200 or less, so I would wait if you could. Or if you're wanting to spend that much, just upgrade and get the S790 from shoponkyo.

EDIT: I should add that there is no indication at all that this system was ever used/damaged/etc.
post #11 of 202 Old 12-25-2006, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsbaby View Post

Also if by any chance someone can help me with this next question i'd REALLY appreciate it. I have a PS3 and an HDTV with an HDMI input. How should i hook this all up? I was thinking HDMI from the PS3 to the TV and then optical from the PS3 to the receiver. Will this automatically turn off my tv speakers (they are terrible)? Thanks a lot, and great idea to start this thread.

You are correct in that the 590 does not have any HDMI connections and will have to be hooked up directly to your TV. Optical is definitely that way to go with the 590 - it has two optical inputs and one coax.

The ability to turn off the TV sound automatically with the optical output will likely depend on the TV, otherwise you will have to hit mute on the TV I guess.

The previous poster is also correct to check the onkyo store to purchase the 590. make sure you register as a club member for free to see the discounted price and to obtain automatic reward points (1 point = $1 discount). As much as I like to see support for the system I purchased, the previous poster is alss correct that you might want to consider the 700 series for the money you are considering spending as I believe the 790 should give you some options with HDMI too. Otherwise, just wait for some refurb 590s to come out on the website to get a great deal.
post #12 of 202 Old 12-25-2006, 11:34 AM

I received my refurb-ed 590 a few days ago (thanks to all for the $133 tip!!) and have been fiddling with the settings. I upgraded to 18 gauge wire (I actually didn't think the 16 would fit in the connectors) and hear a buzz but only with the source off and the volume max-ed out. I may try the insulating spacer tricks mentioned in the earlier threads.

My question....Is it generally better to let the unit interpret the TV channel or DVD input and pick the right Mode? Do you folks constantly switch between modes depending on concert, sports, drama etc to find the right one??

And my wife tends to surf by RAPIDLY changing channels rather than using the on-screen guide to see what's on. Since the 590 switches modes by TV channel, is there any risk of damage by this quick change and not letting the 590 "settle out" between channel changes??

--Jeff
post #13 of 202 Old 12-26-2006, 02:50 PM

Just bought a S590(S) system today ($299 from CC).

I have my Comcast HD DVR and XBox 360 hooked up to it, both via optical/digital. Sounds great to me. I used the speaker wire that came with it, so no buzzing.

My video goes straight from my HD DVR to my Samsung plasma via component.

Any tips/tricks on the S590 that I should play with?

What is the (S) after my model # mean?

Also, I'm assuming upgrading to a powered subwoofer would be a no-brainer *?*

XBL:  B Klip

PSN:  Chodite

post #14 of 202 Old 12-26-2006, 03:35 PM

"What is the (S) after my model # mean?"

Silver ;>
post #15 of 202 Old 12-26-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdshw View Post

"What is the (S) after my model # mean?"

Silver ;>

So I'm guessing black is available? *sigh*
My wife isn't happy about the silver. Especially since the TV is a shiny, piano black. Oooh well, too late now!

post #16 of 202 Old 12-26-2006, 10:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Its not too late, you bought it from Circuit City, you can always exchange it for a black one if available. You've got 30 days to change your mind.

Afro GT
post #17 of 202 Old 12-27-2006, 08:14 AM

Shouldn't the "double d" symbol light up on the receiver when I am watching a DVD with 5.1 dolby digital? I just received this for Christmas and have it connected with an optical cabel but this does not light up on my receiver. Since it is not lit up, I am afraid that it is not receiving the dolby digital signal for some reason.
post #18 of 202 Old 12-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I think somone should post the differences in the two receivers with the s590 and the s790 so that newcomers like me can view instead of thumbing through 20+ pages for an answer
post #19 of 202 Old 12-27-2006, 09:55 AM

Well Ive had this system for a few months now. Got a refurb from shoponkyo.

So far its perfect. I installed with some nice 16G wire and it sounds great. I have used it with a xbox360, cable stb, and dvd player all hooked up via optical and all sound great.

