Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 3363 Old 04-18-2007, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrowdy View Post

They seem to be NR auctions so they go to the highest bidder regardless of price. I am also going for the 240/340, leaning towards the 340 if I can get a deal.

So I'm not the person to really be asking about the EZset/EQ, but there's a good HK247 thread over in the receivers forum where someone detailed the differences between all the auto-setups. It seems the EZset/EQ (not the EZset/+) does an extra level of equalization and jibberjabber and floppityfloop that none of the others but the Denon do and it supposedly makes the bass much tighter and more responsive. Supposedly it's also much easier to use than the Denon version and works better. If it's not in that thread, poke around in there until you find it. Twas very informative.

D

Cool, thanks. I like floppityfloop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 3363 Old 04-18-2007, 10:35 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagash View Post

I'm glad you're happy with your purchase, just stating from my perspective why I didn't purchase one, as the PP asked for opinions.

Also, this is a moot point for now, as these are no longer available at BB, and are pretty pricey from SLS.

Good points guys.
I guess the logic of the SLS system is still the same as most of the setups here.
1. Spend more to get great sounding speakers
2. Match it with a good receiver which your money can afford
3. Throw in a suitable sub (again money constraints apply)
4. Upgrade receiver/sub as your needs and money in the pocket grow!!

I guess SLS system got the accolades because it is based on the same soul as the systems discussed here. But as Pagash has said, its a moot point as they are no longer available. These good deals will pass you by so fast. You blink and they are gone!!! :-)

This begs a thought though.. should I wait and hope that SLS is again offered at 300 dollars. :-)
post #393 of 3363 Old 04-18-2007, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
ruhnie - the 504 will drive these speakers without a problem. They are easy to drive. I used the Onk 520 from the 770 to drive my first Polk set. When I sold the 770, I moved to one of the HK235s off ebay. Immediately, noticed more detail and punch, the added features, BM and OSD, also were a real treat. The HK235 is a little tank, weighs 33lbs. Though rated at 50wpc, all channels driven, subjectively (and maybe objectively), it had more guts...nice upgrade in SQ. A few months later a friend offered me a little 2 channel Audiosource amp 80wpc. I plugged this into my fronts and they came alive. These were Polk R50s, the top of the bottom end of their lineup at the time and they sure got better...clarity, detail, soundstage, punch. I still use this amp bridged mono, 200wpc, on my center channel. I've upgraded my fronts to vintage Polk SDA 1Cs. These were $1800 a pair when sold in the 80s and if they were made today probably would go for 4-5gs. Rated 50-500wpc channel @ 6ohms, I needed a bit more than the HK or Audiosource could deliver, so I researched pro amps and vintage 2 channel amps that could be had for under $400. I found a Carver TFM 35, 2/250 @ 8ohms, 2/400wpc @ 4ohms. It's a match made in heaven. I'm still using the HK as a pre/pro to do all the audio processing and to drive my surrounds. While audiophile friends tell me to get a dedicated and expensive processor to take my system to the next level, I'm extremely happy.

My point is, a receiver with pre-outs can serve you through the upgrade path. Putting separate amps on well made entry level speakers improved the SQ enough that I kept them longer and was happy until I found my dream speakers for a song. Those x-series speakers will improve through a couple of upgrades if you think ahead with the receiver now.

I get carried away...sorry for the blog.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #394 of 3363 Old 04-18-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Cusack View Post

Hey guys I want to get a nice home theater system. I'm going to brandsmart today to listen to the HTS790 by onkyo, but apparently HTIBs are not great sound quality and I should be making my own from different brand names for different parts such as receivers, speakers,center channels,and subwoofers.

I don't want to spend over 400.

I have never had a Surround sound or Home theater system in my life.

I like Bass for my music, but sound quality is also important.

Can you guys help me out here?

Just another thing to take into consideration is that I have a 12x12 bedroom. So I don't know how much I should need.

I just want to be satisfied. haha
post #395 of 3363 Old 04-18-2007, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys, have you heard of YAMBEKA speakers, they got a whole 5.1 setup ging for 199.00 shipped. Are these things junk or what? That just seems to be to god to be true.

