***Official HTIB Alternatives Thread*** - Page 108 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3211 of 3363 Old 07-31-2009, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe I read somewhere that most modern-day AVR's do NOT have S-Video jacks for their non-digital inputs. Is this correct?

Does anyone know of a good AVR that DOES have S-Video jacks as well as HDMI, and that decode audio from the HDMI inputs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3363 Old 08-01-2009, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Yeah, they're phasing out S-video as more TVs and source components are moving to HDMI.

Onkyo's new x07 series (such as the TX-SR607) don't have them. The x06 series still do, and are still available (though probably not for too much longer.) The TX-SR606, 706 and on up do audio over HDMI.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3213 of 3363 Old 08-01-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Yeah, they're phasing out S-video as more TVs and source components are moving to HDMI.

Onkyo's new x07 series (such as the TX-SR607) don't have them. The x06 series still do, and are still available (though probably not for too much longer.) The TX-SR606, 706 and on up do audio over HDMI.

Thanks for the reply, and the tip on the Onkyo n06 series. I've always liked Onkyo gear, but lately had been looking at Pioneer and Yamaha. Now, it appears that Onkyo can fit my wants.

I have a neat little JVC 4-IN, 1-OUT switcher that switches S-Video, composite, and audio that I could use. But, I had hoped to let my new AVR do that for me. I've looked at a picture of the back panel, and it appears that the 706 has connectivity for just about everything I have.

I've read reviews on the 606 that weren't particularly complimentary of its video upscaling; and, since it only outputs 1080i, I wouldn't be interested. I have a Mitsubishi HC4900 projector that is 1080p. Also, the newer 806 got some bad ink for several things. So, it looks as if its the 706 for me. Amazon still lists them.

I doubt that heat will be a problem for me, as I have all my components on an open tower, with 12+ inches between shelves. I would most likely consign the 706 to a top shelf, with nothing but air above it.

I've been looking at the Polk Audio TSi200 for my mains, their matching center channel unit, and I believe the TSi100 for the rear. I have read that they have a "warm" bassy sound, which I like. I don't like "boom box" sound, but I've been a "big box" fan all my life. (My main music system has big Bozak Concert Grands.)

I don't really want to run side speakers, nor do I have a need for Zone 2 output. Would it hurt anything to leave those outputs not connected?

Thanks again.

Lakeside
post #3214 of 3363 Old 08-01-2009, 06:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesidejim View Post

I don't really want to run side speakers, nor do I have a need for Zone 2 output. Would it hurt anything to leave those outputs not connected?

Not at all. You can just turn off all the unneeded speakers in the audio menu. Default is 7.1, but you can do 5.1, 3.1, and 2.1 with this AVR. And you can turn off the subwoofer, too, if you wanted to do 5.0 or something. Zone 2 is off by default, I think.

When you say side speakers (meaning surround), do you mean going 5.1 with just two surrounds, or do you mean 3.1 with no surrounds? Because in 5.1 you should turn off and not connect the surround BACK speakers and hook up the SIDE surround speakers, even if those end up being placed somewhere behind you. 7.1 adds back speakers to a 5.1 setup, (a common misconception is that it adds side speakers, but it doesn't.) Just an FYI. If you're going 3.1, with only fronts, then just turn off all surrounds and you're good to go.

post #3215 of 3363 Old 08-02-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Not at all. You can just turn off all the unneeded speakers in the audio menu. Default is 7.1, but you can do 5.1, 3.1, and 2.1 with this AVR. And you can turn off the subwoofer, too, if you wanted to do 5.0 or something. Zone 2 is off by default, I think.

When you say side speakers (meaning surround), do you mean going 5.1 with just two surrounds, or do you mean 3.1 with no surrounds? Because in 5.1 you should turn off and not connect the surround BACK speakers and hook up the SIDE surround speakers, even if those end up being placed somewhere behind you. 7.1 adds back speakers to a 5.1 setup, (a common misconception is that it adds side speakers, but it doesn't.) Just an FYI. If you're going 3.1, with only fronts, then just turn off all surrounds and you're good to go.

Indeed, I had that misconception. I want the surround speakers to my rear. For a long time I've been using a Sony EP9ES surround sound processor, and selecting 5.1 Dolby Surround Mode. I had my Jamo Art speakers at rear corners of the listening area, pointed at an angle toward my listening "spot".