I live in an apt and this sytem is perfect.
post #20 of 202 Old 12-28-2006, 06:34 AM

So the S590 doesn't have a powered sub?
post #21 of 202 Old 12-28-2006, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:

Since it is not lit up, I am afraid that it is not receiving the dolby digital signal for some reason.

Did you go into the DVD player setup and turn on "BITSTREAM" instead of "PCM"? You must do this and also turn on DTS for the player to send a DD or DTS signal to your receiver.

Afro GT
post #22 of 202 Old 12-28-2006, 11:24 AM

That worked...thanks aforgt!
post #23 of 202 Old 12-29-2006, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Did you go into the DVD player setup and turn on "BITSTREAM" instead of "PCM"? You must do this and also turn on DTS for the player to send a DD or DTS signal to your receiver.

I had no idea you were to even do this. I came here with intentions of asking:

Which listening mode does everyone use? I has SO many different. For my situation I mostly watch everything in HD. Not many movies. But I'll check my dvd player when I get home for the bitstream setting.

Also what is PCM?

Ok I wiki'ed PCM but I'm still puzzled as to how it relates to which setting I should use.
post #24 of 202 Old 12-29-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post

I had no idea you were to even do this. I came here with intentions of asking:

Which listening mode does everyone use? I has SO many different. For my situation I mostly watch everything in HD. Not many movies. But I'll check my dvd player when I get home for the bitstream setting.

Also what is PCM?

Ok I wiki'ed PCM but I'm still puzzled as to how it relates to which setting I should use.

When watching something in HD on the HD DVR via optical audio cable - I think I hit the "surround" listening mode button on the remote until the receiver says "Dolby - Direct". I'll have to double check to see if that's exactly what it is. I'm still getting familiar with this receiver's settings (only had it for a few days now)

When watching SD, I make sure it's set to one of the ProLogic II settings.

post #25 of 202 Old 12-30-2006, 04:23 PM

I hooked mine up today and couldn't get true 5.1 for the life of me. Then I figured out the trick: B speakers need to be off. You can't have A and B going at the same time, it needs to only be A. So, if anyone else is having the same problem, try that.
post #26 of 202 Old 01-02-2007, 07:20 AM

Great advice about the 5.1 needing the "B" speakers turned off.

Silly question - my 4 year old nephew knocked my center speaker off my entertainment stand yesterday. It dropped about 3 feet onto the carpet. Should I be worrying about any sort of damage?

post #27 of 202 Old 01-06-2007, 10:03 PM

Just hooked up my Onkyo S590 with 16 AWG speaker wire, sounds great, no problems.
post #28 of 202 Old 01-06-2007, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodite View Post

Great advice about the 5.1 needing the "B" speakers turned off.

Silly question - my 4 year old nephew knocked my center speaker off my entertainment stand yesterday. It dropped about 3 feet onto the carpet. Should I be worrying about any sort of damage?

Not if it sounds ok. 3 ft on carpet isn't that bad as long as nothing it one of the drivers directly or it jared something loose you should be fine.
post #29 of 202 Old 01-06-2007, 10:43 PM

Oh man, this is killing me, I can't decide if I should throw down the extra money for the 5790s, or just stick with the 5590, seeing how I would end up running the 5790 as a 5.1 instead of 7.1
post #30 of 202 Old 01-06-2007, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nozerider View Post

Oh man, this is killing me, I can't decide if I should throw down the extra money for the 5790s, or just stick with the 5590, seeing how I would end up running the 5790 as a 5.1 instead of 7.1

Depends on how much you want to spend. The S790 gives your more digital inputs a more powerful receiver and a powered subwoofer and the speakers are of somewhat better quality, although still HTIB quality. If you're happy with the S590 keep it, yeah you would probably hear a minimal preformance incrase with the 790 but enough to offset the cost....not imo. I purchased the 580...previous version to the 590 and was very happy with it, imo for the difference in price you could get a quality pair of bookshelves for the front and far exceede both systems.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page