I bought an HTIB when I think I should have bought a receiver... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2007, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung 4095d TV and was looking for a nice surround sound system for it. Aside from having the TV, Xbox 360, PS2, and whatever else I hook up to my TV be supported, I wanted to be able to hook my computer up to it and for it to also have a CD player and FM tuner. I bought the Samsung HT-Q70 home theater setup today, but I just realized I think I would have been better off with a receiver. It seems to me that right now I can only use the Q70 for watching movies, but I want everything (game consoles, computer) to take advantage of it. Both the TV and HTIB support HDMI so I got to thinking maybe if I connect the two through HDMI and then hook up a switch through the component inputs on the HTIB I'd be able to use the sound system for my game consoles. But how would this affect quality? I know part of it depends on the switch I use (right now I've got a Pelican 8 way switch that's only decent), but would I also lose quality for adding another potential bottleneck?

It seems buying a receiver and hooking each device up to it individually makes more sense (and is easier), but the Q70 was a decent price and so far it sounds great. I'm just wondering if it's feasible to hook my consoles up to a switch, then connect the switch to the Q70, and have the Q70 connected through the TV through HDMI.

Sorry if this post doesn't make much sense, part of it is just me rambling and the other part is my inexperience with this stuff - this is the first time I've even thought about a surround sound system

Any input and advice would really be appreciated.

edit: I left out a few things. I'm on a budget, I bought the Q70 for $375 after taxes and am pretty happy in that price range. Also I don't want bone-jarring sound - I've got people living beneath my apartment and don't want to upset them.

edit 2: crap, just realized it's only component OUT. it has two RCA aux in's but those won't help with my component 360, ps2, and cable box. guess i gotta return this and look for a new system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2007, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
with a $375 budget you'll need to stick with an HTIB system. To get into a quality seperate system you're looking at the $600 and up range. However you can kind of get the best of both worlds with some compromises.

If you're budget is $375 I'd recommend returing the unit and looking for a Onkyo HT-S790. You can get refurb deals on this system for <$375 and regular price right at that mark if you shop around.

This is going to give you a quality receiver that you would buy if you went and bought a seperate receiver. This one is equivilant to the Onkyo 504. It doesn't have HDMI but you won't find it in a decent system at this price. Just run your video straight to the TV for HDMI and then audio to the receiver, if your tv doesn't have enough HDMI inputs you can purchase hdmi video only switcher pretty cheap.

This receiver will give you alot more connectivity options, 4 digital audio inputs as well as 3 component video etc. Its also a more powerful receiver that will give you much better preformance. The speakers and sub are substandard as they are in all HTIB systems due to keeping cost down but if you should decide to upgrade these in the future you can easily do so in comparison to systems from other companies which usually have model specific connections.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

home theaters are hard to think about when you're sleepy . i just realized that i'd be able to hook up my 360 and ps2 to the two aux RCA inputs on it, and probably get a digital cable for my cable box. but even then the q70 only lets me hook up 3 devices - i don't like that since i may get a Wii.

i've been thinking about the Panasonic XR55 7.1 receiver after reading a lot of good impressions of it - i think i may go for that and do a custom setup while trying not to break the $600 barrier
Old 01-07-2007, 08:49 AM

If you hook up your 360 to the rca's, you won't get dolby digital. It will just be stereo (left,right). So the audio won't be as good.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by teveee View Post

home theaters are hard to think about when you're sleepy . i just realized that i'd be able to hook up my 360 and ps2 to the two aux RCA inputs on it, and probably get a digital cable for my cable box. but even then the q70 only lets me hook up 3 devices - i don't like that since i may get a Wii.

i've been thinking about the Panasonic XR55 7.1 receiver after reading a lot of good impressions of it - i think i may go for that and do a custom setup while trying not to break the $600 barrier

The XR-55 is a great choice and matched with a quality set up speakers and sub would blow away any HTIB. You'll probably pay betweent $200-$225 for it then I'd recommend the Bic H-100 sub right at $200 and the vedolyne front row speaker system at $199. You're right at your $600 budget with a superior setup over htib.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

after doing some research i don't think the xr55 is right for me. my tv supports HDMI so ideally i'd like to have the receiver upconvert everything thru HDMI.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:18 PM

You should go with the Sony HT-DDW900 HTIB! It has a kick ass receiver, that's got everything.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do