How to identify a future projector owner, he's the kid sitting two feet from the 42" plasma.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=954837
post #396 of 3363 Old 04-18-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

ruhnie - the 504 will drive these speakers without a problem. They are easy to drive. I used the Onk 520 from the 770 to drive my first Polk set. When I sold the 770, I moved to one of the HK235s off ebay. Immediately, noticed more detail and punch, the added features, BM and OSD, also were a real treat. The HK235 is a little tank, weighs 33lbs. Though rated at 50wpc, all channels driven, subjectively (and maybe objectively), it had more guts...nice upgrade in SQ. A few months later a friend offered me a little 2 channel Audiosource amp 80wpc. I plugged this into my fronts and they came alive. These were Polk R50s, the top of the bottom end of their lineup at the time and they sure got better...clarity, detail, soundstage, punch. I still use this amp bridged mono, 200wpc, on my center channel. I've upgraded my fronts to vintage Polk SDA 1Cs. These were $1800 a pair when sold in the 80s and if they were made today probably would go for 4-5gs. Rated 50-500wpc channel @ 6ohms, I needed a bit more than the HK or Audiosource could deliver, so I researched pro amps and vintage 2 channel amps that could be had for under $400. I found a Carver TFM 35, 2/250 @ 8ohms, 2/400wpc @ 4ohms. It's a match made in heaven. I'm still using the HK as a pre/pro to do all the audio processing and to drive my surrounds. While audiophile friends tell me to get a dedicated and expensive processor to take my system to the next level, I'm extremely happy.

My point is, a receiver with pre-outs can serve you through the upgrade path. Putting separate amps on well made entry level speakers improved the SQ enough that I kept them longer and was happy until I found my dream speakers for a song. Those x-series speakers will improve through a couple of upgrades if you think ahead with the receiver now.

I get carried away...sorry for the blog.

Heh np man, I really appreciate the insight You've convinced me, I'm going with an HK now for sure. And it looks like the prices are pretty sweet too, I am going to attempt to score an AVR 340 for under $300. Wish me luck!
post #397 of 3363 Old 04-18-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post

Hey guys, have you heard of YAMBEKA speakers, they got a whole 5.1 setup ging for 199.00 shipped. Are these things junk or what? That just seems to be to god to be true.

There's a lot of talk about them, but I really can't find a decent review. The review on this forum is comparing them to KLH speaks, so maybe 'nuff said!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=829805

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2&page=1&pp=30

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=87013
post #398 of 3363 Old 04-18-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjen13 View Post

Any thoughts on a refurb Denon AVR686S? It has Auto EQ with included mic. Also has video upconversion. Basicly same price as Onkyo 504.
Brian

Sounds like no one has heard of it. I was $160 at ecost so I thought I try to compare to THe Onkyo 504.
Brian

P50G20/25
Polk CS125
Polk R150(2)
Acoustech H100
Onkyo TX-SR506
Sony Blu Ray BDP-S350
Harmony Remote 880
post #399 of 3363 Old 04-18-2007, 09:12 PM

Well I couldn't resist! I picked up an HK AVR 340 (refurb but with full warranty) off ebay for $300 shipped. I'm very excited to have the first piece of my HT because it allows me to pick and choose my next pieces now.

I'm trying to pick my speakers now. By my calculations, I can get that Polk Audio set from Fry's for about $325 (before tax). However I was thinkin about getting the AV123 fronts and a sub to start and then getting a center and rears later. I hear that a good 2.1 system can be just as rewarding for HT while getting started. Of course that's a lot more expensive. My last thought was to get the velodyne set and a sub for about the same amount of money. Any thoughts?

Thx for all the input so far guy! Really helpful!

D
post #400 of 3363 Old 04-18-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:

Well I couldn't resist! I picked up an HK AVR 340 (refurb but with full warranty) off ebay for $300 shipped. I'm very excited to have the first piece of my HT because it allows me to pick and choose my next pieces now.

I'm trying to pick my speakers now. By my calculations, I can get that Polk Audio set from Fry's for about $325 (before tax). However I was thinkin about getting the AV123 fronts and a sub to start and then getting a center and rears later. I hear that a good 2.1 system can be just as rewarding for HT while getting started. Of course that's a lot more expensive. My last thought was to get the velodyne set and a sub for about the same amount of money. Any thoughts?

Thx for all the input so far guy! Really helpful!

D

Grats! Which one did you win, the auction that ended first or second? Hopefully I didn't bid on the same one, I went in for $250 on the second one. Looks like they both went for around $270, so either way that's an outstanding deal. Hopefully there will be more up soon
post #401 of 3363 Old 04-19-2007, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

$300 shipped sounds alot better than $550 retail...but anyone else looking at these auctions...be patient...set the price you are willing to spend based on past low bid auctions...look for the ones ending in odd times (like after 11:00PM)...snipe...don't raise the price...bid in the last minute. If you lose 10 auctions, you'll still get one at the low price you want.

