onkyo ht-s790 vs. onkyo ht-990thx - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 01-12-2007, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im stuck, I just want to know if there is a big difference in sound quality and if the extra money for the 990 worth it?

Also I was browsing at e- bay and found and a 790b for a real cheap price.
Is this like a knock off on the 790s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-12-2007, 02:25 PM

Doesn't "b" stand for black and "s" for silver?
post #3 of 31 Old 01-12-2007, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkp View Post

Doesn't "b" stand for black and "s" for silver?

thats the thing I am confused about that also.
the 790b was a buy now item for like $300 and I didnt find the 790s for less than $500.
I was thinking maybe it was an older model.
post #4 of 31 Old 01-12-2007, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
HT-S790B = Black HT-S790S = Silver......only difference
post #5 of 31 Old 01-12-2007, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

HT-S790B = Black HT-S790S = Silver......only difference

you=teh correct.
post #6 of 31 Old 01-12-2007, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Yeah, it's so you can match it with your other components.

Anyway, with the 990 you get a bigger subwoofer and the THX rated speakers, and I think a few other things. I don't know if it is worth the extra $$$ (I think it would be better spent getting a 790 and upgrading the sub/speakers.)

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #7 of 31 Old 01-12-2007, 06:22 PM

Here's a review, and I personally think the 990 is worth every penny. It is a great sounding system. http://hometheatermag.com/hometheate...1106onkyos990/ There is a couple additional pages of review at the bottom of the page linked.
post #8 of 31 Old 01-12-2007, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
onkyo speakers/subs have an exceptionally poor track record. they paid for THX liscencing...so what. for $800 there are far better options.

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
post #9 of 31 Old 01-13-2007, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-star View Post

onkyo speakers/subs have an exceptionally poor track record. they paid for THX liscencing...so what. for $800 there are far better options.

I haven't read a review yet that backs up your statement. I believe there's alot more that goes into having a thx certification than just paying for a license, as posted in the link.
post #10 of 31 Old 01-14-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftey View Post

I haven't read a review yet that backs up your statement. I believe there's alot more that goes into having a thx certification than just paying for a license, as posted in the link.

+1 Why should we believe you over someone that has reviewed the unit, have you heard it? You seem to know your stuff from the other thread, but everything I have read about the system has been nothing but praise and I'm seriously thinking about this system for my theater room.

Murder after Midnight
post #11 of 31 Old 01-14-2007, 07:57 PM

+2, G-star, you seemed dead set on component stuff over HTIB stuff which I agree in a way the 990thx is, but you should also realize that this system is quite a bit above your average HTIB in sound quality and value.

Yes, if you take the time and piece together some component stuff you can get a wicked HT with great sound but some people aren't into that and that's why we have HTIB to take the guesswork out of picking the right items for a HT.

I like how you seem to give advice here about getting component stuff and being able to come in close to or below the price of the 990, but comparing a brand new 990 system vs. your pieced together component system with refurb units pricewise is hardly fair. Price out the component as brand new items vs. the 990 brand new and see how much more the component stuff will cost to get that slightly better sound quality (if at all) over the 990.

Comparing your refurb component setup vs. a refurb 990 would be a fairer comparsion. Accessories4less sells the 990 refurb for $749, for that price you would get a wicked HT system that I feel is just as good as any component setup you can put together with refurb stuff + if you're patient and have good timing CC will price a new 990 for $699 (saw it last week but couldn't jump at the opportunity to buy). It will go for that again sometime, no component system that you put together can touch that price, new or refurbed.

