post #541 of 3363 Old 04-25-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post

Hey guys, this may have been discussed and I just missed it but. Has anyone used the BIC AMERICA speakers. The specs and look of these thing are fantastic for the price, and being associated with HSU is a plus. Has anyone got an opinion on the DV62si and the DV62CLR-S. I think these may be for me!!!!

They were talked about a great deal over at Audioholics about a year ago. If you're a Klipsch fan, then you'd probably like them. You might want to run over to AH and do a search.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3363 Old 04-25-2007, 02:54 PM

Liked: 10
Don't forget to try the Harman Kardon hkts 18 5.1 Speaker System. There acoustically matched very well to the Onkyo Receivers and they sound great!
post #543 of 3363 Old 04-25-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasherrr View Post

Ok, I am done. Just bought the Onkyo 505 for $270 shipped, figure I can always ebay or craigslist later when the time comes to upgrade. G-star and everyone else, thanks for your help.

Last question - if anyone has any opinions on the "Paint the screen" vs. "Buy this $400 100-106" screen" please let me know.

All in all I think i did pretty good with everyone's help - $3k for 1080p panny, $420 for the HSU sub, $270 for the Onkyo receiver, squeeze some extra life out of my existing PSB's, maybe paint the screen for $150 and call it a day.

Jay

Projector Screen: OK, after reading evry thread of Goo vs Behr Silverscreen vs Gatorboard etc, I convinced myself to Goo the screen..but then I changed my mind. Looks to me like its at least $200 in materials to Goo it (not to mention the pain in the butt of sand/spackle/repeat to get the wall ready) So I said fork it.

I searched and found a seemingly good deal on this 105" 16:9 screen at a place called HTdepot. The screen is called Focupix. This company is about 15 miles from my office here in Northern Virginia, so I drove over and picked it up. I chatted up the owner for a little while and he says they bought a manufacturing facility in China and the screens are shipped direct from there. There was $100 off a fixed screen with a special coupon ("dreamscape")and bottom line it was $250 out the door - so I bought it. Seemed reasonable for a 105" fixed screen. There it sits in my garage until my Panny gets here from Costco tomorrow. I have no clue how I am going to mount that bad boy, but I guess I will figure something out.

Now that I have all my components, is it worth $699 to Firedog to come mount and install the speakers/screen/projector? Thanks people!
post #544 of 3363 Old 04-25-2007, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now that I have all my components, is it worth $699 to Firedog to come mount and install the speakers/screen/projector? Thanks people!

If you have the coin, it may save you some frustration. Just be sure that's an all-in price for what you've contracted them to do. Ever have a front door hung by Home Depot? The installation of ~ $500 excludes a host of other add-ons that pop the bill up to ~ $1300.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #545 of 3363 Old 04-25-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

If you have the coin, it may save you some frustration. Just be sure that's an all-in price for what you've contracted them to do. Ever have a front door hung by Home Depot? The installation of ~ $500 excludes a host of other add-ons that pop the bill up to ~ $1300.

Thanks Ron - Just thinking about installing all this stuff makes me want to barf. I know I can probably do it, I just dont want to half-arse it and end up unhappy trying to save a few beans.

Stopped by Home Depot today also and just to confirm - all things being equal, do i want the 14 gauge or the 16 gauge?
post #546 of 3363 Old 04-25-2007, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

Stopped by Home Depot today also and just to confirm - all things being equal, do i want the 14 gauge or the 16 gauge?

How long are your runs (length of wires running to speakers)? If they're all under 50 feet, 16 should be fine.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #547 of 3363 Old 04-25-2007, 09:32 PM

Hey guys,

Just wanted to thank everyone for this thread (esp. G-star and Ron Temple). I feel like I've gained a huge edge compared to everyone else out there when it comes to setting up a decent home theater system with separate components instead of a HTIB.

Purchased the Ascend bookshelf speakers 170SE and managed to score a HK235 on ebay for $219.40 (which includes shipping.). Still waiting on the receiver to arrive here, but I'll let everyone know how it sounds when it all comes together. I'm planning on purchasing a subwoofer but that'll be a couple months down the road.

THANKS!!
post #548 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersmith View Post

Hey guys,

Just wanted to thank everyone for this thread (esp. G-star and Ron Temple). I feel like I've gained a huge edge compared to everyone else out there when it comes to setting up a decent home theater system with separate components instead of a HTIB.