$270 for a 340 is a very good deal...just seems like you might have gotten a little excited. Last year a friend of mine got a 635 for $340 shipped...be patient.

edit: not to iimpune your price...I paid $280 shipped for a 235...as I said, a great deal.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #402 of 3363 Old 04-19-2007, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone have any experience with the Axiom lineup of bookshelf speakers? How do they sound? The price may be a little high for a budget HT. They have the M2 ($290), M3 ($330), and M22 $(470).
post #403 of 3363 Old 04-19-2007, 07:34 AM

Very simple question that I sadly do not know the answer to...can I stack my receiver, dvd player and satellite box on top of my subwoofer? I'm trying to determine how to setup best my speaker placement.

Thanks for any input.
post #404 of 3363 Old 04-19-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:

$300 shipped sounds alot better than $550 retail...but anyone else looking at these auctions...be patient...set the price you are willing to spend based on past low bid auctions...look for the ones ending in odd times (like after 11:00PM)...snipe...don't raise the price...bid in the last minute. If you lose 10 auctions, you'll still get one at the low price you want.

$270 for a 340 is a very good deal...just seems like you might have gotten a little excited. Last year a friend of mine got a 635 for $340 shipped...be patient.

edit: not to iimpune your price...I paid $280 shipped for a 235...as I said, a great deal.

I'm sure I could have gotten a better price with some patience, though how much better I'm not sure. I really wanted to just get this first purchase out of the way so I can start pulling the trigger on all my other purchases.

Also, as someone who obsesses over researching all "big" purchases and finding the best value, I'm perfectly satisfied with the 340 for $300. From everything I've read about it and others, it's gonna be extremely hard to find anything new (and I consider it new with the warranty) with the features I want at that price point. In fact, I don't think it's possible.

Like I said, I'm more than satisfied, I'm rather psyched. :-D

Now to pick a speaker set. TSS-1100 for $500? Polk Audio Set for $320? Velodyne Frontrow set with a sub ($200 + $129-250 for the sub)? AV123 x-ls fronts and a cheap sub ($360)? Athena set (forget the pricing)? I'm guessing they're all gonna sound the same except maybe the x-ls 2.1 setup.
post #405 of 3363 Old 04-19-2007, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

I'm guessing they're all gonna sound the same except maybe the x-ls 2.1 setup.

Better keep researching if you think that ...
post #406 of 3363 Old 04-19-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post

Very simple question that I sadly do not know the answer to...can I stack my receiver, dvd player and satellite box on top of my subwoofer? I'm trying to determine how to setup best my speaker placement.

Thanks for any input.

I'm not the audiophile that many other people here are, however I can say that putting your DVD player with sensitive moving parts on top of a box that tends to vibrate the house is probably not the best idea. In fact stacking anything on it seems like you'd be inviting distaster by having stuff vibrate off the top if nothing else.

Just my $0.02...
post #407 of 3363 Old 04-19-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

Better keep researching if you think that ...

Okay I meant they're all gonna sound the same *to me*.

Still though, without being able to hear some of these, I really have no basis for comparison. My understanding is that the AV123 x-ls speakers are a step up from the others and will sound better, especially if I save up to complete the set in the near future. All the others seem to be in the same price range as eachother and at the low pricepoint they'll all have subjective strongpoints and weakpoints but are probably a step down overall. If that's NOT the case then I'll just get the cheaper ones and be satisfied.

I have a feeling the best bet will be the Polk Audio ones since the price at Fry's is deceptively low. Then again, the velodynes seem to be pretty popular and they're certainly marked down atm... *sigh* I'm going in circles so I'm probably just gonna pick something and I'm sure I'll be happy with it for a little while.
post #408 of 3363 Old 04-19-2007, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now to pick a speaker set. TSS-1100 for $500? Polk Audio Set for $320? Velodyne Frontrow set with a sub ($200 + $129-250 for the sub)? AV123 x-ls fronts and a cheap sub ($360)? Athena set (forget the pricing)? I'm guessing they're all gonna sound the same except maybe the x-ls 2.1 setup.

x-series = excellent SQ
Polks = extremely good for the money

Both the Infinity set and the CHT sets will be fine for HT, but will lack the midrange and midbass of the 2 above, but are easily mountable. Good luck.

Again, you did fine on the AVR...

post #409 of 3363 Old 04-19-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:

x-series = excellent SQ
Polks = extremely good for the money

Both the Infinity set and the CHT sets will be fine for HT, but will lack the midrange and midbass of the 2 above, but are easily mountable. Good luck.

Again, you did fine on the AVR...

Hey, no worries. I know you're trying to help everyone out here not just me. All your advice so far has been extremely valuable, and it's appreciated. The advice above on the speakers is a great example.

