IR IN Jack / Multiroom for Onkyo S907 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-29-2007, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am anxiously waiting for an Onkyo S907 HTIB that I ordered last week to arrive, and am trying to get a better understanding of what my options are for having a remote infrared sensor to allow me to control this system from another room. The TX-SR604 manual on page 82 discusses the IR IN Jack and multiroom kits, and the DV-CP704 on pages 13 and 21 discusses the RI (Remote Interactive) connectors. If I simply want one IR sensor in my theater room that is next door to where this equipment will be, what do I need to acquire?

Is this the least expensive Niles kit? I really only need one sensor that I can mount near the center speaker.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.ph...rdcdID=FG01067

I can't find a Xantech kit, but maybe I can put together something from here.

http://xantech.com/products/v2_products.htm

Would this work and be my lowest cost solution?

http://www.smarthome.com/8108.html

I have one of those old pyramid IR extenders from years ago, where you can put the IR receiver/RF transmitter in one room and the IR transmitter/RF receiver in the other room, and then stick a tiny IR transmitter on the equipment to be controlled. Do the Niles and Xantech units work faster and better than that solution? Does a wire go between the DVD player and the amplifier to where only one solution is needed? If so, is this a simple cable with RCA connectors or something else?

Unrelated question, does the S907 kit come with a HDMI interconnecting cable or with cables for composite only? A photo on page 6 suggests that the DVD player may only come with composite cables, but I was hoping that the kit may contain some additional cables for interconnecting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-29-2007, 08:08 PM

Liked: 13
The RI (remote interactive) function connects all Onkyo components together and makes them function as one. For example, by connecting the DVD to the Receiver and turning on the DVD player will turn on the DVD player and Receiver and set the receiver to the DVD input automatically.

I installed the S907 in a basement theatre room last week and I was very impressed with it. I already have an Onkyo receiver, and some Athena speakers, but found the Onkyo speakers to be excellent. They also look great mounted on the wall. The receiver with the 907 is also superb; I particularly liked the HDMI pass through function. The DVD player with the set was excellent, and within 2 days of hooking it up I bought the same DVD player for my setup. Hiding it away is almost sad, as it really is a good looking piece of equipment.

Much like your situation,we tucked away all the equipment in a storage room. We used an IR receiver which connects to the DVD player and Receiver. Its very simple, you just need to expose a sensor to receive the remote commands. The command then passes through a wire and to the Receiver or DVD player by a node that is stuck onto the piece of equipment infront of the IR. The one we used was called Hot Link, and can be found here:

http://www.hot-link.com/

However, I am sure the market is flooded with different options for this. Either way, also hooking up the Onkyo RI function should improve it too.

Enjoy your set, I certainly was impressed with it.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-30-2007, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH930 View Post

The RI (remote interactive) function connects all Onkyo components together and makes them function as one. For example, by connecting the DVD to the Receiver and turning on the DVD player will turn on the DVD player and Receiver and set the receiver to the DVD input automatically.

Thanks much. This helps me understand what RI is useful for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH930 View Post

The command then passes through a wire and to the Receiver or DVD player by a node that is stuck onto the piece of equipment infront of the IR. The one we used was called Hot Link, and can be found here:

http://www.hot-link.com/

This is where I'm still a bit confused. I thought that maybe I could simply use an IR receiver without needing to purchase an entire system comprised of connecting blocks, IR emitters, power supply, etc. Maybe something like this with a 1/8" plug and the receiver supplies the power. Otherwise, what is the point of the IR IN jack if you have to stick an IR emitter on the front of the receiver?

http://xantech.com/products/p_folder/p_480.htm
http://xantech.com/products/p_folder/p_78010.htm
post #4 of 6 Old 02-01-2007, 08:10 AM

Liked: 13
I'm sorry but I can't be of help on the IR input on the receiver. My TX SR573 does not have this input, and if it did I am sure I would have messed around with it by now.

I've had a look at the manual for your 604 and it appears the jack goes straight in the back, bypassing the box and emitters on the hot link i recommended. With the Jack in the back of the 604 from the IR Receiver, the Onkyo RI function then takes over to control your Onkyo components. The only problem with this is if you have other equipment tucked away, for example, a Cable box. These would still require what I call an emitter from the hot link to make it function. Therefore, the cable plugged into the back of the 604 would have to be put into the hot link box and all emitters hooked up.

I hope that helps, rather than hinders. Let me know how it works out, I am curious.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-08-2007, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

I've had the S907 for about a week now and am very satisfied. I'm hoping to get a screen and some final cables I have on order tomorrow then finish setting things up. You bring up a good point about needing emitters for the cable box, VCR, etc. After getting everything else set up I think I'll order a Hot-Link.

I was originally going to mount the receiving eye above the screen on the center speaker, but in reading about the Hot-Link, it sound like that eye is so sensitive to receiving IR but what I might be better off not extending it (which decreases it's sensitivity due to the longer coax) and putting it to the side of the room on a wall opposite where the equipment (and Hot-Link) is. There may be enough IR scatter bunching off walls but what pointing it directly at the eye isn't necessary. Have you found the receiving eye this sensitive to where you don't have to point your remotes at it? My theater is going to be painted with dark colors and flat paint.

Thanks for the info on Hot-Link.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-15-2007, 08:55 AM

If you place the output of the connecting block into the IR in on your Onkyo, then you shouldn't need the IR emitter to go in front. Also, you should be able to take the IR out from your Onkyo and attach emitters to it to control your other equipment if that is more convenient.

What I have found frustrating is I just bought an Onkyo SR-804 and it looks like I now need a connecting block with power to it to be able to use the IR in. My 9 year old Kenwood's IR in didn't require the use of a connecting block. It must have been self-contained. Also an even older Onkyo that I have has an MR(?) input that I could use with an Onkyo MR IR receiver to control it remotely. But that MR unit does not work with the 804.

I would certainly appreciate any thoughts on what I might have missed.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page