Durabrand 80 watt home theater system at Walmart? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 01-22-2007, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 133
This has to be the cheapest HTIB I have ever seen at $40. I decided to pick one up for my apartment bedroom, and I was surprised what I was getting for the price. It's not going to blow the neighbors away, but it was a lot better than my tv speakers and added some much needed bass to movies. I have only been using it for about 2 weeks but today I went to mute my TV to take a phone call and when I un-muted the tv there was no sound coming out of the speakers. I rechecked all the wires and plugs to make sure everything was secure and it is. Checked the fuse and it's fine. If I turn the volume up all the way I can hear a faint noise of the tv program over some static and hiss. The speakers can't be blown already can they? Do you think I should take it back to Wally and exchange for another or just chalk it up to experience and get something a little better? Although I have to say for my needs this fit me perfectly.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4810671

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-22-2007, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I was on another forum where there were literally hundreds of posts bitching about Durabrand products. Both sound issues and no codes for universal remotes.

See if you can't get your money back. I doubt exchanging it will be worth it.

For the record, I think Durabrand, WalMart's house brand, is made by Funai, and distributed to WalMart through another company. It's almost impossible to get customer service except through WalMart.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 33 Old 01-22-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
take it back, get your money back and be done with it, you'll never be satisified with that, when it does work the quality sq isn't there and they don't work longer than a short period of time, do a search for durabrand htibs on the net, 1000s of uhappy post expecting the htib they've needeed for $50, just aint gonna happen. Save up a little more cash for a good quality htib you'll need to start in the $150 - $200 range with the Onkyo ht-s580.
post #4 of 33 Old 01-22-2007, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have an update to my situation. It actually wasn't the speakers that are bad but something went wrong with my audio outputs on my tv. I unplugged the tv and now they work fine. Walmart has a 90 day return policy so I think I will keep them unless something goes wrong in the next 60 days. My appologies to Durabrand.. lol
post #5 of 33 Old 01-22-2007, 09:56 PM

Liked: 10
I saw those yesterday and laughed.
post #6 of 33 Old 01-22-2007, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

I have an update to my situation. It actually wasn't the speakers that are bad but something went wrong with my audio outputs on my tv. I unplugged the tv and now they work fine. Walmart has a 90 day return policy so I think I will keep them unless something goes wrong in the next 60 days. My appologies to Durabrand.. lol

No appologies necessary, it's only a matter of time, but if you're happy with it, that's all that matters.
post #7 of 33 Old 01-22-2007, 10:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have one Durabrand product, a walkman knockoff for some cassettes I have. Works okay, but you can feel the cheap craftsmanship. But it was $5 and the headphones were good.

I do have an Emerson (same company as Funai and probably Durabrand) shelf system that isn't too bad, except for one busted cassette slot.

I dunno about the "home theaters", though. Something about surround sound from WalMart just doesn't sound right.

post #8 of 33 Old 01-23-2007, 07:33 AM

I refuse to buy any wal-mart brand products unless its food.

I worked there 5 years and have done plenty of work at the Service Desk and have seen soo many returns of the store brand merchandise.
post #9 of 33 Old 01-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

To bad, alot of what Wal-Mart sells is quite good as I do shop there 95%. Yes I've seen lots of items come back and to take stuff back. Everyone does for what ever reason. Yes like the rest they do re-stock the returns so you got to watch out for those products.

I had purchased the below between 2003 to 2004, and he still as powerful and works very well. Parent Chineese company is Lenoxx and yes Wal-Mart does carry alot of different brands under this company as well.

The above offers 6" Sub Power Amp, 140 WATTS, 3 different audio inputs controlled by the wireless remote or on the front panel also features Dolby Pro Logic II Surround Sound.
post #10 of 33 Old 01-23-2007, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

If you want a store cheap brand, I will take a look at Insignias over at Best Buy seeing
how they have the best store brand quality in Audio and Video. Don't get fooled by price.

There is always someone out there that gives you opinion of a product that they don't even own.
post #11 of 33 Old 01-24-2007, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozerider View Post

Hey man, it was only $40 and it sounds 10x better than my tv speakers. I live in an apartment so I don't want bass that is going to blow the windows out.
post #12 of 33 Old 01-24-2007, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If it sounds good, then nothing else matters.

I am curious as to whether they put out true 5.1 channel surround sound or whether they just put out mono from all five speakers. (I've been told the latter, but I don't usually take hearsay at face value, even for a Durabrand product.)

post #13 of 33 Old 01-24-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

If it sounds good, then nothing else matters.

I am curious as to whether they put out true 5.1 channel surround sound or whether they just put out mono from all five speakers. (I've been told the latter, but I don't usually take hearsay at face value, even for a Durabrand product.)

This should be easy enough to test. Use one of the THX certified titles that has the guy flying around the room. It will be obvious if the system outputs true surround or not.
post #14 of 33 Old 03-23-2007, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just an update after 2 months to anyone who cares. This little set up is great for my bedroom! Speakers sound as good as they did the day I bought them. I was watching Snakes On a Plane the other day and there were a few times I almost got a heart attack from the subwoofer pounding when the snakes were trying to kill people. Best $40 I've spent in awhile.
post #15 of 33 Old 03-23-2007, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was watching Snakes On a Plane the other day and there were a few times I almost got a heart attack from the subwoofer pounding when the snakes were trying to kill people.

