another s790 setup how to - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-17-2007, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i was wondering what would be the most efficient way to hook these devices up to the onkyo reciever...

Sony KDL40S2000 40" Bravia Flat Panel LCD HDTV
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL40S200.../dp/B000EP1IKW

Xbox 360

and a PC

i'm a complete noob at this kind of stuff but let me give it a go and you can tell me what I'm doing worng...

i would connect the xbox 360 --> reciever via optical audio cable, tv audio --> reciever via optical audio cable, tv video --> reciever via component video cable, xbox 360 video --> tv via component video cable

sorry but 1 more question, how in the world do i go about hooking the computer up to the reciever? my sound card doesn't support 5.1 but its does support 2.1...can it be hooked up to the reciever but only play 2.1?

thx so much for all the replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-18-2007, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

anyone please? I was planning on buying the mentioned cables today sometime and your comments woudl really be appreciated, thx
post #3 of 15 Old 01-18-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
No one can answer this exactly because they don't know your preference in hooking everything up but here's the basics.

What you'll need is an audio cable and a video cable for each source. You can choose to run the video through the receiver as most do and use it as a video switcher as as well as audio or you can run video straight to the tv. As far as what cables you'll need no one can really answer that because you'll have to see what your souce components use. I would guess digital optical or digital coaxial for audio for each component and probably composite or component video. You'll just have to check and see what they use.

You can also pull up the manual at www.onkyo.com under the "downloads" link and that should help you understand how evertything hooks up.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-18-2007, 08:49 AM

Liked: 11
Determined, sounds like you got it right. If you have a cable box you can go from the cable box into the receiver then from the receiver to the tv. As for your pc, I don't know as I've never hooked one up. Just below this forum is one called audio setup though, maybe search in there and see if you can find anything.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-18-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerkin View Post

Determined, sounds like you got it right. If you have a cable box you can go from the cable box into the receiver then from the receiver to the tv. As for your pc, I don't know as I've never hooked one up. Just below this forum is one called audio setup though, maybe search in there and see if you can find anything.

will going from cable box->recvr->TV lose quality? or is
cable box->TV(video) and cable box->recvr(audio) a better way to go?
post #6 of 15 Old 01-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

There are a bunch of USB to toslink devices on the market in the $30 price range. This is how I hooked up my laptop. I ran all my video connections directly to the TV and do not use the receiver's video switching capability. Since the 790 lacks an HDMI switch, it is not very useful for video switching IMHO. I also ran audio from my sat receiver directly to the TV. This way I could watch a bit of news with one less button to press.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-18-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBIC View Post

I personally haven't played with it much, but a lot of people say they get a better picture running video direct from the components to the TV and routing only the audio through the receiver.

You lose the ability to instantly switch audio and video, so you have to switch over the TV video source and the receiver audio source, but if you have a remote with programmed macros, that can be easily dealt with.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #8 of 15 Old 01-18-2007, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBIC View Post

I've tried it with 6 different receivers now using both composite and component video connections testing between video connections straight to the tv and then trough the receiver. and I can't tell any difference. I'm sure if you were able to graph the signal through some kind of meauring devide there would be a difference, it is and extra step, but to my eyes, looked exactly the same and on 2 receivers I noticed and improvement going through the receiver, could have been my mind playing games with me though , but it did look better to me.

Some say they can though. You'll just have to try it. Probably has alot to do with the receiver, other components involved, quality an lentgth of cables among a zillion other things.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-18-2007, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bear89451 View Post

There are a bunch of USB to toslink devices on the market in the $30 price range. This is how I hooked up my laptop. I ran all my video connections directly to the TV and do not use the receiver's video switching capability. Since the 790 lacks an HDMI switch, it is not very useful for video switching IMHO. I also ran audio from my sat receiver directly to the TV. This way I could watch a bit of news with one less button to press.

i currently use the presiously linked to Sony Bravia Hdtv as my computer monitor via a VGA cable from the computer to the tv but the audio comes straight from my pc speakers and not my tv...i'm just so lost on how to hook up my computer to the reciever enable to get audio through it?
post #10 of 15 Old 01-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by determined View Post

...i'm just so lost on how to hook up my computer to the reciever enable to get audio through it?

Here is the device I use:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...sterid=5509965
There are a couple other products that are similarly priced that do the same thing.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-18-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:

There are a couple other products that are similarly priced that do the same thing.

hmm - interesting, know of anything that will transmit wirelessly?
post #12 of 15 Old 01-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

The USB to toslink devices should work with these wireless USB extenders. Personally, I just bought a long toslink cable and used the little cable that came with the USB 5.1 Audio Adapter for my sat receiver.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4105
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=356042
post #13 of 15 Old 01-18-2007, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

thx for the link bro, that helped out a lot... i know my Sound Blaster! 24-bit sound card for my computer doesn't support 5.1 (only 2.1), will this make any difference when I hook it up? will i just get audio from the 2 front speakers or how will this play? thx again

nevermind, i read more info through that link and it says it somehow converts the 2.1 sound card into being able to play back 5.1 audio...that's pretty damn cool! hope it works and is as easy as it sounds! thx
post #14 of 15 Old 01-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

I played with this USB to toslink conversion device a little this weekend. What I found was that the device does not make your stereo sound card into a 5.1 sound card. What many player programs do have is the ability to transfer the compressed audio directly to the receiver. In this case, the compressed audio is sent to the receiver for decoding. This means that DD or DTS compresses audio will play fine. For stereo, the sound card can be used to decode other types of audio and then send the decoded (uncompressed?) audio to the receiver. The main advantage is the D/A converter in the receiver is much better than my laptop. Since I mostly watch DVD based material or internet radio, this works find for me. I did find many clip on the internet that used 5.1 audio that was not DD or DTS. These WMV or Quicktime files would not play in 5.1.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-23-2007, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

thx 4 the info bear, i just recieved this adapter yesterday and it works great!
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page