Thx,
D
post #410 of 3363 Old 04-19-2007, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

Okay I meant they're all gonna sound the same *to me*.

No, I really don't think they would. Not on the first day, and not after a few months of listening to different things. The differences aren't subtle, at least not all of the differences - they're really different flavors. (Though it's most noticeable if you can switch back and forth between the two, for sure,which isn't going to happen.)

And certainly if you put all your money in the front speakers, you'll get audibly better quality speakers, something you'd hear right away and appreciate even more over time.

BTW, the bottom line on the Velodynes is - if low price and small size are critical, a decent choice. If you have some flexibility on that, look elsewhere.

I know you're probably going to buy speakers without being able to listen to them, but I do think you could get some idea of what to expect by reading up a bit more. Especially Ron's comments.
post #411 of 3363 Old 04-19-2007, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

No, I really don't think they would. Not on the first day, and not after a few months of listening to different things. The differences aren't subtle, at least not all of the differences - they're really different flavors.

And certainly if you put all your money in the front speakers, you'll get audibly better quality speakers, something you'd hear right away and appreciate even more over time.

Well said...my take on the x-ls speakers is that you'll have to spend considerably more or look used to get signifcant or even marginal improvement. I feel the same way about the Mordaunt-Short 902s that are actually a bit cheaper from accessories4less (I have the ones with prettier cabinets , a previous rev), but AFIK they aren't offered as a package.

If you stay on this forum or others over time you are going to meet local enthusiasts. The ones that have been in this hobby (addiction) longer might have very nice midfi or high end equipment for you to listen to. You'll be surprised how well your modest budget gear stands up. If you're like me, you'll have to think long and hard about any upgrades...that's part of the fun.

So have some...

post #412 of 3363 Old 04-19-2007, 05:54 PM

This thread so far has been a huge help so kudos to those who have helped make it so.

I am at the point of upgrading a few things and need some advice.

I plan to get the onkyo 605 when it comes out and once i do the system i have now wont work.(well thats what i tell the wife ) I was going to go with the r5 klipsch series which still seems to be a very good setup, but it also is 1900 so i was wanting to go cheaper so that being said i now am looking alot cheaper.
I remember years ago going into CC and listening to some polk and fell in love with there sound, not to mention I and many of my friends ran there mids and highs for car audio,anyways so here is a setup i was looking at and want some direction ...Thanks in advance.

AVR: Onkyo 605
dvd: Toshiba hd-a2
tv: Sharp 37" 43u lcd
This stuff is already bought or on its way.

4x r150
1x CSi3
2x mon50
1x PSW10
This is where i need a little advice.I plan tomake some upgrades down the road but this is what im looking to go with for a 7.1 system,will using the r150 as the sides and rear be ok?My room right now is very small i am about 5ft for listning or viewing point,but i will be buying a house with in the year and want to make sure i can be ok once i move this stuff to a larger room. i will prob. never stop upgrading but i want to start somewhere and this seem more in my budget then 1900, plus i wont have to wait till next year to upgrade what i have now.
post #413 of 3363 Old 04-19-2007, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilham1 View Post

This thread so far has been a huge help so kudos to those who have helped make it so.

I am at the point of upgrading a few things and need some advice.

I plan to get the onkyo 605 when it comes out and once i do the system i have now wont work.(well thats what i tell the wife ) I was going to go with the r5 klipsch series which still seems to be a very good setup, but it also is 1900 so i was wanting to go cheaper so that being said i now am looking alot cheaper.
I remember years ago going into CC and listening to some polk and fell in love with there sound, not to mention I and many of my friends ran there mids and highs for car audio,anyways so here is a setup i was looking at and want some direction ...Thanks in advance.

AVR: Onkyo 605
dvd: Toshiba hd-a2
tv: Sharp 37" 43u lcd
This stuff is already bought or on its way.

4x r150
1x CSi3
2x mon50
1x PSW10
This is where i need a little advice.I plan tomake some upgrades down the road but this is what im looking to go with for a 7.1 system,will using the r150 as the sides and rear be ok?My room right now is very small i am about 5ft for listning or viewing point,but i will be buying a house with in the year and want to make sure i can be ok once i move this stuff to a larger room. i will prob. never stop upgrading but i want to start somewhere and this seem more in my budget then 1900, plus i wont have to wait till next year to upgrade what i have now.