Is there really a significant difference between the sound delivered to the "side" vs. "rear" speakers in 7.1 mode? When listening/watching my favorite demo DVD's ("Top Gun" and "Blade Runner") in 5.1 mode, it was quite easy to note the rear information, even though I had balanced the output using the Sony's Test mode, and made sure the levels were not in the "plus" range on the rear speakers.
post #3216 of 3363 Old 08-02-2009, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is there really a significant difference between the sound delivered to the "side" vs. "rear" speakers in 7.1 mode?

Well, it depends on the source, but some select Blu-Rays have 7.1 discrete, meaning they were mixed for 7.1 systems. There aren't very many 7.1 Blu-Rays at present, though.

5.1 material (the vast majority of DVDs and Blu-Rays) can be expanded to 7.1 using ProLogicIIx. Some "purists" maintain that you shouldn't watch DVDs that way, but I've yet to see any legit technical reason not to do so. It only derives two extra channels from the surrounds and doesn't touch any other channels. Plus, proponents of PrologicIIx say it provides the more encompassing experience that 7.1 provides. It's not critical (we are only talking about surround info, after all), but it is nice to have.

post #3217 of 3363 Old 08-02-2009, 08:15 PM

Tulpa!

What a great username! ... But forgive me if I don't clear a person sized hole for you in my perception of reality.

Anyway, just to add to the 7.1 vs 5.1 conversation: In my case I went with a 7.1 system because I do and will play games that have full 7.1 sound tracks (Resistance 2 for example.) Since I have these games now, and reasonably expect more games to be available with 7.1 sound, it seemed like a logical choice for me. For The Wife and I, games are what we mostly use our entertainment system for, with movies being second.

As always, thanks for taking the time to read whatever I've posted above this signature.
post #3218 of 3363 Old 08-07-2009, 10:20 AM

WOW!!! Just had a chance to see LIVE an Onkyo TX-SR706 (Black) at a local retailer (HH Gregg). They didn't have it hooked up, so couldn't listen; but, listening in a gigantic hall-like store with mis-matched speakers is hardly a viable listening test, anyway.

But, the "Wow" comes from looking at the back panel! Man, what an array of input capabilities. Darn near every video-type input had an S-Video jack. And, surprise of surprises: it also has a Phono input! I didn't expect that! Not one set of specs I saw anywhere mentioned that. I know it is considered primarily an audio/VIDEO receiver, but it has radio capability as well; why not mention the "other" audio input as well? I would most likely replace a bunch of my separates with it, so the phono input is essentially a deal-maker for me. In case anyone is interested, here is a link to a comprehensive review from what seems to be a professional reviewer, with the "Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity" web site:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/recei...-receiver.html

I also read some of the 1-star and 2-star reviews on Amazon.com, and a number of reviewers there (admittedly non-professionals) dinged the 706 because, when more than 2 speakers are connected, it delivers lower than the claimed 100+ watts to each output. Still others dinged it because of artifacts (blue spreckles) when viewing Blu-ray discs. Still others complained that "it Clips Black below Black & White above white" in video. Others complained that the impedance of the inputs required higher volume level settings than with other receivers, especially in the phono stage.

The reason I mention all of those dings is to solicit comments from this esteemed group of users.

As always, I appreciate all your comments and suggestion.

Lakeside
post #3219 of 3363 Old 08-07-2009, 11:28 AM

Hi guys, I'm totally new to Home Theatre Audio systems and would like some recommendations.
I have a LN52A650 Samsung LCD, a kick ass HTPC running XBMC, and can get a hold of a very good BK amplifier (no HDMI though, but i should be able to use an optical connector).

For the time being, I've been using a cheapo 2.1 PC setup for the audio... Yeah, I know it's crap...

What' I'm interested to do is progressively update my system with real speakers. I'm thinking to do this in 3-4 steps:
Step 1: 2x Floor standing speakers for R/L
Step 1': Center Channel Speaker
Step 2: Sub
Step 3: 2x/4x Surround Speakers (Not sure whether 7.1 is really necessary)

So I guess my question is as follow:
Right now I'm willing to spend somewhere in the range of $400-500 for step 1 + 1'. Do you think I can get something nice in that range? Can you recommend any specific models?
And i guess: I'm I better off spending all of it only on step 1 only, and add a center speaker down the line?

