Bought Onkyo HT-S790 need connection help -- confused - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-06-2007, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi...based on what I've read here and elsewhere, I am now the proud owner of an Onkyo HT-S790 HTIB. I've got the speaker set up down, but now I need serious help with the a/v connections. I always end up confusing myself with this stuff.....

Here's what I have:

HTIB: Onkyo HT-S790

TV: Panasonic 42" HD Plasma 42PX60U

DVD: Onkyo DV-SP404
HDMI out, coax digital audio out, component video out, rca video and audio out, s video out

Cable: Time Warner (Motorola) digital cable box (for now...HD coming next week!)

How do I connect it all? I have individual connection info in my owner's manuals, but nowhere that seems to put it all together.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-06-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2gr8kids View Post

Hi...based on what I've read here and elsewhere, I am now the proud owner of an Onkyo HT-S790 HTIB. I've got the speaker set up down, but now I need serious help with the a/v connections. I always end up confusing myself with this stuff.....

Here's what I have:

HTIB: Onkyo HT-S790

TV: Panasonic 42" HD Plasma 42PX60U

DVD: Onkyo DV-SP404
HDMI out, coax digital audio out, component video out, rca video and audio out, s video out

Cable: Time Warner (Motorola) digital cable box (for now...HD coming next week!)

How do I connect it all? I have individual connection info in my owner's manuals, but nowhere that seems to put it all together.

Thanks!

Ok, here we go. DVD: HDMI to tv. Coax to the recvr. Then set the connection on the recvr for dvd for that input.

Cable box:If you have component on the box send those plus rca to the tv. Then send an optical to the recvr into video 2. If the box doesn't have component then just send composite to the tv.

I recon that should set you up for now.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-06-2007, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks much!
Just to verify....is this correct?

DVD = hdmi to tv and coax to receiver, set receiver connection for dvd

Cable box - doesn't have component, so...
composite to tv (red, white, yellow)
optical tv to receiver ??

I'm so clueless about this...
post #4 of 9 Old 01-06-2007, 11:06 AM

Liked: 11
You definitely want HDMI from the dvd to the tv, your dvd player won't upscale dvd's without it. For the audio it needs to be optical or DIGITAL coax, the cable looks the same but it needs to be digital coax to get the surround sound to work.
For the cable box the way leftey said will work but what I did was this. Run component cables from the box to the video 2 in on the receiver then run another component cable from the video out on the receiver to the tv. This way if
you end up wanting to hook anything else up, like a game console or vcr, you don't have to run anymore cables to the tv. Just use the other video in's on the receiver and use the video switching on the receiver to change from one source to the next. For the audio it's the same as the dvd player, optical or digital coax from the cable box to the receiver. Not sure why you need the rca cables to the tv unless you want to use its speakers at some point.
That's about it for the connections, either way will work for the cable box. A few other things I'll tell you about though. You will probably have to go into the receiver menu and assign an audio slot to each video and maybe even tell it if it's digital or not. Another thing that had me flustered for a while was not getting a dolby surround option for the dvd, only dolby pro logic which is a "made up" surround sound. It works but not as well as discrete dolby. Turns out you have to go into the dvd menu and in the audio section change PCM to bitstream. I don't know what that's about but as soon as I did it I got the dolby, big difference.
Once you get it working just sit down and play with it while going through the manual and you'll figure it all out. This was the first home theater I did and while it seemed overwhelming at first I caught on pretty quick to most of it.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-06-2007, 11:12 AM

If the box doesn't have optical then yes you could do that. You are going to be a happy camper once that hd box comes in. When that box comes in run the optical from the box to the recvr and rca to tv. I'm not real sure if that optical from the tv to the recvr is going to work. If it doesn't then run the rca from the box to the recvr then rca from recvr to the tv. Sometimes it's just trial and error setting this stuff up.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-08-2007, 10:56 AM

ok, after reading this I am alittle confused. I have a simular set-up, but do have a HD cable box. I just got my htib today, so I will need to go and buy some optical cables.

tv= 42px600u

htib= HT-S790

dvd= oppo 970

cable box= motorola DCT 6416 III

Currently I have:

CABLE BOX to TV via HDMI

DVD to TV via HDMI

So..... now I need to hook up the receiver with optical.

DO I just add?:

CABLE BOX to RECEIVER via OPTICAL

DVD PLAYER to RECEIVER via OPTICAL

or do I need to add another OPTICAL from the TV to the RECEIVER?

Thanks, Josh
post #7 of 9 Old 01-08-2007, 04:51 PM

Just run the opticals to the receiver. Your audio is going to be coming out of the receiver, not the TV - so technically, the TV and receiver don't need to be connected at all. You're putting video through the TV via HDMI and audio through the receiver via optical/coax - and the sound is syncing with the picture.

No need to run optical from TV to receiver.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-08-2007, 05:39 PM

ok, thank you.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-08-2007, 05:54 PM

unless the TV has a qam tuner in which will have a digital audio out put but i am guessing you are going to be using the CABLE HD box my bad :P
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page