First, you don't have the room for 7.1 so go 5.1 for now...get the side surrounds later. I'd move up to M60s and drop down to a CS1 (it matches, the CSi3 is RTi and brighter than your fronts) for surrounds the R150s will work fine. They give that Polk sub away with the speakers for a reason...it sucks...get the Bic. I don't know what that will do with your budget, but Tweeters sells the Monitor 60s as the Euro branded T90Es (or something like it) for $350 a pair all the time. They are the sweet spot of the current Monitor lineup. If you can find some mint Monitor 7s for ~ $120-150, you will thank me. They are 20 years old at least, but sound better...much better...than the current Monitors. I see them all the time on Craigslist.

post #414 of 3363 Old 04-19-2007, 08:17 PM

I purchased the Csi25 and a set of R150s from frys for a total of $125 w/ shipping. They showed up today. The construction of the speakers is very good. I was pleasently suprised by the speakers. Thanks to those who suggested these. They are bigger then I thought. Have to figure out how to get the huge center to go on my slim Samsung 46in DLP. People get get these. For the price- awesome. Now I am getting ready to order the the Bic H-100. Ya, I decided to break the bank and get to H-100(No regrets). Now I am trying to decide on the reciever. My question about recievers is what really is the difference between the Onkyo 504, Pioneer 516, Yamaha 5930, and the Panny 55? I know very little about recievers. Any help would be great.
Brian

P50G20/25
Polk CS125
Polk R150(2)
Acoustech H100
Onkyo TX-SR506
Sony Blu Ray BDP-S350
Harmony Remote 880
post #415 of 3363 Old 04-19-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:

First, you don't have the room for 7.1 so go 5.1 for now...get the side surrounds later. I'd move up to M60s and drop down to a CS1 (it matches, the CSi3 is RTi and brighter than your fronts) for surrounds the R150s will work fine. They give that Polk sub away with the speakers for a reason...it sucks...get the Bic. I don't know what that will do with your budget, but Tweeters sells the Monitor 60s as the Euro branded T90Es (or something like it) for $350 a pair all the time. They are the sweet spot of the current Monitor lineup. If you can find some mint Monitor 7s for ~ $120-150, you will thank me. They are 20 years old at least, but sound better...much better...than the current Monitors. I see them all the time on Craigslist.

Thanks. Its funny you said the mon 60 because the first plan i had was with the mon 60, the bic was alsowas on my list but moved it out when i thought , what the heck the polk sub cant be that bad..But i guess that why i should have stuck with my first instinct..Thanks for the suggetion of going 5.1 instead its been a a big run around in my head which way to go, i thought that 7.1 would be to much but figured i do it any ways but saving the 50 will allow me to add it to the sub cost.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Also if i dont go with the bic for a sub will the x-sub or the stf-1 be just as good?
post #416 of 3363 Old 04-19-2007, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilham1 View Post

Thanks. Its funny you said the mon 60 because the first plan i had was with the mon 60, the bic was alsowas on my list but moved it out when i thought , what the heck the polk sub cant be that bad..But i guess that why i should have stuck with my first instinct..Thanks for the suggetion of going 5.1 instead its been a a big run around in my head which way to go, i thought that 7.1 would be to much but figured i do it any ways but saving the 50 will allow me to add it to the sub cost.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Also if i dont go with the bic for a sub will the x-sub or the stf-1 be just as good?

www.tweeter.com...unfortunately, though I saw the T90s offered last week, I don't see them today. But keep checking, they go up for $350/Pair quite often (hope the haven't been discontinued). You might also check ebay...

post #417 of 3363 Old 04-20-2007, 12:09 AM

Ron,
Thanks for the reply, it looks as if i didnt edit in time..lol. I thought after i posted asking that I was being a little lazy and googled tweeter. thanks a million for the help. i dont know if you seen it or not but anything on my ? on the subs?
post #418 of 3363 Old 04-20-2007, 12:35 AM

Anyone looking for a csi3 center speaker there is one on ebay for 24.99 plus 30 shipping.I dont know much about ebay but wow thats a pretty good price.
post #419 of 3363 Old 04-20-2007, 05:08 AM

My question about recievers is what really is the difference between the Onkyo 504, Pioneer 516, Yamaha 5930, and the Panny 55? I know very little about recievers. Any help would be great.
Brian[/quote]

The Onkyo 504 would be the one to purchase. Onkyo has an excellent reputation and makes quality products.
post #420 of 3363 Old 04-20-2007, 06:07 AM

So when matching the POLK CS1 are the Monitor 30's or 40's the best to go with so the center blends in with the L/R mains? I was reading a review on the CS1 at Cnet and they sugest either of those.

Also, I've noticed in a couple places that the Cherry CS1 is about $40 - $50 cheaper than the black CS1. Is this just due to the popularity of the black CS1?
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page