I highly appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks in advance,

- Cas
post #3220 of 3363 Old 08-20-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:

WOW!!! Just had a chance to see LIVE an Onkyo TX-SR706 (Black) at a local retailer (HH Gregg). They didn't have it hooked up, so couldn't listen; but, listening in a gigantic hall-like store with mis-matched speakers is hardly a viable listening test, anyway.

Lakeside

An even bigger WOW!!!

I chanced across a used Onkyo TX-SR805 on Ebay and won it. FANTASTIC! More power than the 70x series, S-video connections, HDMI pass through and codecs for ALL current Dolby, DTS, and THX modes. Very impressive. Even the phono stage works like a champ.

With this unit I have replaced some 6 or more separate components.

A couple of comments: one poster suggested that I connect surround speakers to the rear channels if only using 5.1 mode. Only problem: if I turn OFF the side surrounds, I lose the rear surround capability.

Another question: I'm running the output from my Dish receiver via composite video and audio cable into the Onkyo. But, it appears the video and audio are just a bit out of sync--not much, mind you, but somewhat noticeable. I am aware of the "A/V Sync" setting for audio DELAY, but I don't want to delay it anymore--need to speed it up a bit. Any suggestions?
post #3221 of 3363 Old 08-20-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 388
If you're using 5.1, you're supposed to connect the speakers to the side surrounds anyway. the rear surrounds are for 7.1 use.

The actually terminology on the 805 receiver is Surround L and Surround R. The Surround Back speakers are for 7.1.

Afro GT
post #3222 of 3363 Old 08-20-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

If you're using 5.1, you're supposed to connect the speakers to the side surrounds anyway. the rear surrounds are for 7.1 use.

The actually terminology on the 805 receiver is Surround L and Surround R. The Surround Back speakers are for 7.1.

My bad! I went back and re-read Tulpa's post/answer to me, and I just misunderstood what he wrote.

One other question. I have a Mitsubishi HC4900, which is a 1080p projector, and which I connect to the HDMI OUT jack. On the "info" section of the projector's Menu, it will list the resolution of whatever signal it is currently being fed. When I play an HD DVD through my Toshiba HD-A3, it correctly shows 1080i, the maximum capability of the A3. However, it was my understanding that the Onkyo would up-convert signals. When I play a source capable of only 480 or 720, that's all that seems to reach my Mits projector, according to the INfo screen. Did I misunderstand what the Onkyo does?
post #3223 of 3363 Old 08-24-2009, 07:08 AM

lakesidejim, I think 1080i and 720p are quite close, got a feeling 720p is "better" tho

Im looking to put together two new surround systems, one for my pc (I use it for everything xD, movies, games, music, tv etc) and one for our sitting room, which will probably be 95% tv, then music and films for the last 5%. parents aren't big on films . Got a home built HTPC which does everything.

so for the receiver (for both systems) doesn't need a massive amount of inputs and outputs, just one or two. would like 7.1 capability. recommendations ? not sure what to spend on receivers, but around £100 (160dollars at a guess)

for the speakers was thinking about these wharfedale diamond 9.0 for £49.95

not sure about the sub's, richersounds only have £100+ subs at least on the site, Id rather spend about 70 or so. what do you guys recommend?
post #3224 of 3363 Old 08-25-2009, 04:46 AM

update

looking around, seems like wharfdale diamond 9.0's are pretty good for use as satellites. richer sounds have them for £49 a pair at the moment. notsure if i should get a 9cc center, use a single 9.0 or a pair of 9.0's for the center... i think a 9cc is avalible for £70ish. richer sounds have a gale aria ar70 for £49 aswell.

so cost for the satalites is £150 to £170
no idea what sub or AV reciver to get, seems like theres hardly any subs below £100 and same for recivers

do i really need to spend 400quid (when you take into account cables and traveling and bits and bobs...