Tony
post #12 of 31 Old 01-14-2007, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchanman01 View Post

I like how you seem to give advice here about getting component stuff and being able to come in close to or below the price of the 990, but comparing a brand new 990 system vs. your pieced together component system with refurb units pricewise is hardly fair.

who said anything about fair? i've heard several different onkyo HITB units, including one in my own home, and none of them have impressed me. the lower end units sounded downright awful. the 990 was certainly better, but i firmly believe that there are better options for that kind of $$$.

so i'll offer my advice based on my experience and tastes, as everyone else does. it's free, and anyone who cares to read can take it or leave it. as they say....YMMV.

post #13 of 31 Old 01-14-2007, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I like how you seem to give advice here about getting component stuff and being able to come in close to or below the price of the 990, but comparing a brand new 990 system vs. your pieced together component system with refurb units pricewise is hardly fair. Price out the component as brand new items vs. the 990 brand new and see how much more the component stuff will cost to get that slightly better sound quality (if at all) over the 990. Tony

He was pricing refurbs because they give you the best bang for the buck. Check user reviews of these refurbs. They have been through quality control twice and have just as good or better reilability rating than new, plus refurb doesn't necessarily mean anyting was wrong with the receiver in the first place, it could mean it was returned for any number of reasons or the box had just been opened. As long as it's from a reliable, authorized dealer and it's FACTORY refurbed with a waranty it's a great way to get a better system than one normally could for the same price or lower.

I to totally agree you could put together a seperate system of better quality for the same price as the 990, but that's simply advice, take it or leave it. As far as HTIBs go if that's what your after then the 790 or 990 is a great choice.
post #14 of 31 Old 01-15-2007, 07:21 PM

A refurb is a refurb is a refurb, whether it works AWA as a brand new unit or not for less money, and comparing a NEW anything vs. something that is refurbed, remanned, recycled is not right IMO.

Some people may want nothing to do with anything that isn't brand new, like yours truly and if I want to do component stuff for my HT I would get BRAND NEW and nothing else. Since my life is busy enough as it is the last thing I have time for is to search, research, piece together a system that will work for my setup. The 990 for me will get the job done and having the THX thing with 8 speakers was that little extra something that I wasn't expecting (was honestly going to just do a 5.1 setup).

Once again since I'm a busy guy I'm not going to search back on your recommendations for component stuff so what you are recommending on previous posts for the price of the 990 does it give you a THX receiver and speakers to do 7.1 surround? I recall the systems you are suggesting is just a surround receiver and 5.1 speakers, hardly comparable to the 990 even if it does sound better.

I'll spend the extra money and get the THX receiver and more speakers in the 990, or I'll be patient and wait for the $699 CC sale, and that is MO.

Tony
post #15 of 31 Old 01-16-2007, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Once again since I'm a busy guy I'm not going to search back on your recommendations for component stuff so what you are recommending on previous posts for the price of the 990 does it give you a THX receiver and speakers to do 7.1 surround? I recall the systems you are suggesting is just a surround receiver and 5.1 speakers, hardly comparable to the 990 even if it does sound better.

again, it is quality over quantity here. IMO, with the 990 system you are paying a premium for the THX labeling; onkyo is passing that cost along to the consumer. for $800, a 5.1 componenet system will provide a higher level of SQ at the expense of the back two speakers. since there is little encoded in 6.1 or 7.1 at this point, i can live with that. YMMV.

post #16 of 31 Old 01-16-2007, 07:38 AM

B = Black
S + Silver

They are both the same exact model.
post #17 of 31 Old 01-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Aside from the difference in surround and woofer, the 990 also gets better tweeters on the front sides.

I was in a similar situation. I started by looking at individual components. Then looked at the 990, which seams to be the best HTIB today. I ended up with the 790, realizing I didn't need a high end system at all.
post #18 of 31 Old 01-16-2007, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, my 790 is loud enough for my townhouse. I think the 990 would cause the neighbors to storm my home with pitchforks and torches.

post #19 of 31 Old 01-16-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flags View Post

B = Black
S + Silver

They are both the same exact model.

That's been answered, but thanks for chiming in. It's a wonder how this site has gone on so long without the very informative posts that you've provided here lately. Oh well, here's to spamming!
post #20 of 31 Old 01-18-2007, 11:20 AM

I am new to surround systems and did a lot of research before I bought my system. I went with the S990. I set it up last weekend and it's awesome!!
post #21 of 31 Old 01-18-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelraek View Post

I am new to surround systems and did a lot of research before I bought my system. I went with the S990. I set it up last weekend and it's awesome!!