Purchased the Ascend bookshelf speakers 170SE and managed to score a HK235 on ebay for $219.40 (which includes shipping.). Still waiting on the receiver to arrive here, but I'll let everyone know how it sounds when it all comes together. I'm planning on purchasing a subwoofer but that'll be a couple months down the road.

THANKS!!

You did good...you're gonna like the Ascends...

post #549 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersmith View Post

i'm glad to see this thread working out as i had hoped and people contributing as much as they have...it already looks like several people have put together some great budget HT setups. as ron mentioned earlier, it would be great if you guys could come back and leave some impressions and pics.

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
post #550 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 46
G, you really ought to update the OP to include new ideas and definitely ought to include some basic info on speaker wire and speaker placement.

Roger Russell's classic speaker wire table
Crutchfield on speaker wire

Speaker placement

Lots of good general info:

Crutchfield Advisor
Aperion

Good luck, my last post in this thread for a while, at least.
post #551 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 05:28 AM

Newbie here. Just bought my first receiver (onk 605). From what I saw here, I decided to go with the Bic H-100.

It looks like the Polk r150 are popular in this thread, but I'm not having any luck finding any at outpost and some other places want almost 2x as much as what you guys were mentioning with some sale prices on the polk.

Is there another good alternative? Someone recommended JBL arena Venue's to me, but that really might be pushing my budget. If I were to find the extra couple $, are those jbl's worth it? Or are the non-on sale Polk's still a better buy? I was really only wanting to spend another 200-300 on the 4 speakers and center. Or is that something, again, where I'd be better off spending another 50 bucks and having much better speakers?

I'm a newb to proper stuff here, so apologies for all the questions. Just hoping to get some extra knowledge dumped on me.

Thanks!
post #552 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the 605 from?? Do you have it or is it a pre-release buy? Thanks.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #553 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the 605 from?? Do you have it or is it a pre-release buy? Thanks.

You can preorder over the phone with JR right now even though it's not listed on the site. Still debating whether to do it or not. I just know if I don't the price will prolly go up a couple hundred then I will be kicking myself.
post #554 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

They originally had it for pre-order for $399. Is that still the same?

post #555 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 06:28 AM

Yep that price is still valid. If you do order ask if that price will still be valid when it comes out, or if it will go up. I didn't get an answer when I asked.
post #556 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm picking up the phone. I'll let you know. Thanks again.

post #557 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Its on order @ $399. $24 shipping but I got the + 2yrs ext warranty and no shipping charge so the extended warranty was $4. ETA first week in May so I should see it around September.

Thanks again for your help blobula. If you're going to do it, I would, because once the news gets out that you can call it in, they'll be a feeding frenzy. I was playing the waiting game to see who would flinch on price but right now all my neurosis' (neuroses!!) are kickin in.

post #558 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 06:51 AM

So that price will definitely do up when it's released then?

Your getting yours in September? Wow, there must be a lot of orders for this thing.
post #559 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

G, you really ought to update the OP to include new ideas and definitely ought to include some basic info on speaker wire and speaker placement.

good idea...i've taken the liberty to include the links you referenced...thanks.

i'm going out of town for a few days, but when i return i might try to update the OP with new speaker/sub/receiver ideas that seem to be flying around lately.

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
post #560 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobula View Post

So that price will definitely do up when it's released then?

Your getting yours in September? Wow, there must be a lot of orders for this thing.

The September thing was sarcasm. Sorry to mislead you. I can't say what will happen when they do hit the shelves but others (B&H) have them on pre-order for $499. I have bought from J&R before with no problem but I don't know if they will pull a price fast one or not. People like Amazon have pre-order price protection so that if the price drops before shipping you get the lower price. I don't know about J&R. I shall research it.

I can't wait to get it. I have a test disk in DTS HD MA mastered by DTS that I can't play (to its fullest potential) yet.

post #561 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbftp View Post

Newbie here. Just bought my first receiver (onk 605). From what I saw here, I decided to go with the Bic H-100.

It looks like the Polk r150 are popular in this thread, but I'm not having any luck finding any at outpost and some other places want almost 2x as much as what you guys were mentioning with some sale prices on the polk.