theres also a package like...
WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9 HCP HOME CINEMA SPEAKER SYSTEM - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/p...roduct_id/2210 for details

or ive just found this
ONKYO HTX22HD 2.1 HIGH DEFINITION DECODER/AMPLIFIER/SPEAKER SYSTEM - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/p...roduct_id/4162 for details and the addon to 5.1 ONKYO SKS11 5.1 SPEAKER UPGRADE PACKAGE FOR HTX22HD - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/p...roduct_id/4174 for details

ill haveto see if i can do toslink from my xfi...
post #3225 of 3363 Old 09-10-2009, 09:32 PM

Has anyone in the forum bought speakers from TSC? They offer incredibly low prices for what appear to be decent, if somewhat small, speakers. For instance, their center channel speaker has 2 5" woofers and a 3/4" tweeter, and it runs about $60 shipped to you. Even better, they offer a money-back guarantee you'll be satisfied; they even pick up the cost of return shipping.
post #3226 of 3363 Old 09-11-2009, 11:14 AM

Can anyone provide me with an opinion as to whether the SONY HTSS360 5.1 Channel HTS is worth the money? Unfortunately I'm on a tight budget and have no intention of wasting money! Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me! :-)

MAX(imilian) ... and yes, I love Mangos!!!
post #3227 of 3363 Old 09-12-2009, 10:07 AM

Hey I am looking to spend $250-300. Could go up to $350 if I had to. What should I get? I have a panasonic TC-P50G10 tv and a panasonic bd-60 blu ray player. Thanks!
post #3228 of 3363 Old 09-27-2009, 09:14 PM

Just gotta say love AVS, been reading up on here for a few days now. I was leaning towards getting a refurbed Denon DHT-589BA. I owned a cheap Philips hts3555 that died on me and want to get more bang for my buck.

Looks like I will be doing some more research on this thread alone, but everything in me tells me to buy that 589BA. Got PS3, Direct TV, 360 & Wii that I wanna be able to hook up this time around. Never going the Philips route again.
post #3229 of 3363 Old 10-13-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsaudiovideo View Post

I have been reading this thread thinking about putting my own system together and just noticed an ad on this AVS forum site about SLS Q line gold htib system.
Seems like an online dealer www.av-express.com has these units back in stock. I have heard a lot of good things about this sytem on AVS threads . $419 with free freight is pretty good deal considering the best price I could find for the receiver in this system was $249. Some people in the past have mentioned that the speakers alone are worth $500. I'll check back if I decide to pull the trigger.

This is interesting, I just read a post made today by Jimsaudiovideo in the great found deals section, singing the praises of the SRS Q line gold and pushing purchases from av-express.com. There, another member questioned the quality of these systems and Jim replied claiming that he has had this system in his basement since he purchased it from Best Buy for $500---back when BB still carried them---and Jim said he loved the quality.

But Jim's post here, made a over a week before he claimed to have one in his basement since purchasing from Best Buy, suggests that he's never heard the system in person. (But he did give a shout-out to av-express.com). Hmmm.... Of Jim's 22 posts on AVS as of the time of this posting, all 22 of them attempted to send users to either erseaudio.com or av-express.com. Curiously, the Erse Audio postings suddenly stopped in February '09 after someone questioned Jim's motives in repeatedly steering users to Erse Audio here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15716047

Since Jim started posting again in August, every single post he makes is an advertisement for av-express.com (a site that is anonymously registered, btw.)

As the last user who questioned Jim's motives suggested, full disclosure of vested interests is always appreciated.

As for my own interest, it's really none of my business other than the fact something here seems fiihy and dishonest, and that really irks me. I don't want to steer this thread away from HTIB alternatives, but this information seems like it might be relevant to people looking to this forum for honest and unbiased advice.