I completely agree with you and congrats!
post #22 of 31 Old 01-27-2007, 03:15 PM

So... one question still seems unanswered:

is the 990 worth the extra $300-$400 extra compared to the 790?
post #23 of 31 Old 01-27-2007, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDarKnighTx View Post

So... one question still seems unanswered:

is the 990 worth the extra $300-$400 extra compared to the 790?

It's been answered and there is no one answer. That's up to the buyer. To me "NO". You're still getting HTIB grade speakers and sub and much better performing components can be put together for the price.

To others that want the ease of a system already put together for them with upgraded (although still htib quality) speakers and sub in one system for the price and don't want to research putting together seperate components to do it. "Probably".
post #24 of 31 Old 01-28-2007, 09:33 PM

I'm interested in the 990,but I haven't found them in stock anywhere.Does anyone have a clue where to find one.
post #25 of 31 Old 01-28-2007, 10:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Circuit City and Frys Electronic both carry them in the stores and on the Web.

post #26 of 31 Old 01-29-2007, 08:23 AM

Actually, the 990 is out-of-stock at CC and Amazon, but the latter should get some in this week.

Official OPPO BDP-83 Early Adopter--and happy I did!
I am an SVS Subhuman.
post #27 of 31 Old 01-29-2007, 08:48 AM

Looking to get a new Home Theater System.....

The Onkyo's def look appealing - esp when reading professional/customer reviews.

My question is this....when using it with an HDTV (I have the Sony Bravia V Series 40") does the lack of HDMI input/outputs play a huge role? I mean, I suppose I could always put everything through the TV, then send the audio from the TV to the Onkyo receiver if I wanted to use HDMI. Would the component outputs on the receiver give a similar PQ?

Am I better off looking at something like the HTS894?

Down the road, the most I will prob have would be some sort of cable box/direct tv satellite, dvd/ps3 type device, and maybe some sort of digital recorder.

ANy help is appreciated.

Thanks so much for your help on this site...its great!

Mike
post #28 of 31 Old 01-29-2007, 01:18 PM

I ordered my 990 from Circuit City's website. They did not have it in stock in the store. I have my video connected to the HDTV and the audio connected to the Onkyo using optical cables. Works great!
post #29 of 31 Old 01-29-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefJarrett View Post

Looking to get a new Home Theater System.....

The Onkyo's def look appealing - esp when reading professional/customer reviews.

My question is this....when using it with an HDTV (I have the Sony Bravia V Series 40") does the lack of HDMI input/outputs play a huge role? I mean, I suppose I could always put everything through the TV, then send the audio from the TV to the Onkyo receiver if I wanted to use HDMI. Would the component outputs on the receiver give a similar PQ?

Am I better off looking at something like the HTS894?

Down the road, the most I will prob have would be some sort of cable box/direct tv satellite, dvd/ps3 type device, and maybe some sort of digital recorder.

ANy help is appreciated.

Thanks so much for your help on this site...its great!

Mike

As long as you're got enough HDMI inputs on the TV for video to fill your needs at this point I wouldn't worry about HDMI in the receiver. Just run audio through the receiver. Their are to many handshaking issues with other components when using HDMI through the receiver. Get the system with the features you need now. If at a later point after some of the new HDMI issues have been resolved and you find yourself wanting one you can always ebay that receiver and use the money toward it, plus the prices will have come down on hdmi receivers at that point.
post #30 of 31 Old 01-29-2007, 01:57 PM

I hooked up an Onkyo HT S907 system last week. It looked and sounded great. I base the sound comparison against my Athena .5's and ASP4000 sub with my Onkyo TX SR573. What I also like about the HT S907 is the upconverting DVD player (Onkyo DV CP704) which comes with it. This player impressed me so much that I bought it on Saturday.

Now, keep in mind all these benefits, and attractive looking system and excellent speakers (for Onkyo, these are amongst their best yet) and I think its a bargain, selling online for between 700 and 900.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page