recommend a setup please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-30-2006, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what's up everyone? I've been reading the forums, trying to get ideas on what surround sound setup to buy...i have a budget of $300-350 and this setup will need to be able to hook up to my sony bravia hdtv, my pc, and xbox360...it is for a relatively small apartment so i don't really need any huge speakers or anything but i would like a sub with plenty of bass power...just wasn't sure what 5.1 or 6.1 setups to be looking at but so far i've been eyeing the logitec z-5500 and the HT-S680..but i defintely would like to see your suggestions? thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2007, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

anyone plz? i really need some advice...thx
Old 01-02-2007, 09:23 PM

Liked: 11
I'll try to help the best I know. First off stay away from the units that have a dvd player built into the receiver, asking for problems. Get a unit with a stand alone receiver. I also wouldn't reccomend Sony, they have special connections for their speakers so you can't upgrade them if you choose to do so in the future. You want something with lots of connections so that you can add on as necessary. The 2 that come to mind with a stand alone receiver and plenty of connections are Yamaha and Onkyo. WorstBuy carries Yamaha and Circuit City carries Onkyo. Go in and take a look, if you can stretch your budget another $50 Circuit City has the Onkyo s790 on sale for $409 in this weeks flyer.
I'm not sure about connecting your pc, I guess it depends on the type of connection on your video and sound card. Just make sure the receiver you pick has extra connections of the same type. If all else fails look around on the site, there are plenty of threads about budget systems. You just don't want to get something you can't upgrade down the road. Hope this helps some.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Vote for S790 ......from my gruesome 3 months of research for a Htib for my new house. End of story. If u have the patience, CC will drop the price on the S790 again for their March Madness sale (I have my 'inside' sources ;-))

Ray

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565515@N04/

Old 01-04-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkin View Post

Go in and take a look, if you can stretch your budget another $50 Circuit City has the Onkyo s790 on sale for $409 in this weeks flyer.

How good of a deal is this? Is it often on sale this low?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I can vouch for the Onkyo 790 also. A friend of mine bought one and I helped him set it up. I was pretty impressed for a HTIB.

Kaboom.