Back to HTIB alternatives. I see Frye's still has the R50's for a pretty good price. I'm looking for a good bang-for-the-buck speaker to recommend for a friend---are the R50's the best deal going right now for towers, or does someone have another suggestion for the same or less money?
post #3230 of 3363 Old 10-13-2009, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

^There's a lot of viral marketing on AVS Forums. Probably the worst aspect of this forum but it's there.
post #3231 of 3363 Old 10-14-2009, 09:31 AM

I was using 3 of those center channel speakers across my front. It's their LCR3 package. Sounds really good. I've replaced them with some old Boston A40's which are even better. Once the A40's get re-purposed I'll put the TSC speakers back.
Tiga

Quote:

Has anyone in the forum bought speakers from TSC? They offer incredibly low prices for what appear to be decent, if somewhat small, speakers. For instance, their center channel speaker has 2 5" woofers and a 3/4" tweeter, and it runs about $60 shipped to you. Even better, they offer a money-back guarantee you'll be satisfied; they even pick up the cost of return shipping.

post #3232 of 3363 Old 10-14-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDallas721 View Post

Just gotta say love AVS, been reading up on here for a few days now. I was leaning towards getting a refurbed Denon DHT-589BA. I owned a cheap Philips hts3555 that died on me and want to get more bang for my buck.

Looks like I will be doing some more research on this thread alone, but everything in me tells me to buy that 589BA. Got PS3, Direct TV, 360 & Wii that I wanna be able to hook up this time around. Never going the Philips route again.

You've got 4 different video devices there. Two or three that use HDMI and at least one that doesnt. If you are planning to connect all the video directly to your HDTV then no big deal. But if you plan to run it thru the 589 receiver you only have 2 HDMI inputs and it does not convert the other inputs to HDMI. You'd have run multiple video cables from receiver to the TV.

You're going to want a different receiver. I would suggest a Denon 1610/590 as a minimum. That way you can run all the devices thru the receiver and it will send everything out thru one HDMI cable to the TV. The 1610 had 3 HDMI instead of 2 and it also process audio.

Afro GT
post #3233 of 3363 Old 10-22-2009, 04:30 PM
CFX

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,
I'm looking into buying a new Home Theatre System to match with my Elite 141FD. Relative to the TV, I want to buy something less expensive. I've capped myself at around $550 for the home theatre. I have a couple requirements and ideas that I would like to bounce off you guys. As always, I appreciate your comments and expertise.

I require a receiver with at least 4 HDMI inputs that is able to decode the DTS-HD and other Blu Ray formats. My home theatre is small at the moment but I am looking to move into another house in the near future. I was originally thinking of floor speakers but after researching for great lengths I still did not come to a conclusion as to what is the best for my money. I was looking at some Polk Monitor 50 and 60. If a book shelf speaker will sound better than I am open to that as well. For now, the system will be a 5.1 but will expand to 7.1 when I get into a new home. I am looking at both 5.1 and 7.1 as options right now. I'd like whatever receiver I buy to have 7.1. For speakers, I would also like to have a wood/cherry option.

I was originally looking into the Onkyo S6200 HTIB for my all in one solution. I think you can't go wrong with Onkyo. I also looked into the Onkyo S6100 which is the older model that has larger speakers (14" as opposed to 9" I believe). I believe the larger speakers would equate to better sound quality as the two fronts on the S6100 have two woofers and one tweeter as opposed to the S6200's one woofer and one tweeter design. The receiver included on the S6100 can also upconvert analog to HDMI which is nice but not a feature that is a make-or-break. I've also read some reports from users on here that their S6100 receivers have had problems with the HDMI cards so I'm already hesitant to purchase that particular model.

What I was really hoping for was someone on this forum to confirm that for the money, the S6200 is a good deal. Moreover, I was hoping someone could put together a list of components (receiver + speakers) that would give me a better bang for my buck. I already have a high quality subwoofer from Bose that I think will suffice so perhaps that would let me spend more money to find better speakers/receiver. I've seen on newegg that the Polk Audio RM6750 home theatre speaker system is highly rated, followed by the Energy Take 5 Pack. For individual speakers I've been looking at the Polk Monitor series.

As always, I appreciate your responses. Thanks again for your help!
post #3234 of 3363 Old 11-01-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFX View Post

Hello,
I was originally looking into the Onkyo S6200 HTIB for my all in one solution. I think you can't go wrong with Onkyo. I also looked into the Onkyo S6100 which is the older model that has larger speakers (14" as opposed to 9" I believe). I believe the larger speakers would equate to better sound quality as the two fronts on the S6100 have two woofers and one tweeter as opposed to the S6200's one woofer and one tweeter design. The receiver included on the S6100 can also upconvert analog to HDMI which is nice but not a feature that is a make-or-break. I've also read some reports from users on here that their S6100 receivers have had problems with the HDMI cards so I'm already hesitant to purchase that particular model.