Is there another good alternative? Someone recommended JBL arena Venue's to me, but that really might be pushing my budget. If I were to find the extra couple $, are those jbl's worth it? Or are the non-on sale Polk's still a better buy? I was really only wanting to spend another 200-300 on the 4 speakers and center. Or is that something, again, where I'd be better off spending another 50 bucks and having much better speakers?

I'm a newb to proper stuff here, so apologies for all the questions. Just hoping to get some extra knowledge dumped on me.

Thanks!

The estimated ship date for my Polk R150's is 05/02/2007 and they are currently on back order so maybe they might have them in stock in a week or so.

From what others have said the AV123 x-ls series speakers are prolly a good choice.
post #562 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 08:07 AM
cer

Just a heads up...

Onkyo is having a sale on refurbished equipment until April 29. All refurbs are an additional 10% off.

I got the 504 shipped for $133.10
post #563 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 08:20 AM

can someone put up a link for the Onkyo refurb site for those that want to check them out. I would but work filters are blocking it.
-Rich

WHERE THE WHITE WOMEN AT!
post #564 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebxr View Post

can someone put up a link for the Onkyo refurb site for those that want to check them out. I would but work filters are blocking it.
-Rich

Sure: http://www.shoponkyo.com/homepage.cfm

dave1smith just posted that there is a 10% off sale going on. The S790 is available for $286.

post #565 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 08:47 AM

Okay I've learned a lot on this thread but it's time for another noob quesiton. :-] Is there any SQ difference between digital coax and optical toslink cables? My computer has outputs for both and I'm wondering which I should use. I believe the cables are very similarly priced on monoprice.com so it seems that shouldn't be an issue. My HK340 has a buttload of inputs so I'm assuming (tho I haven't YET confirmed) that either will work on that end.

So yeah, ceterus paribus, is there any reason to use one over the other? BTW, this will be a 25' run.

Thx,
D
post #566 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobula View Post

The estimated ship date for my Polk R150's is 05/02/2007 and they are currently on back order so maybe they might have them in stock in a week or so.

From what others have said the AV123 x-ls series speakers are prolly a good choice.

I think that the x-ls are out of my budget for the time being. I'll keep my eyes out for the r150's in about a week.
post #567 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 09:19 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrowdy View Post

Okay I've learned a lot on this thread but it's time for another noob quesiton. :-] Is there any SQ difference between digital coax and optical toslink cables? My computer has outputs for both and I'm wondering which I should use. I believe the cables are very similarly priced on monoprice.com so it seems that shouldn't be an issue. My HK340 has a buttload of inputs so I'm assuming (tho I haven't YET confirmed) that either will work on that end.

So yeah, ceterus paribus, is there any reason to use one over the other? BTW, this will be a 25' run.

Thx,
D

I've got a related question to this. Btw, I think I read that there isn't any particular reason to use digital coax over toslink or vice versa, but I may be wrong. What I really want to know is, do these 2 cable types fall into the same BS paradigm as speaker cables? i.e. - Is there a reason to buy the super expensive digital optical cables, or will the cheapest ones work just as well, w/ no loss in quality? Is online at a place like monoprice.com the best place, or can these cables be purchased at a B&M store for a good price? Thanks again guys!
post #568 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 09:36 AM

Monoprice cables will do as good or better than the high price cables at BB or CC. Dont waste your money.
-Rich

WHERE THE WHITE WOMEN AT!
post #569 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:

Look at the Acoustic Research bookshelfs from MCM electronics for $49/pr. They even come with mounting brackets. And you can buy a matching center from J&R. You'll get out the door under $200 including shipping.

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...Fid=58%2D10995

Center speaker. http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4151631

There's a review with multiple pics in the speaker section. Pics in post #40.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=AR+VP25

I've never been impressed with the Polk R15 and I've listened to it multiple times because of the bargain price. So if the R150 is the same speaker in a different box, then its just so-so. Good for the money but just ok overall.

MCM is where many of us purchased our Advent Heritage bookshelf speakers for $32/pr. It was a ridiculous price and an incredible bargain. Once word got out those 300 pairs went fast. And shipping was something like $8 a pair!

Afro GT
post #570 of 3363 Old 04-26-2007, 10:43 AM

I'd just like to say thanks for this thread and the updates, very informative.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page