:O That "sub" could pound?!?
post #16 of 33 Old 03-23-2007, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts View Post

:O That "sub" could pound?!?

Crank the volume up and you bet.
post #17 of 33 Old 03-28-2007, 08:10 AM

My friend had this system it was bad to say the least. Would not recommend it to anyone...
post #18 of 33 Old 03-28-2007, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Crank the volume up and you bet.

Maybe the Amp blew up?

There is always someone out there that gives you opinion of a product that they don't even own.
post #19 of 33 Old 03-28-2007, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.no.other. View Post

Maybe the Amp blew up?

huh?
post #20 of 33 Old 03-28-2007, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey, if it works for you, who are we to trash it?

post #21 of 33 Old 03-28-2007, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have one and I like to feel The bass! Better than my Cyber acoustics Sub!

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #22 of 33 Old 03-29-2007, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Hey, if it works for you, who are we to trash it?

Exactly, it was $39 and it sounds 100x better than my tv speakers and adds some bass so that's all that matters to me. I just think most people on here that spend hundreds and possibly thousands of dollars on audio can't stand the fact that someone likes the sound of something that is so cheap.
post #23 of 33 Old 04-02-2007, 06:31 PM

Kudos to you StinDaWg I saw those very same speakers are thought that would be a sufficient upgrade from my regular tv speakers, but after reading negative posts and comments about these speakers (from people who've never tried them) I quickly had a change of heart. I'm sure an $800 system would rock way harder than a $39.99 system, but if you have to spend $800 to assure that the sound would be better than a Durabrand HTIB, then way to go Durabrand

Thanx StinDaWg for your honesty; I'll be getting one myself
post #24 of 33 Old 04-03-2007, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post

Kudos to you StinDaWg I saw those very same speakers are thought that would be a sufficient upgrade from my regular tv speakers, but after reading negative posts and comments about these speakers (from people who've never tried them) I quickly had a change of heart. I'm sure an $800 system would rock way harder than a $39.99 system, but if you have to spend $800 to assure that the sound would be better than a Durabrand HTIB, then way to go Durabrand

Thanx StinDaWg for your honesty; I'll be getting one myself

You might as well try it for yourself, even if you don't like it Walmart has a 90 day return policy. The bass really makes a difference on movies and thrillers such as 24 and CSI. Let me know how you like them. I also like how the remote is small and straight to the point.
post #25 of 33 Old 01-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Exactly, it was $39 and it sounds 100x better than my tv speakers and adds some bass so that's all that matters to me. I just think most people on here that spend hundreds and possibly thousands of dollars on audio can't stand the fact that someone likes the sound of something that is so cheap.

Yet another thread~~~~back from the dead.

6 years later and left on 24/7, mine is still thumping along.

Sounds just as great as it did from day one.....and yes that most definitely is intended as compliment.

Still own yours?
post #26 of 33 Old 01-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozerider View Post

I saw your comment just now and I'm laughing at you.
post #27 of 33 Old 01-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

it's only a matter of time

I beg to differ.
post #28 of 33 Old 01-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan4ever80 View Post

My friend had this system it was bad to say the least. Would not recommend it to anyone...

Both you and your friend should consider getting your ears checked..and pronto. Hope that you haven't gone completely deaf since '07
post #29 of 33 Old 01-14-2012, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Some times we "decide" the sound quality based on the label we are seeing in that moment and not in what we are listening.

I must say as a former owner of a Durabrand HT-390 (or something like that) that this "HT" (at least for me) worthed every penny I paid for it ($80 in México in 2005) and more, the bass for a 5 1/4 is impressive, satellites´ sound quality sucked, but still was an improvement over my TV speakers, there was no Dolby, only stereo sound with a simulated Dolby sound effect.

When I first listended my HTIB Denon, the sound compared with the durabrand was not very different, for a moment I thought that I wasted my money for almost nothing, with time and some use sound improved, but not much, had to change speakers for Pioneer´s Andrew Jones line so listed a big difference.

I´ve read that many durabrand devices where faulty, but in my case never had a single problem for 6 years, I believe I was lucky. This HT is stored in a box, may be I´ll use it with my pc.
post #30 of 33 Old 01-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlalotoani View Post

the bass for a 5 1/4 is impressive, satellites´ sound quality sucked, but still was an improvement over my TV speakers, there was no Dolby, only stereo sound with a simulated Dolby sound effect.

The overall sound quality can be pushed further with a little source signal equalizing. Cut out most of the "bright sounding" midrange, push the treble, and go heavy on the low-end. The overall range dynamic balances out nicely.

True that it is not do "official" Dolby surround. However, its signal processor does a fine job simulating surround by channeling proper elements to the rear channels. It seems completely legit. The rear speakers spring to life when appropriate, and stay dormant when not needed. This is pretty amazing stuff out of such an inexpensive setup.

Quote:
I´ve read that many durabrand devices where faulty, but in my case never had a single problem for 6 years, I believe I was lucky. This HT is stored in a box, may be I´ll use it with my pc.

Me too, six years as well, and still going strong. These particular Durabrand HT-3917 units were actually manufactured by Lenoxx, they were not sourced from Funai (which is very well known for QC issues).

Many of the cyberspace complaints for this unit were left by apparently clueless or blatantly biased shills. Much of the negative commenting didn't even apply to this particular model, or make any sense. The coherent posts typically rated the product from average to very good...those are the legitimate descriptions.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page