What I was really hoping for was someone on this forum to confirm that for the money, the S6200 is a good deal.

Im also deciding between these two but cant decide. I know the 6200 has Zone 2 audio but Im not really sure how useful that would be in reality. Also, I know the 6200 cannot upscale (I don't want it to as my PS3 and Samsung plasma make things beautiful already) but will it fire a component sources through HDMI? However here is the real make or break concern. I cannot figure out which is going to have better speakers. The 6200 has smaller speakers with larger drivers and "full range surrounds" compared to the 6100 that has larger speakers with smaller drivers and "two way surrounds." I will use this for music and movies. Any help or insights would be appreciated as I cannot seem to find a concrete answer anywhere.

Also, I have been all over AVS looking for an answer and I am a first time poster. I think this is a good place to put this question but if not sorry.
post #3235 of 3363 Old 11-01-2009, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehawaiin View Post

Im also deciding between these two but cant decide. I know the 6200 has Zone 2 audio but Im not really sure how useful that would be in reality.

It's useful if you want to set up separate speakers in another room and listen to different sources.

Quote:

Also, I know the 6200 cannot upscale (I don't want it to as my PS3 and Samsung plasma make things beautiful already) but will it fire a component sources through HDMI?

Nope - if you have a component video source going into the receiver, you need a component cable going out to the TV for video. I don't think it's a big deal but it's important to some.

Quote:

However here is the real make or break concern. I cannot figure out which is going to have better speakers. The 6200 has smaller speakers with larger drivers and "full range surrounds" compared to the 6100 that has larger speakers with smaller drivers and "two way surrounds." I will use this for music and movies. Any help or insights would be appreciated as I cannot seem to find a concrete answer anywhere.

Who knows? I doubt many people have compared them head-to-head for sound but maybe someone here actually has (sorry, I just don't know). However, the speakers on these things usually aren't the best but they might be good enough. If this is your first surround system you'll have a lot of fun with either watching movies. But don't expect either the 6100 or 6200 to do very well with 2 channel music, you'll need better speakers. The good thing is that either receiver should be good enough to add better speakers or sub later if you find it'll be necessary. I'd say look at the features on the receiver first when making your decision.

Quote:

Also, I have been all over AVS looking for an answer and I am a first time poster. I think this is a good place to put this question but if not sorry.

You're good. Make a new post in the main section if you have any more specific questions. Nobody will mind. These stickied threads get overlooked a lot more.
post #3236 of 3363 Old 11-13-2009, 08:15 PM

Hi,

I haven't been here in a while but I'm looking for a second setup for a bedroom. Here is what I'm looking at:

Quintet III ($250) being replace by Quintet 4
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

or

Energy Take 5 Pack ($150) - really good reviews
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882269004

My current setup is R50/R150,CSR.

What do you guys think would be better setup in terms of best bang for the buck?
post #3237 of 3363 Old 11-14-2009, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are you saying you're planning to replace the R50/R150,CSR set-up with one of these lesser rigs?? I'm confused.
post #3238 of 3363 Old 11-14-2009, 04:44 PM

No, I'm sorry, I'm just looking for a second setup for the bedroom. That's why I asked I want something smaller in size and good performance...I can't demo any of these satellite speakers, so that's why I'm asking if anyone can suggest if its a better option than the R series?
post #3239 of 3363 Old 11-15-2009, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4wj4 View Post

No, I'm sorry, I'm just looking for a second setup for the bedroom. That's why I asked I want something smaller in size and good performance...I can't demo any of these satellite speakers, so that's why I'm asking if anyone can suggest if its a better option than the R series?

Based on the specs, neither of these should be better than the R series.
post #3240 of 3363 Old 11-16-2009, 07:01 PM

All opinions appreciated. Deciding between the nice Onkyo 9100 (all included) vs. a set up that would use the Energy 5.0 as 4 sats and a center. I would need to add a sub. OR since I have a high end front speaker pair (Thiel 3.5's), a good 7.1 receiver (Yamaha 2700) should I try to match them as the Thiels will handle audio very nicely although not sure how they will work with the Energy's.

Any ideas/ thoughts??

Thanks
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page